Need some help here

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
AnneBoleyn

Need some help here

Post by AnneBoleyn »

How do you make a picture part of the actual post, not as an attachment to the post?
YZGI

Need some help here

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1421265 wrote: How do you make a picture part of the actual post, not as an attachment to the post?

I don't think nudity is allowed but you can try
Snooz

Need some help here

Post by Snooz »

Well, since we're not allowed to hotlink and I'm not even sure how to hotlink since I never do it myself *ahem*, I suggest using photobucket. There are other photo hosting sites, but that's the one I use. It's free and easy to use.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/tu ... hotobucket
Betty Boop

Need some help here

Post by Betty Boop »

YZGI;1421266 wrote: I don't think nudity is allowed but you can try

I think you should try first :sneaky:
Betty Boop

Need some help here

Post by Betty Boop »

AnneBoleyn;1421265 wrote: How do you make a picture part of the actual post, not as an attachment to the post?

Wish I could help, not too good with photos or embedding videos, when someone comes along that has the know how I will endeavour to learn 'how' too :wah:
Lady J

Need some help here

Post by Lady J »

SnoozeAgain;1421270 wrote: Well, since we're not allowed to hotlink and I'm not even sure how to hotlink since I never do it myself *ahem*, I suggest using photobucket. There are other photo hosting sites, but that's the one I use. It's free and easy to use.

Tutorial: Step-by-step guide how to use PhotoBucket « How-To Geek Forums

I too use photobucket.

When you save your images there it will automaticly set up codes or links for email, HTML and IMG. If you use the IMG link you can insert pictures directly into your message. If the image is to large then that can cause a problem with blowing the page margins and that is why FG prefers the attachments.

Kathy Ellen

Need some help here

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Yes, I use photobucket all the time to download pics.
FG-administator

Need some help here

Post by FG-administator »

The site has in the past expressed reservations about hotlinking to photobucket because photobucket has bandwidth restrictions and all too often FG ends up with a blocked image icon saying "bandwidth exceeded" for the tail end of a month instead of the intended result.

Here's how to post full size images on FG without hotlinking.On the home page there's a link to the Gallery. Make yourself an album and upload your picture, size-adjusted to the dimensions you want it to display at. Don't upload anything you didn't take yourself unless you can subsequently point FG's management to an online copyright release document covering that specific image.

That's Gallery > My Albums > (select an album) > Upload pictures > Browse > (open the photo you want) > Upload > Close This Window > (adjust the title) > Save

Then click the image's thumbnail and right-click the full size image and Save Image Location (or whatever your browser's equivalent might be)

Finally, in the post you want the image displayed, paste the location inside IMG /IMG tags which use square brackets.

Blowing the page margins is a rare event. What it means is that someone posts a full-size image in the FIRST POST of a thread. Those first posts also appear on the home page, and the home page can't take full size images. If you want a full-size image in a new thread, start the thread and finish the first post with "image follows", then put the full-size image in a second post. We then have no problem with the home page (or any other page) refusing to display adequately. Full-size locally-hosted images in any post other than the first of a thread are never a size problem to the site's management.

eta: for anyone who doesn't know what hotlinking means, it means wrapping IMG tags around any off-site URL. You can tell on-site URLs because they have "forumgarden.com" as the domain.

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
Ahso!

Need some help here

Post by Ahso! »

See, FG is your photobucket.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FG-administator

Need some help here

Why, I hear you ask, does FG object to hotlinking.

I'll tell you.

Let's assume I've uploaded a photo to example.com/images/myphoto.jpg and I now notice that other people are displaying it on forumgarden.com and a thousand other sites without payment and without attributing the image copyright to me. I have a simple response. I can rename my image myphoto-A.jpg and link to that within my own site, and then I can put an embarrassingly bestial photograph in place of the original. Every other site on the Internet which was stealing my bandwidth and intellectual property is now going to have egg on its face and a change of readership.

ForumGarden's management very much wants to avoid displaying such altered photos within FG's pages. Accordingly we have repeatedly asked members never to hotlink to images from posts they write. We don't want to add to the hosting costs of other domain owners, we don't want to use any imagery without acknowledging the copyright holder, we have a stack of good reasons to ask that IMG links always direct to the site's own image gallery.

Why is it that these repeated requests not to hotlink are contemptuously treated as a source of amusement?

☎|||||||||||

FG-administator

Need some help here

Lady J's comment in her Journal that only supporting members can create albums came as a surprise, I'd thought we'd allowed registered members to do that some while ago. I've now been in and changed the setting. Registered members can now create albums.

I've also increased the maximum attachment filespace per member from 12.5MB to 32MB.

☎|||||||||||

Bryn Mawr

Need some help here

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FG;1421324 wrote: The site has in the past expressed reservations about hotlinking to photobucket because photobucket has bandwidth restrictions and all too often FG ends up with a blocked image icon saying "bandwidth exceeded" for the tail end of a month instead of the intended result.

Here's how to post full size images on FG without hotlinking.On the home page there's a link to the Gallery. Make yourself an album and upload your picture, size-adjusted to the dimensions you want it to display at. Don't upload anything you didn't take yourself unless you can subsequently point FG's management to an online copyright release document covering that specific image.

That's Gallery > My Albums > (select an album) > Upload pictures > Browse > (open the photo you want) > Upload > Close This Window > (adjust the title) > Save

Then click the image's thumbnail and right-click the full size image and Save Image Location (or whatever your browser's equivalent might be)

Finally, in the post you want the image displayed, paste the location inside IMG /IMG tags which use square brackets.

Blowing the page margins is a rare event. What it means is that someone posts a full-size image in the FIRST POST of a thread. Those first posts also appear on the home page, and the home page can't take full size images. If you want a full-size image in a new thread, start the thread and finish the first post with "image follows", then put the full-size image in a second post. We then have no problem with the home page (or any other page) refusing to display adequately. Full-size locally-hosted images in any post other than the first of a thread are never a size problem to the site's management.

eta: for anyone who doesn't know what hotlinking means, it means wrapping IMG tags around any off-site URL. You can tell on-site URLs because they have "forumgarden.com" as the domain.

Talk for yourself - I'm still stuck with a low res monitor :wah:
Bryn Mawr

Need some help here

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FG;1421397 wrote: Lady J's comment in her Journal that only supporting members can create albums came as a surprise, I'd thought we'd allowed registered members to do that some while ago. I've now been in and changed the setting. Registered members can now create albums.

I've also increased the maximum attachment filespace per member from 12.5MB to 32MB.

Thank you :-)

It came as a surprise to me too.
Snooz

Need some help here

Post by Snooz »

Using Photobucket et al is technically hotlinking, I suppose, but their express purpose is to host photos. What I consider hotlinking is going to a site and basically stealing their photo AND bandwidth.
FG-administator

Need some help here

Bryn Mawr;1421475 wrote: Thank you :-)

It came as a surprise to me too.
The changes were there on usergroup "Registered" but hadn't filtered through to "Registered Members", which I'd thought they should have. It's not an easy area to test but even so mea maxima culpa and there is no health in me.

☎|||||||||||

FG-administator

Need some help here

SnoozeAgain;1421478 wrote: Using Photobucket et al is technically hotlinking, I suppose, but their express purpose is to host photos. What I consider hotlinking is going to a site and basically stealing their photo AND bandwidth.

I have two issues. One is the loss of the picture when non-paying photobucket members hit their monthly allocation, resulting in a generic apology image. The other is that any malign photobucket user can play tricks editing a picture once it's been accepted by FG moderators, in that no mod is likely to be checking a photo from weeks back.

☎|||||||||||

Snooz

Need some help here

Post by Snooz »

I had no idea I could do that and I'm pretty malign.
FG-administator

Need some help here

SnoozeAgain;1421483 wrote: I had no idea I could do that and I'm pretty malign.
Not that malign, Shirley. There are other pissheads out there who enjoy playing with Photoshop though.

☎|||||||||||

Bryn Mawr

Need some help here

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1421483 wrote: I had no idea I could do that and I'm pretty malign.

See, you're not as bad as you thought you were.
Snooz

Need some help here

Post by Snooz »

"Other pissheads"? Really? I don't mind the name calling per se but you're acting as the forum admin right now.
FG-administator

Need some help here

SnoozeAgain;1421487 wrote: "Other pissheads"? Really? I don't mind the name calling per se but you're acting as the forum admin right now.

Perhaps the word translates badly when crossing the Atlantic. To any Englishman it has only one geographical association.

☎|||||||||||

Lady J

Need some help here

Post by Lady J »

FG;1421397 wrote: Lady J's comment in her Journal that only supporting members can create albums came as a surprise, I'd thought we'd allowed registered members to do that some while ago. I've now been in and changed the setting. Registered members can now create albums.

THANK YOU very, very much!!!:yh_clap

Wish I hadn't deleted half my attachements now to get more room but that's ok if I can have albums! :yh_bigsmi

Thank you again I have some great images that I have taken to share!

Lady J
Snooz

Need some help here

Post by Snooz »

FG;1421488 wrote: Perhaps the word translates badly when crossing the Atlantic. To any Englishman it has only one geographical association.

Reminds me of the time another Englishman insisted "cow" was actually a term of endearment.
Oscar Namechange

Need some help here

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Pisshead however It translates Is derogatory and Is used to describe an alcoholic.

Urban Dictionary: pisshead

What does pisshead mean? pisshead Definition. Meaning of pisshead. OnlineSlangDictionary.com
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Need some help here

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thank you everyone who participated here to help me. Now that I understand what to do & what it entails I probably will not go that route, but will stick to attachments.
YZGI

Need some help here

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1421527 wrote: Thank you everyone who participated here to help me. Now that I understand what to do & what it entails I probably will not go that route, but will stick to attachments.

You're welcome..
Snowfire

Need some help here

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1421486 wrote: See, you're not as bad as you thought you were.

Is she as bad as we think she is ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Need some help here

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1421553 wrote: Is she as bad as we think she is ?

Nooo - she's far worse :wah:

Return to “Photography More”