Graving

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
Spinner

Graving

Post by Spinner »

Wanted to start a new hobby thread but I guess this area will work...

I like visiting cemeteries. So peacful and quiet..and it's outdoors. I like history. I like digital photography. So...I have combined the 3 with photographing old headstones. Since I have a genealogy website, I was posting the photos there then I found an much better outlet.

People all over the country..the world...are looking for lost relatives or friends who pass and they either don't know where they are buried or they can't get to the cemetery to save a picture. I am now a volunteer for "Find A Grave" ~ google that phrase.

Anyone wanting to join is more than welcome and it doesn't cost anything. I always like FREE

I have posted 454 photos so far but here are just a few:

And why it is so important to document by photograph these old headstones:

Carl44

Graving

Post by Carl44 »

sorry buddy i just dont dig that , seems dead boring to me :-3:-3

cant you do stuff a bit more lively like train spotting or watching paint dry

how about solo synchronized swimming :wah: :wah:
Carl44

Graving

Post by Carl44 »

Soberano;605484 wrote: Hope you don't find one with my name and d.o.b. on it.:D

i think he has buddy ,judging by your photo its empty :wah: :wah:
minks

Graving

Post by minks »

I fell in love with them when I was in England, this one is somewhere in London, and I love the fact it's just a quaint little park setting outside a tiny little church.

Attached files
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
minks

Graving

Post by minks »

While in Canterbury we came across this one

Attached files

― Mae West
minks

Graving

Post by minks »

Pinky;605669 wrote: I like looking around graveyards, I like seeing if I can find the oldest one innthe place! I think the oldestI've seen in ours is 1702...or was it 3?

Pinks I found this one in London

Attached files

― Mae West
minks

Graving

Post by minks »

Pinky;605710 wrote: Oh wow Minks!!!

Oh I loved all the gravesites over there nothing like here we here are mere puppies in age.

― Mae West
RedGlitter

Graving

Post by RedGlitter »

Spinner! Where have you been all this time? I haven't seen you in forever.

I love this topic. I have always loved graveyards. Just the old ones though. The new ones do not have the same atmosphere and I daresay, are missing the electrical charge of old ones. Most of the modern ones have switched to flat stones to make easier way for lawnmowers and I think that's a crying shame. I like seeing obelisks and spires and monuments. Seeing what people came up with. Especially the angels. I'm crazy for graveyard angels.

Ones like these: http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/angels/17.html

The place where I buried my mother allows upright headstones and I was so happy to find that out. I was adamant that my mom would have an upright stone. They also permit trees to be planted at the graves.

Do you take stone rubbings? I forget the word for that, but there are people who do nothing but traipse graveyards and take rubbings of epitaphs. I don't do rubbings, I just take pictures of the ones that interest me. Especially the romantic, poetic, heartwrenching ones. Seems like that went the way of the wind.
Spinner

Graving

Post by Spinner »

RedGlitter;605723 wrote: Spinner! Where have you been all this time? I haven't seen you in forever.

I love this topic. I have always loved graveyards. Just the old ones though. The new ones do not have the same atmosphere and I daresay, are missing the electrical charge of old ones. Most of the modern ones have switched to flat stones to make easier way for lawnmowers and I think that's a crying shame. I like seeing obelisks and spires and monuments. Seeing what people came up with. Especially the angels. I'm crazy for graveyard angels.

Ones like these: http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/angels/17.html

The place where I buried my mother allows upright headstones and I was so happy to find that out. I was adamant that my mom would have an upright stone. They also permit trees to be planted at the graves.

Do you take stone rubbings? I forget the word for that, but there are people who do nothing but traipse graveyards and take rubbings of epitaphs. I don't do rubbings, I just take pictures of the ones that interest me. Especially the romantic, poetic, heartwrenching ones. Seems like that went the way of the wind.

Been busy with my blog and all my RL stuff..

& I absolutely LOVE that website! Thank you!

I know some people find going to grave yards totally boring. I must say...I find people who can't grasp the significance of preserving the past...most generally have the personal depth of a mud puddle. Cemeteries are not just about the people in the grave..their rotting bodies are there and what made them "them" is gone. BUT in the cemeteries we find a connection to our lineage and that is where we find a bit of what makes us who we are. And...even though I photograph headstones of completely unknown people...there is a sense of respect for what has gone before me. Wrapped up in the "b. 1845..d.1925" is a person's 80 years on this earth and all the changes they saw in their lifetime. And when I find a family where there are several "born & died 1898" etc...I can touch a second of the lifetime of pain that family suffered for the loss of a child and realize how blessed we are that most of our births are not still born or that babies no longer die within their first year.

Many see death in the cemetery but I see past life and I wish I was clairvoyant.

Doing all the genealogy and history I have....when I watched westerns before...they were just good and bad action films...now I see how my ancestors lived their day to day lives..how they dressed..their mode of travel...the hardtimes they endured..the fun they had and even though life was harder..how much more free they were, than we are today.

All of this is why I generally go to cemteries alone. So I don't have to hear "hurry up...I'm bored".:wah:

Below is a link to my webshots album on cemeteries.

Sherry

===============================================

Chookie

Graving

Post by Chookie »

The date on this illegible.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
along-for-the-ride

Graving

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Years ago, during a summer art class I took, we took big sheets of paper and charcoal and did etchings over some old headstones.

I have sometimes meandered with reverence through a cemetary looking at the dates and names. These folks once walked the earth as I do now. I wonder what their lives were like.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Spinner

Graving

Post by Spinner »

Chookie;605778 wrote:

The date on this illegible.

First, this is a beautiful photo. Thank you for sharing it.

The fact that the dates are no longer discernible is why I feel it is important to photograph now. And why I became a Findagrave volunteer. Because the site is a collection of people like me who photograph when they have time and then post the image in the proper cemetery.

I have almost completed the Perry Cemetery a few miles away. It has only 250 graves and I have just about done every one but most FAG'ers only do the photo request. You pick out cemeteries near you and if someone request a photo, you go find the grave and then post the image.

Anyone who really enjoys photography, cemeteries and/or history should go check them out. It is a valuable contribution you are making.

I am listed as "Texas History Hunter" there if you care to visit.

========================

Spinner

Graving

Post by Spinner »

Soberano;605774 wrote: We have a large cemetery behind our house, quite like walking around there and saying ha ha your dead I'm not, tis very peaceful in there.:D

Well...remember..you'll only be laughing for so long...and then it is your time!:wah:
Spinner

Graving

Post by Spinner »

Soberano;605860 wrote: That is why i am laughing now, before it is too late.:D

We really do have a large cemetery behind our house though, i weren't joking with that one. I do often walk around reading the headstones and it is quite sad to see the amount of children buried there, it should never be.

Yes...I see it alot as well. Very sad. And since I have a granddaughter now...I can imagine the heartache one feels with the loss of a baby.

Our ancestors were very strong people..much stronger than we are today I think.

I have an ancestor in a Garland Texas cemetery who has 3 babies buried there....between 1895-1905.

Please consider photographing the headstones as you walk and uploading them at FindAGrave.com ...do it just as you get time...as you feel like it.

Think about it?
scotty

Graving

Post by scotty »

I agree graveyards can be very relaxing and thought provoking, when I visit it always reminds me to enjoy life to the full, we’re a long time deed.:-6

I shot this image at the Greyfriars Cemetery Edinburgh, the one of Greyfriars Bobby fame, it also held my Ancestor who was taken from here and hanged in the Grassmarket for being a Covenanter.

Scott
scotty

Graving

Post by scotty »

Thanks pinky, yes it is important, I absolutley love history.

Scott

Return to “Photography More”