Historical Editing WWII Memorial

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Have you had a chance to visit the World War II Memorial?

A friend visited the Memorial in Washington DC and couldn't get this conflict out of his mind.

President Eisenhower - President Truman and President Roosevelt had inspiring words engraved on the Memorial.

The words from President Roosevelt used in his Speech to the Nation on December 7, 1941 ended with "So Help Us God".

"They" left out the end of the speech.

So I ask - who gave them the right to change the words of history?

Patsy

Reference - book "Flags Of Our Fathers"
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I shall look for that next time I am there.

It is a very awesome memorial. I have been there several times.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Omiting "GOD" maybe politically correct now - I don't appreciate it.

Baby Boomers & younger may not notice - Veterans of that war do.

My Father (deceased) is on that Memorial - my Father-in-law(90 yrs old) is on that Memorial, and doesn't appreciate it. I've always wanted to see this Memorial.

It took me years to go see Pearl Harbor - last year while in Hawaii I went to Pearl Harbor - it was tough just getting thru the parking lot - Veterans crying and wives consoling. Pearl Harbor is very interesting and I plan on returning this November.

Patsy
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Patsy Warnick;661040 wrote: Omiting "GOD" maybe politically correct now - I don't appreciate it.

Baby Boomers & younger may not notice - Veterans of that war do.

My Father (deceased) is on that Memorial - my Father-in-law(90 yrs old) is on that Memorial, and doesn't appreciate it. I've always wanted to see this Memorial.

It took me years to go see Pearl Harbor - last year while in Hawaii I went to Pearl Harbor - it was tough just getting thru the parking lot - Veterans crying and wives consoling. Pearl Harbor is very interesting and I plan on returning this November.

Patsy

I think you misunderstood. The words from President Roosevelt used in his Speech to the Nation on December 7, 1941 ended with "So Help Us God". The part that was deleted was the declaration of WAR...........that was a given.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

NO

The part that is deleted from the Memorial is "So Help Us God"

which is the last part of Roosevelts speech and should be on the Memorial.

Patsy
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Yeah, I gott’a go with the man said it then it should be up there.

Besides, whether or not there's a God, I can see nothing wrong with imploring His/Her/Its help as long as we're doing everything we can to help ourselves. Everyone knows we can use all the help we can get.

Return to “History”