Gotye

koan

Gotye

Post by koan »

I'm obsessed with this song right now.

And with one of Kimbra's, who I discovered as a result of Gotye's song.

Richard Bell

Gotye

Post by Richard Bell »

Ghomeshi interviewed him the other day. You can likely find the podcast and Youtube video of the interview at CBC.ca | Q
littleCJelkton

Gotye

Post by littleCJelkton »

As a person who plays an instrument I dislike the synthetic music of each, but with its straight from the 80's Peter Gabriel/ Phil Collins vibe the Gotye song is alright. The Kimbra song I feel is just straight (manufactured/cookie cutter/buble-gum/ hey this is the popular sound now so it will sell") junk. I say that especially when you saw in the Gotye song she has more creative juices waiting to be released and probably would be if she didn't have to sing music that was manufactured for her to sing by record labels.
koan

Gotye

Post by koan »

bubblegum? It's full of social criticism and cheeky disestablishmentarianism.
littleCJelkton

Gotye

Post by littleCJelkton »

if you watch the video with the song but the song in itself is a bubblegum establisment song (Kimbra-settle down)

if you want an disestablishment song here you go

koan

Gotye

Post by koan »

Perhaps it's a matter of style. I like disestablishment kisses instead of spits.
littleCJelkton

Gotye

Post by littleCJelkton »

well you got disestablishment Yells

Disestablishment Jarling

Sean-Nos disestablishment

littleCJelkton

Gotye

Post by littleCJelkton »

oh an here is some non manufactured disestablisment smiles

sorry about the age of some of the songs, but there just hasn't been that many artist out that have been able to be as creative as they used to be and not be a manufactured record label sound.
koan

Gotye

Post by koan »

I really liked Cranberries, Rage Against The Machine, and Pearl Jam. I also really like Kimbra.

You're welcome to not like her if you wish.
littleCJelkton

Gotye

Post by littleCJelkton »

koan;1385800 wrote: I really liked Cranberries, Rage Against The Machine, and Pearl Jam. I also really like Kimbra.

You're welcome to not like her if you wish.

Well if it was any other time in music maybe I would as she definitely has that hidden creativeness, but right now the stuff out is just so assembly line Cookie cutter, and not in a good way like Gotye is he went the route of hey if Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins sounded good, and were very creative and talented, using their style would show his creativeness. Which right now I have no problem with if everything new gets creatively watered down by record labels then use something creative from the past that the record labels wont water down until you get big enough to do your own thing is a sound idea. Now if its Kimbra being watered down or if Kimbra thinks Jay-Lo/ Beyonce/ christina aguilera/ Britney Spears/ Jessica Simpson/ Kelly Clarkson are creative and sound good I don't know, but for her sake as an artist I hope it is not the latter.
koan

Gotye

Post by koan »

You seem to be missing something and jumping to conclusions off a cliff.

Continued listens only ingratiate Kimbra further, revealing that you are in the midst of a vibrant and audacious talent. “Settle Down” is a textbook example of perfectly crafted pop/soul/rock music. It lingers, teasing you for the big reveal, and when it hits, your heart explodes and you feel that tingle move up the back of your spine. And like every great pop artist who doesn’t have their head rammed up their own ass, Kimbra holds back on how often she lets you hear her magnificent chorus. Instead of repeating ad nauseum like so many Ke$ha’s and Britney Spears’, she understands the grace of holding back, requiring you to press repeat if you want to hear it again. It’s completely brilliant, and suddenly that lacklustre opening that you didn’t care for four minutes ago is welcomed with exuberance when you hear its quirky chime.
PopMatters

I'm always looking for new stuff. I still like my old stuff but I'm not going to be one of those people who stays in the past.
littleCJelkton

Gotye

Post by littleCJelkton »

koan;1385809 wrote: You seem to be missing something and jumping to conclusions off a cliff.

PopMatters

I'm always looking for new stuff. I still like my old stuff but I'm not going to be one of those people who stays in the past.

There are some new bands I like

The Black Keys

Mumford N Son

Franz Ferdinan

The Hives

and now thanks to you I can add Gotye to that

all have came out in the main stream with in the past 5-8 years and are still making music either on tour or in studio
fuzzywuzzy

Gotye

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

For some strange reason I thought Gotye was Belgain but it turns out he's a Melbourne Musician. Kimbra I don't know very much about but my boys say she's pretty big here.

Only problem witht he OP song is they played it and played it and played it.......then there were send ups of it . He has another which is quite pretty but I've never bothered to listen to the words (good background music)
littleCJelkton

Gotye

Post by littleCJelkton »

just for the first time heard Goyte on a local radio station and it was this song
koan

Gotye

Post by koan »

The videos are so great too.

I like the latest one too

theia

Gotye

Post by theia »

I just heard that song for the first time on Radio 2 whilst driving back from work. Thery didn't say who it was or the song title, so I had to search for it. I think it's brilliant and I love the video. And then I remembered a thread you'd started, koan.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
tabby

Gotye

Post by tabby »

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/vi ... -gotye.cnn

Thought you might be interested in this interview!
Betty Boop

Gotye

Post by Betty Boop »

koan;1385809 wrote: You seem to be missing something and jumping to conclusions off a cliff.

PopMatters

Me either. I've been getting so bored with music over the last few years. I bought the Gotye album after listening to 'somebody' on this thread, like most of it but 'somebody' is my favourite for sure. Talking about the past, when I listen to the gotye album I can't help but think it has similar sounds to Peter Gabriel, or maybe that's just me being mad :-3

ETA; I just re read the thread and see someone else likens the sound to Peter Gabriel, I'm not sure 'somebody' is responsible for making me think that though, it's other songs on the album.
AnneBoleyn

Gotye

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I only discovered Gotye & "somebody" last week on Saturday Night Live. Then I remembered this thread. Checked out several different videos of this song, & my favorite was the SNL performance

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... ow/1396644

Koan, from now on I listen to any music you suggest!
Ahso!

Gotye

Post by Ahso! »

Gotye reminds me a lot of Peter Gabriel.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Gotye

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1391913 wrote: Gotye reminds me a lot of Peter Gabriel.
Yes, that's what's been said a few times here. I don't see it. Maybe because I like Gotye, but not so PG.
Ahso!

Gotye

Post by Ahso! »

Video is similar but so is the music. Robbie Robertson is also similar music wise.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
littleCJelkton

Gotye

Post by littleCJelkton »

if Gotye is a modern take on PG who is Kimbra the modern equivalent of ????
AnneBoleyn

Gotye

Post by AnneBoleyn »

littleCJelkton;1392000 wrote: if Gotye is a modern take on PG who is Kimbra the modern equivalent of ????
Keely Smith?
Ahso!

Gotye

Post by Ahso! »

littleCJelkton;1392000 wrote: if Gotye is a modern take on PGI didn't intend to say that. I merely said he reminds me of Gabriel. Gotye may have been influenced by PG or another person whose music sound similar.

As for the girl, I don't know. She reminds me of someone but I can't place who.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “General Music”