Pictures Of Lily!

jones jones

Pictures Of Lily!

Post by jones jones »

Lillie Langtry (13 October 1853 – 12 February 1929), born Emilie Charlotte Le Breton, was a highly successful British actress born on the island of Jersey. A renowned beauty, she was nicknamed the 'Jersey Lily' and had a number of prominent lovers, including the future King Edward VII.

The fictitious character Irene Adler, who bested Sherlock Holmes when he sought an incriminating photograph of her and a European monarch, is thought to have been based upon Langtry.

Langtry was also the subject of The Who's 1967 recording, 'Pictures of Lily' about a young man infatuated by her image. A line from the song states 'She's been dead since 1929'."

Isn't she a ceauty??

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
tabby

Pictures Of Lily!

Post by tabby »

Yes, very much so! I think the legendary Judge Roy Bean was also deeply infatuated with her.
Snooz

Pictures Of Lily!

Post by Snooz »

She's a little androgynous looking in this photo although she's obviously very attractive. It'd be fun to go back in time to meet these famously charismatic people.

jones jones

Pictures Of Lily!

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1381147 wrote: She's a little androgynous looking in this photo although she's obviously very attractive. It'd be fun to go back in time to meet these famously charismatic people.

Hey! You know me ... I would give a gazillion bucks (if I had it) to go back to the twenties & thirties!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Gentle Brother

Pictures Of Lily!

Post by Gentle Brother »

The classic English rose. A lady who put herself about (!) but it did wonders for her career...

Return to “General Music”