The Genius That Was Cecil Beaton.

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

I am currently doing research on Cecil Beaton, probably the most famous photographer of all time. This photograph of Her Majesty the Queen was taken by Cecil Beaton and if I had a favourite photo of Queen Elizabeth ll, it would undoubtedly be this one.

I am fortunate enough to own a portrait study done by Cecil Beaton of a millionaire who was one of my best customers when I was still actively involved in the Antique and Fine Art trade. I did a great deal of art valuation for him and when he died he left instructions in his will that I should handle the sale of his assets.

As the gentleman concerned (I will call him Frankie), was gay, he had no family and as his partner had already passed away, the Cecil Beaton photograph was just packed up and given to me with the rest of his artwork to dispose of as I saw fit.

As he had always been a very private person, I knew that he had entrusted me with the sale of his assets simply because he knew that I would be discreet. In fact he did mention in his will that a certain “party” should NOT be allowed in his penthouse apartment, nor should this person be allowed to purchase anything from his estate.

So I knew for sure that if I put his photograph up for sale to be purchased by any Tom, Dick or Harry, he would haunt me for the rest of my life! In any event I decided to take the picture home and it now hangs in one of the bedrooms in my own place.

The photograph was taken of him when he was a devastating beautiful young man and I can imagine how in demand his company must have been. In fact I learned much later that as a youth he was passed back and forth among the god-mothers of the gay community for some time, such was his beauty.

I am hoping that in my research on Cecil Beaton I might even find some reference to Frankie, as I am certain that he must have made a lasting impression on the great, gay photographer.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Not as interested in Mr Beaton as perhaps I should be, I'm afraid, no matter how pretty.

But old Queenie was a looker in her day!

The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

She did photograph well.

Black and white photography seems to be more forgiving and in some cases, gives the subject a sort of ethereal glow. E looks like a faery queen in that top photo.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I have to ask, know I probably shouldn't...............but.

Is this the drama queen JJ's 'coming out' thread ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Bruv;1378909 wrote: I have to ask, know I probably shouldn't...............but.

Is this the drama queen JJ's 'coming out' thread ?

Ah Citizen Bruv! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I like this, I really do cos at long last you have introduced some FUN into one of your posts here on FG! Hopefully it is a bit of British "tongue in cheek humor" and was not prompted by the content of my thread about Cecil Beaton. After all, you did refer to me as "she" and the "queen" word keeps cropping up in your posts as well.

If this isn't the case then I might have to put up a list of names of (with apologies to Julio and Willie) "all the girls I've loved before ... on FG.

There was once a very beautiful and wonderfully talented lady here on FG. She doesn't post here anymore and I only see her name cropping up in the Arcade. She left while I was serving out my last banning order, so I have no idea why she opted out. Be that as it may, she had a policy of NOt accepting you as a true friend unless she had actually heard your voice. Hearing was believing was her test.

Why have I mentioned her? Well you decide.

Perhaps its because I really miss her and all her friends.

Oh and ladies (past & present) relax ... would I, the Chosen, ever do that to you? :-4:-4
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Glad you like my injection, proves you are so macho you don't care......maybe.

So you are an 'online' lover ?

...........................Nice.......
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tabby

Post by tabby »

Beautiful portrait! She seems pensive. Duty aside, I bet she'd rather have been doing something else besides dressing up and having a photo session.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Below is a website containing more information about Cecil Beaton:

CECIL BEATON | THE RANDY DANDY OF PHOTOGRAPHY & FASHION « The Selvedge Yard

Wonderful photographs.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

along-for-the-ride;1378951 wrote: Below is a website containing more information about Cecil Beaton:

CECIL BEATON | THE RANDY DANDY OF PHOTOGRAPHY & FASHION « The Selvedge Yard

Wonderful photographs.

Thank you so much ... I will check it out asap!
tabby

Post by tabby »

In the December 2011 issue of Vanity Fair, there is an article on Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip that features some photos that I noticed are attributed to Cecil Beaton. The article refers to him as the favorite Royal photographer.

Return to “Photography More”