Speaking in tongue

Discuss the Christian Faith.
weinbeck

Speaking in tongue

Post by weinbeck »

Has anybody out there witnessed somebody speaking in tongue? I personally have never heard anybody speak in tongue, and am wondering whether the participant was aware of it afterwards. Although it would probably happen in the sanctity of a church so I'd be perfectly safe, it would probably scare the living daylights out of me!!
weber

Speaking in tongue

Post by weber »

weinbeck wrote: Has anybody out there witnessed somebody speaking in tongue? I personally have never heard anybody speak in tongue, and am wondering whether the participant was aware of it afterwards. Although it would probably happen in the sanctity of a church so I'd be perfectly safe, it would probably scare the living daylights out of me!!

I have never witnessed anyone speaking in tongues but I have a friend who does and she says it is just the Holy Spirit talking through them in words that nobody understands but they don't need to understand because the Holy Spirit does. It's not scary but I don't think I would be comfortable with it.
miriam:yh_flower

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

.................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?
weinbeck

Speaking in tongue

Post by weinbeck »

miriam wrote: I have never witnessed anyone speaking in tongues but I have a friend who does and she says it is just the Holy Spirit talking through them in words that nobody understands but they don't need to understand because the Holy Spirit does. It's not scary but I don't think I would be comfortable with it.

Doesn't it say thoughthat there is supposed to be one who is able to advise others what is being said, or something along that line? It too late at night for me to dig out my Bible, but I think somewhere in the book of Mark. I know there's reference to it in Acts, but I think there are a couple of other places in the Bible also. Not scary?? It's almost like having Jesus in your sitting room!
weeder

Speaking in tongue

Post by weeder »

I have heard people speaking in tongues many times. I have also been given "instruction" in how to do it... in a class I took called Power for Abundant Living" Speaking in tongues is the external manifestation of the internal presence of holy spirit. It often is a hoax, just put on as a show. At the Last Supper the apostoles spoke in tongues and those present heard words in their own languages. It was a miracle.In some charasmatic groups tongues is more like a babbling that escapes the lips of believers so overcome with emmotion that they are out of control. It is not frightening, but I agree it is uncomfortable. Tongues is also a form of praying quietly for some. Instead of trying to put feelings into words.... it is a quiet and private utterance of feelings directed to God from the heart of a believer. The gifts of Holy Spirit include Tongues, Interpertation of Tongues, Prophecy, Word of Knowledge, Word of Wisdom Faith Healing and Miracles.Speaking in tongues out loud is pointless if it cannott be understood by those listening. To me, it has no place in any public gathering. But that is only my opinion. Anything that causes confusion, fear,or doubt is not proof of the presence of God.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Peg

Speaking in tongue

Post by Peg »

I was around 12 when I went to a church with a family friend and they were speaking in tongue. It scared the snot out of me and I told the lady preacher so.:wah:
guppy

Speaking in tongue

Post by guppy »

my inlaws go to a holiness church. the first time i ever visited there, it ireally freaked me out. during the middle of the sermon several older members got up and started speaking in tongues. all i could think was, OH no!!!. i literally held on to the pew with both hands. it is not something i ever care to particicpate in. :confused:
guppy

Speaking in tongue

Post by guppy »

the surprising part was all this chaos was going on all around me and nobody reacted to it at all. i know i spent that morning with my mouth hanging open, especially when this one little ole lady started doing a jig around the church. :-3
Jimmy

Speaking in tongue

Post by Jimmy »

Hi. Speaking in tongues is understandable to all present. Babbling is not speaking in tongues. Acts clearly describes the event when the apostles spoke in tongues. They knew it was happening because everyone understood the apostles. There was no language barrier.
weber

Speaking in tongue

Post by weber »

Speaking in tongues today, people can understand the words that are spoken, just not the meaning of the words. I suppose like a highly educated person can speak with long words and sentences with obscure meaning and someone without a college education might not understand what it is all about even though they might know the words or some of them. I know:lips:

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

Lulu2

Speaking in tongue

Post by Lulu2 »

GUPPY: "i spent that morning with my mouth hanging open, especially when this one little ole lady started doing a jig around the church."

Tell me the truth, Gupper....did you want to laugh? Because, I'd've been in STITCHES & probably would've had to slip outside!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
guppy

Speaking in tongue

Post by guppy »

honest to god. lulu, i was sitting there thinking if i start doing any of that i would never forgive god for doing that. it really flipped me out. (why do you think i was holding on to the pew? ) ((but the site was funny, now that i think about it)):wah:
weinbeck

Speaking in tongue

Post by weinbeck »

guppy wrote: honest to god. lulu, i was sitting there thinking if i start doing any of that i would never forgive god for doing that. it really flipped me out. (why do you think i was holding on to the pew? ) ((but the site was funny, now that i think about it)):wah:

Although irreverent, it strikes me as something VERY easy to fake.
RedGlitter

Speaking in tongue

Post by RedGlitter »

Me too.
Bronwen

Speaking in tongue

Post by Bronwen »

Jimmy wrote: Hi. Speaking in tongues is understandable to all present. Babbling is not speaking in tongues. Acts clearly describes the event when the apostles spoke in tongues. They knew it was happening because everyone understood the apostles. There was no language barrier.
weeder wrote: At the Last Supper the apostoles spoke in tongues and those present heard words in their own languages. weedperson, I'm not sure that took place at the Last Supper, but you and Jimmy are correct, that is exactly what 'speaking in tongues' means. Babbling incoherently while in a state of religiously-induced ecstasy is a PSYCHOLOGICAL, not a spiritual phenomenon, and has nothing to do with the Biblical references to 'speaking in tongues'.

Now, I gotta tell ya, if I spoke only German, and an American 'preacher' gave a sermon in English, and all the English-speakers heard it normally, but I was right there alongside them and I heard every word in German, I would consider that a Divine miracle, and I would invite anyone who thinks that is possible to give a demonstration. To my knowledge, no clergyman or member of ANY modern sect that claims to 'speak in tongues' has ever done that.

Also, philologists (language experts) have thoroughly examined audio recordings of the 'babbling' in which some sects engage and have concluded that it is just that, having none of the attributes of language.
eyesopen

Speaking in tongue

Post by eyesopen »

Jimmy your right!!! totally right:)
twizzel

Speaking in tongue

Post by twizzel »

weinbeck wrote: Has anybody out there witnessed somebody speaking in tongue? I personally have never heard anybody speak in tongue, and am wondering whether the participant was aware of it afterwards. Although it would probably happen in the sanctity of a church so I'd be perfectly safe, it would probably scare the living daylights out of me!!
My first wife is a born again christian and speaks in tonges, personnelly I think it's gibberrish. Her and her friends tell me thats because I am a sinner and God does not let me understand, I on the other hand have a good relationship with God and believe that people who say they understand it have a touch of the emporers cloths and do not want to admit they do not understand it anymore than I do. When I have asked them to translate it for me they refuse saying if God wanted me to understand he would have given me the ability to to understand it. Personnelly as I find women difficult to understand even when they are speaking the Queens English there logic defy's my understanding Iv'e got no chance with tonges
twizzel

Speaking in tongue

Post by twizzel »

weinbeck wrote: Doesn't it say thoughthat there is supposed to be one who is able to advise others what is being said, or something along that line? It too late at night for me to dig out my Bible, but I think somewhere in the book of Mark. I know there's reference to it in Acts, but I think there are a couple of other places in the Bible also. Not scary?? It's almost like having Jesus in your sitting room!
After the Holy Spirit entered the apposles who had been in hiding after the crusifiction they went out into the market place and every one understood what they were saying whatever there own language. they were not speaking in tonges they spoke in their own language.
Ted

Speaking in tongue

Post by Ted »

I read recently, and I don't remember where, that a linguist analysed someone speaking in tongues and came to the coclusion thre was no consistency in what was being said. It was in fact just babbling.

It is amazing what some people can do to put others into some sort of psychic state.

Shalom

Ted:-6
weber

Speaking in tongue

Post by weber »

Ted wrote: I read recently, and I don't remember where, that a linguist analysed someone speaking in tongues and came to the coclusion thre was no consistency in what was being said. It was in fact just babbling.

It is amazing what some people can do to put others into some sort of psychic state.

Shalom

Ted:-6Evidentally speaking in tongues is different with different people which really shouldn't surprise me. I have a friend who speaks in tongues and for her it is a calm thing sometimes done in privacy so not always in public. She speaks of it as simply being words that can be understood but not necessarily in the context they come out and never has she spoken of it as being mumbo jumbo and babbling. For her it is very edifying.

Speaking in tongues can be taken to the extreme, or mimicked as babbling, done for the effect. I am glad I have never witnessed that. It would surely scare me.

Nevim

Speaking in tongue

Post by Nevim »

Jimmy wrote: Hi. Speaking in tongues is understandable to all present. Babbling is not speaking in tongues. Acts clearly describes the event when the apostles spoke in tongues. They knew it was happening because everyone understood the apostles. There was no language barrier.

It matter little what the 120 disciples were "babbling" the thing is that the folks present hear what they were saying in thier own languages. Greek sounds like babbling to me, as does any other foreign langauge, so no it's not just babbling...
Ted

Speaking in tongue

Post by Ted »

We find this speaking in tongues in Acts 2:4. William Baird in the "Interpreter's One Volume Commentary" pg 731 says: "Further evidence that the Holy Spirit has been given is seen in the speaking in tongues. Although Luke interprets this phenomenon as a miracle of linguistics, the original was probably an outburst of emottional babbling like that discussed in I Cor.12:14.

Shalom

weeder

Speaking in tongue

Post by weeder »

There is no longer a need for speaking in tongues. It is an activity surrounded by mysticism used to draw people to alternative religions. Saying that he who does not speak in tongues is a non believer is another fright tool used to lure. I am sorry to offend ( and bear in mind that I fell prey to these tactics 30 years ago) that usually I have found that either desperately unhappy or people with limlted intelligence are drawn in by these tactics. I must also say ( which you may feel to be a contridiction) that I do believe in all of the other gifts of holy spirit. Well. excuse me... with the exception of interpertation of tongues which is eliminated with speaking in tongues. Word of knowledge, word of wisdom, phrophesy, faith , healing and miracles. All I need do to remind myself of miracles is to stand outside of the window of a nursery in a hospital... or take in the beauty surrounding me in this beautiful Shenandoah Valley. It is always wise to remember that anything that is of God, is not chaotic, frightening, secrative, intimidating or threatening.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
weber

Speaking in tongue

Post by weber »

weeder wrote: There is no longer a need for speaking in tongues. It is an activity surrounded by mysticism used to draw people to alternative religions. Saying that he who does not speak in tongues is a non believer is another fright tool used to lure. I am sorry to offend ( and bear in mind that I fell prey to these tactics 30 years ago) that usually I have found that either desperately unhappy or people with limlted intelligence are drawn in by these tactics. I must also say ( which you may feel to be a contridiction) that I do believe in all of the other gifts of holy spirit. Well. excuse me... with the exception of interpertation of tongues which is eliminated with speaking in tongues. Word of knowledge, word of wisdom, phrophesy, faith , healing and miracles. All I need do to remind myself of miracles is to stand outside of the window of a nursery in a hospital... or take in the beauty surrounding me in this beautiful Shenandoah Valley. It is always wise to remember that anything that is of God, is not chaotic, frightening, secrative, intimidating or threatening.

Speaking in tongues is misunderstood, probably because of the people who do the babbling and jumping around like maniacs. I have a friend who speaks in tongues and I wish I could explain it to you as she did to me. The words are understood but not necessarily in the arrangement of the words. She says it is calming and she does it in her private prayers as well and she finds it edifying or what we would call elating. My friend is very down to earth, easy going, accepting of all people, prayerful. I cannot imagine her doing something against God or His people.

Nevim

Speaking in tongue

Post by Nevim »

Ted wrote: We find this speaking in tongues in Acts 2:4. William Baird in the "Interpreter's One Volume Commentary" pg 731 says: "Further evidence that the Holy Spirit has been given is seen in the speaking in tongues. Although Luke interprets this phenomenon as a miracle of linguistics, the original was probably an outburst of emottional babbling like that discussed in I Cor.12:14.

Shalom

Does William Baird speak in tongues--evidently not, so why is he a expert ? ( Spert with briefcase= Expert) never heard of the guy anyway!

"Probably", "miracle of Linguistics" all point to someone who doesn't have the Holy Spirit.
Nevim

Speaking in tongue

Post by Nevim »

weber wrote: Speaking in tongues is misunderstood, probably because of the people who do the babbling and jumping around like maniacs.

Been a believer for many years never saw "people babbling and jumping around like maniacs !

weber wrote:

I have a friend who speaks in tongues and I wish I could explain it to you as she did to me. The words are understood but not necessarily in the arrangement of the words. She says it is calming and she does it in her private prayers as well and she finds it edifying or what we would call elating. My friend is very down to earth, easy going, accepting of all people, prayerful. I cannot imagine her doing something against God or His people.

Sounds like your friend is pretty grounded.
weber

Speaking in tongue

Post by weber »

Nevim wrote: Been a believer for many years never saw "people babbling and jumping around like maniacs !

Nevim

When I made that comment, it was made on posts prior to this which you obviously did not read so your reply is way off base.

I made that comment on post by several people who saw people speaking tongues babbling and jumping around and making ghastly sounds and it scared them.

Sounds like your friend is pretty grounded.

miriam

Ted

Speaking in tongue

Post by Ted »

Nevim:-6

Mr. Baird a Bible scholar can't kknow what he is talking about because he hasn't spoken in tongues. LOL. First of all you have no idea about Mr. Baird.

Secondly, there are some things we know intuitively and rationally like I don't have to jump in front of a Mac truck to know that it will kill me. So I guess I know nothing about Mac trucks since I've never had the experience. Some logic!

Shalom

Nevim

Speaking in tongue

Post by Nevim »

Ted wrote: Nevim:-6

Mr. Baird a Bible scholar can't kknow what he is talking about because he hasn't spoken in tongues. LOL. First of all you have no idea about Mr. Baird.

Earth to Ted--I DON"T CARE who Mr. Baird is ! And no he doesn't obiviously doesn't speak in tongues therefore he is not a expert.

Ted wrote:

Secondly, there are some things we know intuitively and rationally like I don't have to jump in front of a Mac truck to know that it will kill me. So I guess I know nothing about Mac trucks since I've never had the experience. Some logic!

Shalom

Oh boy Ted, how is that an answer ? Your intuition is telling you ?

NAS Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?"--so much for intuition Ted, and as far as rationality what's rational about God become a man and dying for the likes of me ? What Ted is rational about miracles ?
Ted

Speaking in tongue

Post by Ted »

Since I wasn't there I really have no idea about Jesus and his miracles. He was noted for being a miracle worker, a healer, a spirit person, and exocist, a teacher etc. I do suspect that the miracles are midrash and parables about Jesus but will leave that up to God.

There are of course thoughts on the miracles of Jesus and I have my own personal ones but they are immaterial. What is important is that one has a developing transforming relationship with the Risen Lord. I have had experiences of the risen One. What matters is that I am in that relationship. I do not need dogma or doctrine or anything else.

Human experience does not need rationallity. I do not need to explain my experience of the risen Lord.

Shalom

Ted

Speaking in tongue

Post by Ted »

I have nothing against you personally. How could I? I don't even know you.

When one comes on as strongly as you try to then others respond likewise.

All I ask of folks is that they realize that no one has all the answers. There are others out there and in here who have different views. Am I all right and you all wrong? Hardly. Is it the other way around? Absolutely not.

There is so much in this world to learn and understand and there is so little time to learn. I feel that I have been called to my path and my companion on my journey is the risen One. In fact I have lived most of my life on prayer and reliance on the Holy Spirit. This is the way I have been led. I do not expect others to follow my way for they must each follow the path they have been led along. It is along this journey that we meet some of the neatest folks around. It is from them that we learn as well.

Could I be wrong? Sure, but I think generally I'm on the right track and I suspect that you feel exactly the same. I have no problem with that. What is called for is mutual understanding and respect. Within those parameters I will disagree with many if not all points. However, that does not mean that I don't respect others. I do.

Shalom

Clint

Speaking in tongue

Post by Clint »

Speaking in tongues is so controversial I don’t know if I really want to weigh in. It is also so interesting I can’t help myself.

The first thing that comes to mind is 1 Corinthians 14:39 where after extensive teaching about speaking in tongues with its pitfalls and blessing Paul says; “Wherefore brethren covet to prophesy and forbid not to speak in tongues”.

I kept the gift of tongues at arms length for many years until I was faced with proof it is real. I was delivering the message and an elder was doing the liturgy. At the close of the liturgy a woman stood up and spoke in tongues. The elder said. “is there an interpretation”…no one responded…again… “ is there an interpretation”…still no response. He said “if this isn’t out of order there needs to be an interpretation”…still no response. He nodded to me and I began delivering the message. Another woman signaled the elder as he walked away and he went to her. I saw her give him something. After the service the elder gave me a 3X5 card. On the card was written an apology from the second woman for not responding to the Spirit to give the interpretation. On the other side of the card was written words that could have passed for a brief outline of the message I had just delivered…only they were written before I delivered it.

I forbid not to speak in tongues.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Ted

Speaking in tongue

Post by Ted »

Clint:-6

An interesting post. What I personally believe does not in any way cast judgments on others.

Such is not my cup of tea and I've never had the experience.

Shalom

Clint

Speaking in tongue

Post by Clint »

Hello Ted

What I'm learning is that what I personally believe is subject to change as I grow...and I can only hope and pray that I'm growing.

Shalom
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Nevim

Speaking in tongue

Post by Nevim »

Since I wasn't there I really have no idea about Jesus and his miracles. He was noted for being a miracle worker, a healer, a spirit person, and exocist, a teacher etc. I do suspect that the miracles are midrash and parables about Jesus but will leave that up to God.

There are of course thoughts on the miracles of Jesus and I have my own personal ones but they are immaterial. What is important is that one has a developing transforming relationship with the Risen Lord. I have had experiences of the risen One. What matters is that I am in that relationship. I do not need dogma or doctrine or anything else.

Human experience does not need rationallity. I do not need to explain my experience of the risen Lord.

Shalom

Well Ted, niether do I...
Atsila

Speaking in tongue

Post by Atsila »

Shalom

But you do know that God is not the author of confusion and what could be more confusing or baffling than the babblings of confusing babblers?
Atsila

Speaking in tongue

Post by Atsila »

Clint wrote: Hello Ted

What I'm learning is that what I personally believe is subject to change as I grow...and I can only hope and pray that I'm growing.

Shalom
You change as you grow to become wiser. God never changes, HE is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Because HE does not need it? ;)
koan

Speaking in tongue

Post by koan »

I had no idea that speaking in tongue was a common phenomenon until reading this thread. I thought it was a sign of demonic possession. Too many movies, I guess. (re The Exorcist)

I looked it up to find out why so many people have heard this done. There seem to be two types. Glossolalia and Xenoglossia. I've heard Xenoglossia before. A friend of mine started having a conversation in German with a German friend of ours though she doesn't know German and couldn't speak it before or after the conversation. Our friend said her German at the time was very good, including the accent.

I tried Glossolalia just now and ended up spilling my coffee all over me. I'll take that as a sign that I shouldn't be speaking in tongues.
Nevim

Speaking in tongue

Post by Nevim »

Clint wrote: Speaking in tongues is so controversial I don’t know if I really want to weigh in. It is also so interesting I can’t help myself.

The first thing that comes to mind is 1 Corinthians 14:39 where after extensive teaching about speaking in tongues with its pitfalls and blessing Paul says; “Wherefore brethren covet to prophesy and forbid not to speak in tongues”.

I kept the gift of tongues at arms length for many years until I was faced with proof it is real. I was delivering the message and an elder was doing the liturgy. At the close of the liturgy a woman stood up and spoke in tongues. The elder said. “is there an interpretation”…no one responded…again… “ is there an interpretation”…still no response. He said “if this isn’t out of order there needs to be an interpretation”…still no response. He nodded to me and I began delivering the message. Another woman signaled the elder as he walked away and he went to her. I saw her give him something. After the service the elder gave me a 3X5 card. On the card was written an apology from the second woman for not responding to the Spirit to give the interpretation. On the other side of the card was written words that could have passed for a brief outline of the message I had just delivered…only they were written before I delivered it.

I forbid not to speak in tongues.

Amen Clint !
Nevim

Speaking in tongue

Post by Nevim »

Atsila wrote: But you do know that God is not the author of confusion and what could be more confusing or baffling than the babblings of confusing babblers?

Like I said Ted, Greek or any other language I cannot understand sounds like babbling to me. I fail to see your point other then you just like to argue. All things in a Penecostal church are supposed to be in an orderly fashion. It's the least of the Gifts of the Spirit and the people have the most trouble with.
twizzel

Speaking in tongue

Post by twizzel »

Nevim wrote: It matter little what the 120 disciples were "babbling" the thing is that the folks present hear what they were saying in thier own languages. Greek sounds like babbling to me, as does any other foreign langauge, so no it's not just babbling...
The 12 disiples minus judas went out of a building into the towns square and started to preach most if not every body there would speak the same language so it it not suprisising they were understood , being a good catholic boy I believe it is the message in the bible which is important not the words.
Nevim

Speaking in tongue

Post by Nevim »

twizzel wrote: The 12 disiples minus judas went out of a building into the towns square and started to preach most if not every body there would speak the same language so it it not suprisising they were understood , being a good catholic boy I believe it is the message in the bible which is important not the words.

Anything but God's Word eh. And it wasn't the 12 disciples it was the 12 Apostles. Without words there is no message

Atsila

Speaking in tongue

Post by Atsila »

twizzel wrote: The 12 disiples minus judas went out of a building into the towns square and started to preach most if not every body there would speak the same language so it it not suprisising they were understood , being a good catholic boy I believe it is the message in the bible which is important not the words.
What do you use to convey a message? Even smoke signals have word meanings, or they cannot be conveyed.

A good catholic boy has little to do with the bible. He is weaned and trained on sacred tradition, which makes no claims on being biblical. Every facet of sacred tradition is of pagan origin, beginning with the mass and ending with it.

Aside from that, the RCC has a charismatic movement. And guess what they do? The pope approves it. ;)
weber

Speaking in tongue

Post by weber »

Atsila wrote:

Aside from that, the RCC has a charismatic movement. And guess what they do? The pope approves it. ;)

Are you sure about that Atsila

To my knowledge the RCC does not approve of the charismatic movement within the church. I know that it is not approved in all of the churches.

OOOOOOops I guess it is approved. Strange.

Atsila

Speaking in tongue

Post by Atsila »

weber wrote: Are you sure about that Atsila

To my knowledge the RCC does not approve of the charismatic movement within the church. I know that it is not approved in all of the churches.

OOOOOOops I guess it is approved. Strange.
Strange? :) How so?
weber

Speaking in tongue

Post by weber »

Atsila wrote: Strange? :) How so?

Strange to me. I thought that it was not approved of. However that obvisouly is a local thing. I associate speaking in tongues with charismatic movement. And I associate it all with movements and things I am not accustomed to. Charismatic is a movement that some Catholics are part of but they also go to churches that are not a part of the movement which makes for some uncomfortable times when they do their chamismatic within a group of people who are not, and it feels strange....that is what my word strange is about. It is like a split in the religion and I didn't think the split was approved of.

Atsila

Speaking in tongue

Post by Atsila »

weber wrote: Strange to me. I thought that it was not approved of. However that obvisouly is a local thing. I associate speaking in tongues with charismatic movement. And I associate it all with movements and things I am not accustomed to. Charismatic is a movement that some Catholics are part of but they also go to churches that are not a part of the movement which makes for some uncomfortable times when they do their chamismatic within a group of people who are not, and it feels strange....that is what my word strange is about. It is like a split in the religion and I didn't think the split was approved of.
I understand your concerns and feel your discomfort. Thanks for the explanation.

God bless.
William Ess

Speaking in tongue

Post by William Ess »

I witnessed it once whilst attending a nonconformist service at the request of a friend about 20 years ago. Two-thirds of the way through the service a woman jumped up and started rambling away in a language I took to be Russian. A chap in the congregation gave what I presumed was a translation. I didn't take much notice of what was being said as I was more concerned with finding a bolt-hole so that I could disappear for five minutes to have a cigarette.

At the end of the service I found myself queueing for tea next to the woman so, for want of anythign better to say, I asked how long it had been since she left Russia. The rest of the congregation turned on me quite savagely at which point my colleague rescued me and told me that it had been an example of the gift of tongues.

What was my reaction? Largely one of scepticism. I have no doubt the woman was quiote sincere but I cannot help wondering if this sort of thing is psychological rather than spiritual. What is the point of the gift of tongues? I can't see that it helps in any way our understanding of God.
weber

Speaking in tongue

Post by weber »

William Ess wrote: What was my reaction? Largely one of scepticism. I have no doubt the woman was quiote sincere but I cannot help wondering if this sort of thing is psychological rather than spiritual. What is the point of the gift of tongues? I can't see that it helps in any way our understanding of God.

Hi William

I gather that speaking tongues is edifying for those who do it. For them, the Holy Spirit working through them is an awesome feeling and they feel very close to God. I don't know that their speaking in tongues does anybody else any good. But then I have to ask myself if we should expect them then to stop it or do we accept it. I don't know the answer except that those who do it, love it and I don't think I could ask them to stop. I don't know enough about it.

William Ess

Speaking in tongue

Post by William Ess »

weber wrote: Hi William

I gather that speaking tongues is edifying for those who do it. For them, the Holy Spirit working through them is an awesome feeling and they feel very close to God. I don't know that their speaking in tongues does anybody else any good. But then I have to ask myself if we should expect them then to stop it or do we accept it. I don't know the answer except that those who do it, love it and I don't think I could ask them to stop. I don't know enough about it.

The question is: what is the point of it? Is there a need to speak in a mysterious language that is not generally understood. God works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform but not that mysterious. It smacks of the African savages who prostrated themselves before a tree and declared that it had turned into some sort of God. We onlookers just saw a tree.

I have seen and have been thankful for God's work buit it has nothing to do with the music hall.

Return to “Christianity”