The Law

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Clint

The Law

Post by Clint »

Do you mean how Number's 31 somehow relates to the difference between the letter and the spirit of the law?
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Ted

The Law

Post by Ted »

Clint:-6

To put it succinctly it has to do with war crimes. People have been tried and executed for those. Civilians are non combatants. If they did take up weapons to defend themselves personally it is still a war crime. "Collateral damage" is a nice sanitizing word for murder. I grant you that in many cases it is unavoidable.

This even raises questions about our European ancestors and the invasion of North America and the willful murder of the First Nations people who were only defending their land. This happened on both sides of the border.

Those folks called themselves Puritans etc. In Canada they were "missionaries" and fur traders who used underhanded means to get their way.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Clint

The Law

Post by Clint »

Ted;754018 wrote: Clint:-6

To put it succinctly it has to do with war crimes. People have been tried and executed for those. Civilians are non combatants. If they did take up weapons to defend themselves personally it is still a war crime. "Collateral damage" is a nice sanitizing word for murder. I grant you that in many cases it is unavoidable.

This even raises questions about our European ancestors and the invasion of North America and the willful murder of the First Nations people who were only defending their land. This happened on both sides of the border.

Those folks called themselves Puritans etc. In Canada they were "missionaries" and fur traders who used underhanded means to get their way.

Shalom

I personally have little interest in your discussion. If I did, I would probably have started a thread dealing with it but as you can see I started this thread to discuss something different.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Ted

The Law

Post by Ted »

jester:-6

There is only one definite or constant in the universe and that is God.

If as the Bible says, and I believe this to be true, then God has written his laws in our heart. We know inherently what is right and wrong. Culture can and does effect our behaviour.

Herein lies the problem. What are those laws? Most cultures around the world recognize that murder is wrong, most recognize that theft is wrong etc. However, is taking someone's life in self defense murder? I think everyone would agree that it was and is appropriate if necessary. Now we can call it what we like but the taking of one's life is generally wrong with some exceptions.

The same holds true for theft. A person lost in the bush stumbles upon a cottage. He is hungry and cold. Is it wrong for him to break into that cottage and eat and put a fire in the stove. Technically that could be called theft and a B. & E. Who would convict him? This is an area where common sense must take over.

I could go on but I think you should see what I am getting at. Circumstances and conditions must qualify the law. It cannot always be applied rigidly.

This reminds me of the last few years I was in education. The ministry wanted to institute a policy of non-tolerance for school bullying. You call those in, involved, and find out that there are two or maybe three sides to the story. If they are all credible, which one to believe? Do you suspend them all including someone who may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We consider it immoral for children to be encouraged to engage in sexual play. Yet in the south Pacific there were and are cultures that encourage it. To their way of thinking it is no wrong and the children learn from it. Here again, one faces the influence of both tradition and culture. We ought not to judge them by our standards. Generally they follow all the laws such as not committing murder or stealing etc.

It most definitely would be nice and much easier if everything was black or white. But such is not the case. That is what is. I would also add that it probably would make the world a dull and boring place.

Now to justice and compassion. Quite clearly from the Bible and the stories and authentic teachings of Jesus he placed primacy on justice and compassion. He lived it and he died it. This is the same basic tenets of all the great faiths in the world. We must not disparage a faith based on the actions of extremists. Can you imaging judging the Christian faith on the basis of Phelps or Robertson, or Falwell. Man seems to have an innate feeling that he must not allow others to suffer if he can help it--God's laws??? I definitely think so.

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”