The Oldest Photograph

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
Philadelphia Eagle

The Oldest Photograph

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

We recently came across this photo in the family archives. The baby in it is my grandmother! We estimate it to have been taken circa 1885.

I'm by no means an expert on photography but enjoy taking and looking at pictures. I use a Kodak Easyshare Digital camera - model CX4230 -. I recently downloaded Picasa2 software available from Google. I find Picasa to be much more powerful and flexible than Kodak and it has been very useful in collating and organizing my photographic collection..

Any comments/ experiences from colleagues on the forum would be of interest.

Norm.

Attached files
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
kensloft

The Oldest Photograph

Post by kensloft »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: We recently came across this photo in the family archives. The baby in it is my grandmother! We estimate it to have been taken circa 1885.

I'm by no means an expert on photography but enjoy taking and looking at pictures. I use a Kodak Easyshare Digital camera - model CX4230 -. I recently downloaded Picasa2 software available from Google. I find Picasa to be much more powerful and flexible than Kodak and it has been very useful in collating and organizing my photographic collection..

Norm.
It would be nice to see a picture of the modern day descendants sitting next to this picture. Looks so old. Was it a daguerrotype?
Tombstone

The Oldest Photograph

Post by Tombstone »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: We recently came across this photo in the family archives. The baby in it is my grandmother! We estimate it to have been taken circa 1885.

Norm.
This is great. Your grandmother was a cute baby!

I love photos - everything about them. I'm torn, however, about losing great video camera recording opportunities. I'm usually clicking away with my digital camera - but then realize later how great it would have been to have made a video.

When I look back at my old videos, this point really hits home. I know that I can/could carry two cameras, but that is also a pain in the rump.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
devist8me

The Oldest Photograph

Post by devist8me »

Great picture P.E. I really don't know a lot about photography, but do have a digital camera that I use all the time. I also have the Picasso software and think it's wonderful.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
along-for-the-ride

The Oldest Photograph

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Thanks for sharing. Great photograph! I know you are proud to have it. I enjoy looking at old family photographs---even fron other people's families. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Philadelphia Eagle

The Oldest Photograph

Thanks everyone for your interest. I don't think it was early enough to be daguerrotype. This type, I believe, started to be phased out around 1850 and was replaced by the wet condolian system. But it could have been. As you say,Kensloft, it has that appearance.

kensloft

The Oldest Photograph

Post by kensloft »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: Thanks everyone for your interest. I don't think it was early enough to be daguerrotype. This type, I believe, started to be phased out around 1850 and was replaced by the wet condolian system. But it could have been. As you say,Kensloft, it has that appearance.
Easy way to tell is if there is a metal backing on the photograph.
Philadelphia Eagle

The Oldest Photograph

The photograph doesn't have a metal backing

kensloft

The Oldest Photograph

Post by kensloft »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: The photograph doesn't have a metal backing
Then it's not a daguerrotype. Probably Eastman paper. Don't take my word for it but it was in that period that paper came into vogue. Chemicals used mercury and caused a lot of health problems for the photographers from their work in the darkroom.
Philadelphia Eagle

The Oldest Photograph

Thanks for the info. It's amazing when you think of the advances photography was made since those days!

kensloft

The Oldest Photograph

Post by kensloft »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: Thanks for the info. It's amazing when you think of the advances photography was made since those days!
Spent years in the printing industry and one of my functions was in the darkroom. It was interesting but tedious. The revolution in the evolution of photography with computers is phenomenal and makes life a lot easier if you got into computers. It is awesome. I love watching and being a part of the things that can be helpful to saving the environment by not having to make use of the chemicals and other things that go into creating photography.(as an aside, did the baseballteam take the 3 in a row from washington.
Philadelphia Eagle

The Oldest Photograph

Unfortunately the Phillies did not take 3 in a row from Washington - they won the first and lost the next 2!. The crystal ball I consulted is obviously faulty and the Phillies once again flattered only to deceive.

Concur with you re the enviornment.

Return to “Photography More”