Club politics

Discuss cruiser bikes, the lifestyle, clubs, and other issues.
BabyRider

Club politics

Post by BabyRider »

In an effort to generate some interest in our new biker forum, here's a story about a recent club happening:

One of the bigger clubs here in Michigan held a gathering to celebrate the opening of a new chapter in Detroit. This club, who I will call the "Freeway Riders" has a history with the Blue Angels that is rather...er..."unfriendly." Recently, however, the younger blood of both clubs have been working towards a more peaceful co-existence, and the Angels were invited to attend the party.

A group of us went and after some preliminary tension, we started to have a good time. A while into the festivities, a member of the Riders came to our group and asked if we would like to meet Little Joe. That would be THE man of the Riders. National President, Mr. Big Wig, the buck-stops-here A #1 hard ass. Heck yeah we want to meet him! Off goes said member to find Little Joe. A few minutes later they both return and introductions are extended. We are in the presence of a seriously powerful guy and it's pretty obvious what all the members think of him. He is watched very closely, and our group is basically surrounded by Riders, just keeping an eye on their president, mainly because he's bombed out of his gourd. There's about 300 of them at this party, and 10 of us.

Little Joe sticks his hand out to Bullet to shake, which Bullet does. He does not introduce me, and a few seconds later Joe sticks his hand back out again, in the general direction of both Bullet and me. I thought he was looking for another handshake from Bullet, and Bullet thought he was wanting to shake MY hand, so neither of us made a move. Little Joe, being so polluted, was offended that he was left hanging. "What? You don't want to shake my hand??!" he asks Bullet. After some explaining and shuffling, we made it clear what we all thought, and Joe was somewhat appeased. Tension after that was really high, and we decided not to press our luck and left.

My question was simple: What the HELL is a guy in Little Joe's position doing getting that drunk at a gathering where his former and recent enemies are?

A few days later, we were all at the clubhouse around 2 a.m. when the buzzer rang. Outside is a Rider with a bike that has a flat. He had just blown a tire a block from our clubhouse and limped it there. No Rider had been in an Angel clubhouse in over 10 years. We brought his bike in, and got on the phone to find him a ride home, but none of his brothers were around. We called one of our brothers, who jumped into his car and came down to get this guy a ride home.

I'd say relations between these 2 clubs are going to take a real positive turn, and this could be a big deal for the Angels. The brothers are pretty happy about the possibility of the new allies.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

abbey

Club politics

Post by abbey »

Good story BR, here's hoping that things take a turn for the better,

you'll probably always be at loggerheads but it would be nice to think that you could all co-exist without trouble between you.

Here's hoping x
hdfxsb83

Club politics

Post by hdfxsb83 »

My question was simple: What the HELL is a guy in Little Joe's position doing getting that drunk at a gathering where his former and recent enemies areBR what type of club do you belong to ? it sounds like an extreme law abiding club . i don't know what joe's party habits are , but he obviously doesn't see your club as a threat . when you're at another club's santioned event , they expect to be treated with the utmost respect . when "clubs" have an event , they're are members who can get hammered and then they're are members who are supposed to stay soper . they are supposed to keep things from getting out of control . take care
BabyRider

Club politics

Post by BabyRider »

hdfxsb83 wrote: My question was simple: What the HELL is a guy in Little Joe's position doing getting that drunk at a gathering where his former and recent enemies areBR what type of club do you belong to ? it sounds like an extreme law abiding club . i don't know what joe's party habits are , but he obviously doesn't see your club as a threat . when you're at another club's santioned event , they expect to be treated with the utmost respect . when "clubs" have an event , they're are members who can get hammered and then they're are members who are supposed to stay soper . they are supposed to keep things from getting out of control . take care
Well well...someone who sounds like they know the inner workings of M/C's! Cool....

Yes, his club, for the most part is law-abiding. (I say "his" because women are not members) It is not a 1% club.

I am fully aware of the importance of respect, at any club function, my point was that "Joe", being in a position like he is, with MANY other clubs present, should have, IMO, stayed somewhat more sober. He was the ultimate decision-maker if things were to get hairy and his hackles were already up, for a misconstrued insult, because he was so drunk.

I would never presume to tell another club how to run their business, my thread is more to generate interest in this particular area, to discuss the M/C lifestlye. I'm the only person here living the life, and I thought others might be interested in learning a bit about the politics.

Based on size alone, "my" club is not a threat to Joe's. But taking the history into account, it just seemed like a bad move on his part. I felt pretty safe bringing it up here, just to speculate about, as I would never bring it up to any club member, of any club. Hopefully you'll come back and we can discuss this a bit more. I was just about to post another thread on the subject.

Respects.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

gmc

Club politics

Post by gmc »

How bad is the trouble between you? I thought the outlaw gangs had kind of had their day or is it still a thriving culture? Was at the Harley ride out in aviemore this year and they were having a great time good barbecue. Some obviously take the lifestyle bit seriously which is a bit bizarre in a uk setting. Place like aviemore some of the mountain bikes cost as much as the motorbikes, fort william even more so.

I've promised myself a motor bike next year, can see the attraction of a cruiser but they seem kind of impractical in a country with bends in the roads.
nvalleyvee

Club politics

Post by nvalleyvee »

The only thing I know about clubs comes from my best friend - he is dead now killed on his bike 10 years ago - I was never in the community of the club - I was always the "woman who lives in the real world". He was my best friend - we dated at 17 and kept our friendship. He was the man I chose to be my daughter's Godfather because of the way we had loved and how much he felt for Emily, he went to the hospital with my husband at Emily's birth, he looked out for my daughter at all times, he was a teacher and helped her with her homework. I always thought that because he was a club biker - he held his relationships and committments dear to his heart. We were friends - always.

I'll never forget the day Emily was in DARE assembly and they brought the girl in that ran him over - dragged him and his bike for 8 blocks before she stopped her truck... It was a DARE assemly so this girl could tell her story of driving drunk. I was called to the school because it was 3 days after his funeral and this girl was the person who killed him. My daughter was more than very upset. She came out of the bleachers and screamed at that girl that she had killed her Godfather - one of the most important people in her life.

We were at a hospital checking Emily in for a surgery when the news came on that this girl was sentenced to putting John's picture up in hewr room for 6 months. Yes it was a big thing because she was Indian - drving a truck registered on the reservation - no insurance. A bunch of us had gotten together to bury John - in the Indian tradition that he loved so much. We had to send his soul.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
BabyRider

Club politics

Post by BabyRider »

gmc wrote: How bad is the trouble between you? I thought the outlaw gangs had kind of had their day or is it still a thriving culture?
The trouble between the 2 clubs was very bad about 15 years ago. They went to war, and I don't feel comfortable saying more than that, and that the 2 clubs are working towards peace now.

Outlaw clubs are alive and well, and in fact, growing. And it's "club" not "gang." Any self-respecting biker, outlaw club or not, takes offense to the term "gang." M/C's are self-policing for the most part, which is one of the reasons you don't hear much about them when there is trouble. There is a heirarchy in place with clubs answering to federations, and dominant clubs depending on where they are located.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Return to “Biker Forum”