Hand bells?

User avatar
High Threshold
Posts: 2856
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 am

Hand bells?

Post by High Threshold »

Yes. Hand bells:

User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6417
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

Hand bells?

Post by FourPart »

Very good indeed. Teamwork at its best - in none of them would really be able to work individually in something like that.

On a similar tack, as a matter of interest, my Grandmother use to do Bell Ringing in Christchurch Priory (a historic church in Dorset, known for its Bell Ringing), and she was always adamant that someone who rings Church Bells is called a "Bell Ringer", whilst a Campanologist is someone who rings Hand Bells. I was talking to another Bell Ringer in a church in Southampton & he was surprised at this - not that a Campanologist was only specific to Hand Bells, but that someone else should know such a thing, as it's a widely used term, albeit erroneously.
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6417
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

Hand bells?

Post by FourPart »

Actually whilst watching that one I saw this one as one of the related links:



This got my interest as it's one of the pieces that we do with the choir. This got me thinking further & wondering if there were any local groups who we might invite to make a Guest Appearance at one of our concerts. After a search I found there may be one connected with the Christchurch & Southampton District Bell Ringers (probably who my Grandma was associated with) who had some Handbell Ringers on the website taken at the Bell Ringing Roadshow. I don't know if they are actually connected with them or not, but I've emailed Lin (our Chairwoman) putting forward my suggestion, along with the appropriate links, saying that even if they weren't directly connected with the C&SDBR, they may well have connections with an appropriate local group of a similar nature.

We'll have to wait & see what happens.
User avatar
High Threshold
Posts: 2856
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 am

Hand bells?

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1464036 wrote: Very good indeed. Teamwork at its best - in none of them would really be able to work individually in something like that.




I am fascinated by the technique necessary to play them. Note how they give it a violent flip back towards the shoulder, then gingerly bringing it down (vertically) so as not to inadvertently allow the clapper to hit the bell a second time. That's discipline.
User avatar
High Threshold
Posts: 2856
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 am

Hand bells?

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1464037 wrote: Actually whilst watching that one I saw this one as one of the related links:




Truly lovely! Me thinks the unseen organ is just a tad overbearing however. Or perhaps not? I can't explain it but listening to this makes me think of "Danny Boy".

FourPart;1464037 wrote: This got my interest as it's one of the pieces that we do with the choir. This got me thinking further & wondering if there were any local groups who we might invite to make a Guest Appearance at one of our concerts. After a search I found there may be one connected with the Christchurch & Southampton District Bell Ringers (probably who my Grandma was associated with) who had some Handbell Ringers on the website taken at the Bell Ringing Roadshow. I don't know if they are actually connected with them or not, but I've emailed Lin (our Chairwoman) putting forward my suggestion, along with the appropriate links, saying that even if they weren't directly connected with the C&SDBR, they may well have connections with an appropriate local group of a similar nature.

We'll have to wait & see what happens.




I have no doubt there are handbell ringers who'd love to participate! Who wouldn't?!
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 4202
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Hand bells?

Post by tude dog »

Bless them all, loved it.

Not the last thing I want to hear before bed time.;)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles,” Doug Larson.

“Never doubt the courage of the French. They were the ones who discovered that snails are edible.”
― Doug Larson
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6417
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

Hand bells?

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1464048 wrote: Truly lovely! Me thinks the unseen organ is just a tad overbearing however. Or perhaps not? I can't explain it but listening to this makes me think of "Danny Boy".


I think you'll find that 'organ' is, in fact a very Bass Bell, being played by the right at the back, on the right (of screen).
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12068
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

Hand bells?

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1464048 wrote: Truly lovely! Me thinks the unseen organ is just a tad overbearing however. Or perhaps not? I can't explain it but listening to this makes me think of "Danny Boy".



...


I am pretty sure that is a good thing. I think that is what they were trying to perform.
"We don't wear our masks because we are scared of dying from COVID. We wear them because we don't want to kill anybody." - Pastor Chad Stafford
User avatar
High Threshold
Posts: 2856
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 am

Hand bells?

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1464056 wrote: ..... I think that is what they were trying to perform.


"Danny Boy"? You're reading my mind.tude dog;1464052 wrote:



Not the last thing I want to hear before bed time.;)


zzzzzzzzzz ....... Hup! What? Oh! Yeah. What did you say?

Attached files
User avatar
High Threshold
Posts: 2856
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 am

Hand bells?

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1464055 wrote: I think you'll find that 'organ' is, in fact a very Bass Bell, being played by the right at the back, on the right (of screen).


I was prepared to disagree with you - then had another listen!
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6417
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

Hand bells?

Post by FourPart »

Also, while browsing YouTube on the same sort of thing, I found this one:



Very good in itself, but I listened to it in more detail I realised that the arrangement was exactly the same one as we do with the choir. All the pieces in the Medley in the same order. Each SATB part the same - everything. Bearing in mind that these pieces were originally written as solo pieces it's too much of a co-incidence that I should be able to identify the different parts that I'm already familiar with for choral singing.
User avatar
High Threshold
Posts: 2856
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 am

Hand bells?

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1464062 wrote: Also, while browsing YouTube on the same sort of thing, I found this one:



Very good in itself, but I listened to it in more detail I realised that the arrangement was exactly the same one as we do with the choir. All the pieces in the Medley in the same order. Each SATB part the same - everything. Bearing in mind that these pieces were originally written as solo pieces it's too much of a co-incidence that I should be able to identify the different parts that I'm already familiar with for choral singing.


So inspiring! I think though that the quick tempo (one minute into it) created too much resonance for my ears and crispness was temporarily lost. But other than that …..... !!!!!!!!!!!!! :yh_clap:yh_star:yh_star:yh_star:yh_star:yh_star

Return to “General Music”