Your Greatest Album...

Oscar Namechange

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Urban Hymns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raven_ ... ers_album)

What are yours?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

I wouldn't know where to start - or finish. It would depend on my mood and it would change from day to day. It would be easier maybe to pick my top one hundred albums and then choose from them, depending on my state of mind.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
OpenMind

Your Greatest Album...

Post by OpenMind »

I tend to go with Snowfire on this one. I have a wide range of music to choose from too. Classical, various styles of rock, reggae. I also have my parents' albums and 78s. I have a version of Teddy Bear's Picnic on 78 somewhere. I even have a single made by Bernard Bresslaw. Collared that one of my parents when I was about 5.
Ozay

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Ozay »

I quite like Tangerine Dream i have got four of there albums now. I think 'Le Parc' from 1985 is one of the best it is like listening to some action film soundtrack it's good Electro. I also got 'Hergest Ridge' by Mike Oldfield that is a great album, eventhough there is only two long tracks on it, I got it for £3 from a great shop in Manchester where they sell collectable stuff.
OrangeTiger

Your Greatest Album...

Post by OrangeTiger »

For me It'd have to be a tie between Dream Theater's "Scenes From A Memory" and Devin Townsend's "Synchestra." Both are masterpieces.
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

OrangeTiger;1335346 wrote: For me It'd have to be a tie between Dream Theater's "Scenes From A Memory" and Devin Townsend's "Synchestra." Both are masterpieces.

I like Dream Theater too but I'd never heard of Devin Townsend. I listened to a track on Youtube and downloaded the album on the strength of that. I'll give it chance to rattle around the empty spaces in my head and report back

Winston Churchill
Odie

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1328107 wrote: I wouldn't know where to start - or finish. It would depend on my mood and it would change from day to day. It would be easier maybe to pick my top one hundred albums and then choose from them, depending on my state of mind.

oh c'mon, pick one!:thinking:

The Beatles White:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Your Greatest Album...

Huge favourite of mine as a stroppy teenager was this and I still love every track especially 'She's a rainbow'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milestones ... nes_album)
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

Odie;1335395 wrote: oh c'mon, pick one!:thinking:

I wouldn't know where to start - or finish. It would depend on my mood and it would change from day to day. It would be easier maybe to pick my top one hundred albums and then choose from them, depending on my state of mind.

There's an echo in here.

Winston Churchill
Odie

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1335484 wrote: I wouldn't know where to start - or finish. It would depend on my mood and it would change from day to day. It would be easier maybe to pick my top one hundred albums and then choose from them, depending on my state of mind.

There's an echo in here.

'There's an echo in here'---geez I wonder who you got that from.:wah:

My mood wouldn't change from day to day for a greatest album, oh well.

you must be female!:yh_rotfl
LarsMac

Your Greatest Album...

Post by LarsMac »

To choose just one, would be difficult.

Probably Jimi Hendrix, Live at Filmore East,

or perhaps The Allman Brothers, same venue.

Or The Grateful Dead, Filmore West 1969

Yeah, that's the ticket.

The Dead at Filmore. That's the one.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1335494 wrote: To choose just one, would be difficult.

Probably Jimi Hendrix, Live at Filmore East,

or perhaps The Allman Brothers, same venue.

Or The Grateful Dead, Filmore West 1969

Yeah, that's the ticket.

The Dead at Filmore. That's the one.

It is really hard to just pick just one sometimes, I like all your choices.:guitarist
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

Odie;1335487 wrote: 'There's an echo in here'---geez I wonder who you got that from.:wah:

My mood wouldn't change from day to day for a greatest album, oh well.

you must be female!:yh_rotfl

Your music library must be limited then if you can only choose one. If you have had access to thousands of albums over 5 decades and innumerable genres, choosing one favourite album is most definitely impossible.

Oh and for the record and to alleviate your obvious confusion, I am very much a male.

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

Odie;1335496 wrote: It is really hard to just pick just one sometimes, I like all your choices.:guitarist

Well then. You cant quite make up your mind.

You must be female

Winston Churchill
Odie

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1335497 wrote: Your music library must be limited then if you can only choose one. If you have had access to thousands of albums over 5 decades and innumerable genres, choosing one favourite album is most definitely impossible.

Oh and for the record and to alleviate your obvious confusion, I am very much a male.

has anyone owned thousands of albums from the past 5 decades? doubtful.

Snowfire;1335498 wrote: Well then. You cant quite make up your mind.

You must be female

ahem.......... I said sometimes.
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

Odie;1335501 wrote: has anyone owned thousands of albums from the past 5 decades? doubtful.

ahem, I said sometimes.

Not doubtful at all. I have, in the form of vinyl, cd or mp3s a little short of 3,000 albums ranging from the 60's to present day. I am far from unusual. A good friend of mine probably has 3 times that number

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

OrangeTiger;1335346 wrote: For me It'd have to be a tie between Dream Theater's "Scenes From A Memory" and Devin Townsend's "Synchestra." Both are masterpieces.

As promised, I'm listening to it now and I like very much and shall invest some time downloading their back catalogue

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Your Greatest Album...

Snowfire;1335502 wrote: Not doubtful at all. I have, in the form of vinyl, cd or mp3s a little short of 3,000 albums ranging from the 60's to present day. I am far from unusual. A good friend of mine probably has 3 times that number
When I first met Mr O, he did Indeed have thousands of albums Including Nana Mouskuri.

Our first house was a 3 bedroom affair and the smallest room was just shelves of his albums nothing else and Mr O being Mr O and ex Military, of course they were all In alphabetical order.

Over the years, many never got played so we did a car boot sale and sold the bulk of them just because when we moved to this house, we no longer had the space for them.
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1335508 wrote: When I first met Mr O, he did Indeed have thousands of albums Including Nana Mouskuri.

Our first house was a 3 bedroom affair and the smallest room was just shelves of his albums nothing else and Mr O being Mr O and ex Military, of course they were all In alphabetical order.

Over the years, many never got played so we did a car boot sale and sold the bulk of them just because when we moved to this house, we no longer had the space for them.

Anybody who has Nana Maskouri albums amongst their collosal vinyl collection is a God. Mine of course where organised in ascending and descending colours and hues untill I discovered one day, that I was really a man and rearanged them in order of listening pleasure and preference. This didnt work either because I could never decide which records should go to the front and which would go at the back. I was always changing them, so I decided to simply listen to them and enjoy.

It sort of works :yh_wink

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Your Greatest Album...

Snowfire;1335510 wrote: Anybody who has Nana Maskouri albums amongst their collosal vinyl collection is a God. Mine of course where organised in ascending and descending colours and hues untill I discovered one day, that I was really a man and rearanged them in order of listening pleasure and preference. This didnt work either because I could never decide which records should go to the front and which would go at the back. I was always changing them, so I decided to simply listen to them and enjoy.

It sort of works :yh_wink Well, now the vinyl collections of course have been replaced by CD's or DVD's as we have Cinema surround sound. Have to say That this Is particually awesome when playing The Stranglers live at The Royal Albert Hall with full stringed Orchestra.

You can see the back of my head In this video and my brothers back baldy patch can be seen 4 rows back.

The CD's are naturally easier to store but we have ours In boxes and catagories. There Is my Stranglers and Stones Collection In the 'Touch these and you die' catagory.

The 'Car' Collection which Includes Mr O's rabid Ibiza collection for annoying the neighbourhood whilst driving.

The rest fall Into 'Most played' box, the 'Some-times played box' and the 'Stick them In the garage because we will never play them again' box.
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

Talking of "touch them and you die", my first proper, expensive hi fi I bought back in 1980, was a no go for the kids. I seriously considered barbed wire or an electric fence, or maybe a large intimidating doorman with a baseball bat, to keep the wretched little fingers away from pushing the little soft bit in the middle of the speaker cones.

My wife one day, many years later, recounted the time she caught my youngest little darling, swishing the arm of the turn table back and forth across a record. She said she actually screamed a bit and almost fainted with shock. Well she did when she had to shell out for a new cartridge and album. I never found out and my daughter is still alive

Winston Churchill
Odie

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1335502 wrote: Not doubtful at all. I have, in the form of vinyl, cd or mp3s a little short of 3,000 albums ranging from the 60's to present day. I am far from unusual. A good friend of mine probably has 3 times that number

Oh my, I've never heard of anyone having that many, great that you have the originals.:guitarist

I good friend of mine, he has roughly 500 albums and I thought that was alot.
Snowfire

Your Greatest Album...

Post by Snowfire »

Snowfire;1335382 wrote: I like Dream Theater too but I'd never heard of Devin Townsend. I listened to a track on Youtube and downloaded the album on the strength of that. I'll give it chance to rattle around the empty spaces in my head and report back

Well, I've listened to that album "Synchestra" twice now. Brilliant stuff. I'm now listening to "Ziltoid the Magnificent" Despite the fact I might not stop my ears from bleeding, I love it.

Tinnitus is already a part of my life, a bit extra would barely register

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Your Greatest Album...

Snowfire;1335515 wrote: Talking of "touch them and you die", my first proper, expensive hi fi I bought back in 1980, was a no go for the kids. I seriously considered barbed wire or an electric fence, or maybe a large intimidating doorman with a baseball bat, to keep the wretched little fingers away from pushing the little soft bit in the middle of the speaker cones.

My wife one day, many years later, recounted the time she caught my youngest little darling, swishing the arm of the turn table back and forth across a record. She said she actually screamed a bit and almost fainted with shock. Well she did when she had to shell out for a new cartridge and album. I never found out and my daughter is still alive
One thing always stuck In my mind.

I was 11 years old and had just bought my very first vinyl record, Jumping Jack Flash by the Stones. I had saved my pocket money until the day came when I went to the local hard-ware store In the village to buy the single of the Decca label. I ran home clutching my prized possession In a brown paper bag so excited until my Mother looked at me In that haughty type way she had about her and said... 'And what exactly are you going to play It On?.....

Over 30 years went by and I was at my sisters funeral. As the Family passed the line of coffin bearers, a man whispered to me... 'Still saving your money to buy Rolling Stones records'? Now... he had some memory :wah::wah::wah:

The Incident with the Jumping Jack Flash was followed by lots of ' Please can I have a record player Dad.... Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese' Until I got my way.

Since then, Mr O and I have opted for the DVD surround sound but also have a wicked Hi Fi that I am told can register .8 on the Ricter scale In neighbouring Wales.

Return to “General Music”