Northern Lights

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
Tombstone

Northern Lights

Post by Tombstone »

Beautiful, aren't they?!

Taken by: Scott McGee at scott@alaskaphotos.biz

From Scott:

One of the most beautiful natural phenomena is the northern lights, or aurora borealis. While common in the high latitudes, it’s rare when the aurora occurs simultaneously with sunset, moonrise, and a clear sky. This can happen only in the late summer or late spring, when the sun sets on the northern horizon. I was lucky enough to capture this unique photograph of the northern lights over the Llewellyn Glacier in the northwestern corner of British Columbia, Canada on August 8, 2004. I call the photograph “Trilight” because of the light provided by the setting sun, the rising moon, and the northern lights.

I see the northern lights on a regular basis here in Alaska, so I thought I’d share this with those who live in areas where the aurora can’t be seen. Everyone should see the northern lights in person at least once!

Attached files
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Peg

Northern Lights

Post by Peg »

Tombstone wrote: Beautiful, aren't they?!

Taken by: Scott McGee at scott@alaskaphotos.biz

From Scott:

One of the most beautiful natural phenomena is the northern lights, or aurora borealis. While common in the high latitudes, it’s rare when the aurora occurs simultaneously with sunset, moonrise, and a clear sky. This can happen only in the late summer or late spring, when the sun sets on the northern horizon. I was lucky enough to capture this unique photograph of the northern lights over the Llewellyn Glacier in the northwestern corner of British Columbia, Canada on August 8, 2004. I call the photograph “Trilight” because of the light provided by the setting sun, the rising moon, and the northern lights.

I see the northern lights on a regular basis here in Alaska, so I thought I’d share this with those who live in areas where the aurora can’t be seen. Everyone should see the northern lights in person at least once!

Breathtaking. Scott was lucky to get to experience this in person.
Tombstone

Northern Lights

Post by Tombstone »

I still have not seen them myself. :-1 It's one of those "things" that I want to see or experience at least once in my lifetime.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
scott

Northern Lights

Post by scott »

wow. would love to see them. maybe ill venture over from england one day :)
Uncle Kram

Northern Lights

Post by Uncle Kram »

My son is in Norway at the moment, stopping at his girlfriends parents for Christmas. He told me he'd been out on a snowmobile and was totally raving about seeing the Northern Lights.

He said no words could ever describe what he'd seen. Made me kind of envious

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Bez

Northern Lights

Post by Bez »

Norway must be a great place to spend Christmas...how i envy him. wonder if he'll bring any pictures back with him that he will let you share with us.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Uncle Kram

Northern Lights

Post by Uncle Kram »

Bez wrote: Norway must be a great place to spend Christmas...how i envy him. wonder if he'll bring any pictures back with him that he will let you share with us.

Yeah - he's having a whale of a time. Sent a few pix already (all with red eye).

Made me laugh really because when I took him to the airport, he hadn't got a coat - just a hoody. Can you believe that ?. Typically for his generation, he said he'd be ok.

So then this pic arrives and he looks like the Michelin Man. A heavily padded one-piece suit, scarf, gloves and what is either traditional Norwegian costume or a tea-cosy on his head.

Just off for a nice stroll in minus 20 apparently. Think he said something about a button mushroom but the line was breaking up

Uncle Kram

Northern Lights

Post by Uncle Kram »

SnoozeControl wrote: Awesome photo, Tombstone.:-4

There's a cooking show on PBS on Saturdays that has this cute little Norwegian guy cooking traditional dishes outside in the most beautiful locations. I'd love to take a vacation over there (if he'd cook for me, of course.)

If you make it over this way, it may be of use if I pass on the only Norwegian I know: Brann Teppe which is fire blanket

Return to “Photography More”