Peacock

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
BabyRider

Peacock

Post by BabyRider »

I've never seen anything like this....have you?

Attached files
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Accountable

Peacock

Post by Accountable »

Only in a zoo. Hard to believe something that showy and beautiful can grow wild, eh?
Betty Boop

Peacock

Post by Betty Boop »

I know one thats going spare if you want one!!! We have one in a nearby village thats ruining everyones gardens!! It quite often appears in the local papers!!
valerie

Peacock

Post by valerie »

They're beautiful but man, don't ever try living next to any!!

The ones across the street from my dad's old place were awful,

screeching sometimes all night.

:yh_tired
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

chonsigirl

Peacock

Post by chonsigirl »

They are some wild ones that are white, and some from selective breening, several bird populations on Hawaii. They are very pretty, and very noisy.

http://news.webindia123.com/news/showde ... &cat=India

Rare Madurai white peacocks in danger:-

Thiruparangundrum | June 18, 2005 6:21:20 PM IST

A group of rare white peacocks is attracting visitors to the famous Thiruparangundrum temple in Madurai, which is one of the very few places in the country where white peacocks are found.

The white variety, which lives alongside their more common cousins, has become the centre of attention in the temple town. White peacocks make up less than one percent of the world peacock population.

Spotting the white peacock has become a favourite pastime for people who usually come here for pilgrimage.

"Feeding these peacocks gives great satisfaction to me and I enjoy every aspect of these wonderful birds. Moreover, when you see these white birds, you feel pure yourself purity of mind, body, soul and thought as white represents purity," Pandiyarajan, a three-wheeler driver, who has been feeding these birds for the last eight years, said.

But Peacock lovers like Pandiyarajan are also concerned about the future of these rare birds as temple authorities in Thiruparangundrum have begun clearing the dense growth of wild shrubs and trees in the area for commercial plantations.

However, temple authorities say thorns in the wild shrubs could hurt the birds and raising commercial plantations is for their good.

"Those trees had thorns and we do not want the birds to get hurt. That is why we removed them. We have teak plantations and want to add another 5,000 teak trees," said Padmanaban, Subramaniaswamy temple.

But it may take close to two years for the trees to grow in the area. And with no place to hide, the rare birds have become easy targets for poachers and hounds.

"We have recently noted that the bird population has come down drastically. It is high time the government and the officials take a strict and very serious view about this," said Dr P Palanikumar, bird lover.

Residents feel that this area has everything what it takes to be an ideal sanctuary for the peacocks.

"There is a potential of turning this area into a peacock sanctuary because it is favourable for their breeding and feeding. Attempts should be made by the authorities in this direction," Aanandhan, a resident, said.

The matter has come under the notice of the city municipal authorities as well. The Madurai bench of the Madras High Court has directed the district and forest authorities to protect these birds.

In 1963, the peacock was declared India's national bird because of its rich religious and legendary involvement in Indian traditions. (ANI)
lady cop

Peacock

Post by lady cop »

that bird is enchanting and gorgeous. almost otherworldly as an angel. lovely picture.
minks

Peacock

Post by minks »

lady cop wrote: that bird is enchanting and gorgeous. almost otherworldly as an angel. lovely picture.
that is one spectacular birdy
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
abbey

Peacock

Post by abbey »

I remember as a kid bringing a peacock feather home from our local park. and my mum went ape$h!t, she said they brought bad luck.

I'd have thought it was more bad luck on the poor bird that had lost it!

Sadly the birds are long gone, never to be replaced.
gmc

Peacock

Post by gmc »

posted by valerie

They're beautiful but man, don't ever try living next to any!!

The ones across the street from my dad's old place were awful,

screeching sometimes all night.

It's the calls that get me. They sound like a child calling for help.

Return to “Photography More”