Whitney's Gone!

koan

Whitney's Gone!

Post by koan »

I think her most honest song early in life was:

don't know what ad you got but mine was how to virtual golf via video game. Ignore that part.

After that, her misfortune was that she found Bobby Brown to dance with and never really got over it.

Some might say her later life honesty was that song about the children of the world but I protest.

I think the only other possibility for "real"ness was I've Got Nothing

Snooz

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Snooz »

I was never into her singing so much... that's not my style of music at all... but I enjoyed her movies just because I liked looking at her. She did have an extraordinarily powerful voice in her youth and combined with her beauty was quite mesmerizing in film.
Bruv

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Bruv »

spot;1384448 wrote: I was disagreed with last night about the "untrue sentimental claptrap". If anyone would like to name even one of her songs in which the lyrics aren't, I'll go and see. I know of none.

I would like to see your alternative list of "true unsentimental opposite of claptrap" type love songs...........being a love song gives it a bye on common sense doesn't it ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Whitney's Gone!

Post by spot »

Bruv;1384553 wrote: I would like to see your alternative list of "true unsentimental opposite of claptrap" type love songs...........being a love song gives it a bye on common sense doesn't it ?

I could go on for hours - my instant reaction is Tonight Your Love Is Over, Lady Of A Day, Have You Got A Biro I Can Borrow?, Girl On The Train, Between Us There Is Nothing or even, lord help us, Song for Rita which is accuracy beyond the call of duty. Shall I switch lyricists? How about The Stranger Song as a perfect example of unsentimental realism which still recognises there's no alternative but to go for it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Bruv »

OK then let's compare.......

And so goodbye, my lady of a day

Now let your step be long and now your laugh be gay

It's only right that everything went wrong

It couldn't happen any other way

Remember when we held on in the rain

The nights we almost lost it

Once again we can take the night into tomorrow

Living on feelings

Touching you I feel it all again

Tonight your love is over

Tomorrow it will all be put away

Like the clouded ruins of a god

A pharoah put aside against a rainy day

And your silent eyes are crying

That tomorrow is to be so very soon

The silver coins in your pocket are sighing

For envy of the moon

And I hope life will treat you kind

And I hope that you have all

That you ever dreamed of

Oh I do wish you joy and I wish you happiness

But above all of this, I wish you love

I love you, I will always love you

All seem pretty much the same to me...............
spot

Whitney's Gone!

Post by spot »

Bruv;1384602 wrote: All seem pretty much the same to me...............That's because you're selectively trimming the lyrics of Michael Masser and Will Jennings, not that I'm familiar with their names, to what might be acceptable in this discussion.

The selection I offered you are, I suggest, profoundly true rather than tritely and embarrassingly faux. Consider the last three lines of http://www.poemhunter.com/song/didn-t-w ... ve-it-all/ for example, since you chose it. Name me anyone who's reached our age for whom that's been an invariant fact of their life. The entire notion is a hundred years beyond its sell-by date.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Bruv »

I haven't 'selected' anything, I took the lyrics of your examples and after DuckDuckGo-ing (doesn't roll off the tongue like Googled does it) for some Whitney lyrics, took similar type songs and interleaved them with your selection.

Last three lines ?

We’ll never lose it again

Cause once you know what love is

You never let it end......

do you mean ?

Taken in the context of the song that precedes it ?

It is neither trite or embarrassingly faux, it is a recognition that a good loving relationship is worth working on.

A love song is a love song, and there is nothing wrong with a bit of tear jerking heart tugging syrupy nonsense on occasion.
spot

Whitney's Gone!

Post by spot »

Bruv;1384611 wrote: It is neither trite or embarrassingly faux, it is a recognition that a good loving relationship is worth working on.But that's not what it says. "a good loving relationship is worth working on", of course, yes. "We’ll never lose it again" and "once you know what love is You never let it end" are both moonshine. Neither fits with experience in the slightest.
Bruv

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Bruv »

spot;1384614 wrote: But that's not what it says. "a good loving relationship is worth working on", of course, yes. "We’ll never lose it again" and "You never let it end" are both moonshine.

OK then what does.....

For envy of the moon

......mean ?

Silent eyes ? are there any other sort ?

Coins sighing, envying the bloody moon ?

It's poetry to be sung.........its for feeling not thinking about.

Remember......you cannot analyse emotion.....well you can, but.
Oscar Namechange

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

koan;1384547 wrote: I think her most honest song early in life was:

don't know what ad you got but mine was how to virtual golf via video game. Ignore that part.

After that, her misfortune was that she found Bobby Brown to dance with and never really got over it.

Some might say her later life honesty was that song about the children of the world but I protest.

I think the only other possibility for "real"ness was I've Got Nothing

I wanna dance with somebody was the song that made her big In England.

It was full of life, vitality, beauty and energy.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Whitney's Gone!

Post by spot »

Bruv;1384617 wrote: OK then what does.....

For envy of the moon

......mean ?

Silent eyes ? are there any other sort ?

Coins sighing, envying the bloody moon ?

It's poetry to be sung.........its for feeling not thinking about.

Remember......you cannot analyse emotion.....well you can, but.

Tonight your love is over. Tomorrow it will all be put away, like the clouded ruins of a god a pharoah put aside against a rainy day. Putting things aside for a rainy day is insurance, Pharaohs insured against the afterlife by stashing god-images and wealth inside their tombs where they were put away or removed from the world indefinitely. By the time a future Lord Carnarvon re-opens the tomb what's left of the god-image will be a mere clouded ghost of the vibrant original. The simile puts the capacity to love, from the perspective of the singer, into the same category of unapproachable suspended animation and disintegration. I agree it's poetic and imaginative but it's within the realm of analysis.

What I'm trying to suggest is that some expressions, poetic or bald, describe what actually happens to people and others are practically unknown, and that the lyrics of the songs sung by Ms Houston are, taken bye and large, in the latter category of pipe-dreams.
Bruv

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Bruv »

spot;1384628 wrote: I agree it's poetic and imaginative but it's within the realm of analysis.

....... and that the lyrics of the songs sung by Ms Houston are, taken bye and large, in the latter category of pipe-dreams.

ALL song lyrics are poetry, on differing levels.

Oh yea the "bye and large" bit..........It's Pop music.... popular music, its light and frothy, like dreams.

Sometimes suspending the thought process and going with the flow is best.
spot

Whitney's Gone!

Post by spot »

Or, of course, avoiding Pop in much the way you'd avoid syphilis and for similar health reasons - both will rot your mind.
Bruv

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Bruv »

spot;1384645 wrote: Or, of course, avoiding Pop in much the way you'd avoid syphilis and for similar health reasons - both will rot your mind.

Now you are equating having a bit of background music to a sexually transmitted disease ?

How's your haemorroids ?
spot

Whitney's Gone!

Post by spot »

Bruv;1384648 wrote: Now you are equating having a bit of background music to a sexually transmitted disease ?

How's your haemorroids ?

I was about to answer that I can't bend far enough to see but then I remembered the mirror.

I don't possess a mirror.

Ah, I hear you cry, but your laptop has a webcam.

No way mate. There are limits.
Bruv

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Bruv »

spot;1384651 wrote: I was about to answer that I can't bend far enough to see but then I remembered the mirror.

I don't possess a mirror.

Ah, I hear you cry, but your laptop has a webcam.

No way mate. There are limits.

If you were a caring person, you would have spared us all that image.

I shall have to have a quick listen to "The greatest love of all" for some light relief
theia

Whitney's Gone!

Post by theia »

Bruv;1384654 wrote: If you were a caring person, you would have spared us all that image.

I shall have to have a quick listen to "The greatest love of all" for some light relief

Or Man in the Mirror perhaps
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Bruv »

theia;1384658 wrote: Or Man in the Mirror perhaps

That would do............nah........was trying to forget about men and mirrors
koan

Whitney's Gone!

Post by koan »

Just wanted to say that its very funny how some news sites are condemning the Enquirer for publishing the photo of Whitney Houston in her coffin and putting a picture of the Enquirer's front page with the picture in their story.
flopstock

Whitney's Gone!

Post by flopstock »

koan;1386094 wrote: Just wanted to say that its very funny how some news sites are condemning the Enquirer for publishing the photo of Whitney Houston in her coffin and putting a picture of the Enquirer's front page with the picture in their story.

I just hope it was one of the hired help and not a 'friend' of the family.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bruv

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Bruv »

koan;1386094 wrote: Just wanted to say that its very funny how some news sites are condemning the Enquirer for publishing the photo of Whitney Houston in her coffin and putting a picture of the Enquirer's front page with the picture in their story.

It is a master stroke though isn't it?

They get to condemn their rivals gutter practices and get to show the picture.
flopstock

Whitney's Gone!

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1386107 wrote: It is a master stroke though isn't it?

They get to condemn their rivals gutter practices and get to show the picture.
the only one I saw had a picture of the cover with a black box over the picture in question
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

Whitney's Gone!

It's sadly what they do. I think It's only when family lawyers kick up, they remove them.

I was very shocked one night when I googled Anna Nicole Smith's death and was met with a pic of her dead.

Don;t click this link If you don't want to see her dead.... but this sort of thing must be very distressing for the families.

[moderator removal of link presumed to be an appalling invasion of privacy]
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Snooz »

oscar;1386194 wrote: It's sadly what they do. I think It's only when family lawyers kick up, they remove them.

I was very shocked one night when I googled Anna Nicole Smith's death and was met with a pic of her dead.

Don;t click this link If you don't want to see her dead.... but this sort of thing must be very distressing for the families.

[moderator removal of link presumed to be an appalling invasion of privacy]

If the moderator didn't click to see, why are they presuming it's an "appalling invasion of privacy"?
spot

Whitney's Gone!

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1386241 wrote: If the moderator didn't click to see, why are they presuming it's an "appalling invasion of privacy"?

Do you suppose "Don;t click this link If you don't want to see her dead" might have been a clue of sufficient magnitude?
Oscar Namechange

Whitney's Gone!

spot;1386242 wrote: Do you suppose "Don;t click this link If you don't want to see her dead" might have been a clue of sufficient magnitude? Don't be so ridiculous... The pic Is of her at peace In a casket . It's no different from any other pic of a dead body posted on this forum.

So I take It you will now delete all pics posted of any dead bodies?

You didn't delete Michael Jackson's picture dead on the trolley from here did you when It was posted In a link.

Pull yourself together man, you're over-reacting.
Snooz

Whitney's Gone!

Post by Snooz »

EEK!!!

Return to “General Music”