Pet Hyenas

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
RedGlitter

Pet Hyenas

Post by RedGlitter »

Would you look at the size of the chains on these guys?

I've seen people with chained hyenas before. Wonder how that works.

This photo is in Nigeria.

Attached files
G-man

Pet Hyenas

Post by G-man »

Well, considering that they are the most successful predator in Africa... I'm certain that they need chains like that to keep from becoming prey, themselves.

How does it work?

http://www.michaelstevenson.com/contemp ... igeria.htm

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

RedGlitter

Pet Hyenas

Post by RedGlitter »

That was interesting. I didn't know this was going on.

Next, they'd use a powerful torch to find their way through the tunnel and then drag the dazed animal from its hideout. Sometimes, the powerful light from the hyena's eyes would damage the bulb of the torch, but Abdullahi would still have his way.

Is that true? Is there something about their eyes or was the guy just being romantic? Are they like cats' eyes I wonder?

I didn't like this though:

"We use a heavy stick to hit the hyenas on the head when they misbehave," Abdullahi says. "We knock them down on the ground. All of us hold the sticks in case the animals become aggressive."

It's not like the hyenas wanted to leave their homes and become moneymakers for these people.

I wonder how they put up with the laughing? It's such a weird, eerie sound.

Thanks for that info, G-man.
G-man

Pet Hyenas

Post by G-man »

Romantic? :rolleyes: Their eyes do seem to "glow" just like cats, wolves and most other carnivores, though.

Something that is really interesting regarding spotted hyaenas, is the fact that the females are larger and more aggressive than the males, are the dominant sex, have an enlarged clitoris called a pseudo-penis or demi-penis and two scrotal pouches that make them nearly indistinguishable from the males. The females have complete sexual control over which males are allowed to mate with them, also.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Return to “Photography More”