Pearl Harbor Day

RedGlitter

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by RedGlitter »

Survivors Gather to Remember the Attack on Pearl Harbor

Friday , December 07, 2007

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii —

Everett Hyland was ferrying ammunition to an anti-aircraft gun aboard the USS Pennsylvania on Dec. 7, 1941, when a bomb hit, throwing him down. "I never heard anything. The only thing I knew I was flat on my face and my arms were extended in front of me and they were all purple and bleeding," Hyland said. "I ended up pretty well banged up."

On Friday, Hyland was to join some 50 survivors and hundreds more family members and officials at a Pearl Harbor pier overlooking the USS Arizona Memorial to honor the attack's victims.

The USS Pennsylvania was among the last ships hit by Japanese bombs 66 years ago as it was dry-docked and not sitting in Battleship Row. The vessel escaped with moderate damage and set sail again after being repaired. Even so, 15 men aboard were killed and 38 men were wounded. Fourteen were judged missing in action.

The casualties added to the overall Pearl Harbor attack toll of 2,388 dead and 1,178 wounded. The shocking assault thrust the United States into World War II.

Hyland spent nine months in the hospital recovering from the blast. Shrapnel tore through his left leg and he lost part of his left elbow and bicep. He suffered flash burns that seared skin off his arms and legs.

"I got a quick facial out of it," joked Hyland, 84. His brother, after visiting the burn unit where Hyland was staying, "said we looked like roast turkeys lined up."

This year, survivors and their family members are dedicating a new memorial for the USS Oklahoma, which lost 429 sailors and Marines — the second greatest loss of life among any of the battleships in Pearl Harbor.

About 18 of the estimated 90 living survivors who were aboard the USS Oklahoma were expected to join Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry and other dignitaries for the dedication of the $1.2 million memorial.

The monument includes 429 white marble standards, each with the name of a fallen sailor or Marine, surrounded by black granite panels etched with a silhouette of the battleship and notable quotes from World War II-era figures that were selected by some of the survivors, said retired Navy Rear Adm. Greg Slavonic, co-chair of the USS Oklahoma Memorial Committee.

The Oklahoma was hit with the first torpedo of the morning assault. It capsized after being struck by eight more, trapping 400 men in its overturned hull. About 30 of the trapped men were later rescued by Pearl Harbor Navy Yard workers who hammered their way through the ship's metal.

Retired Navy Cmdr. Tucker McHugh, who co-chaired the USS Oklahoma Memorial Committee, said he thinks the memorial will bring some sense of closure to those who survived and even to those who perished.

"I think there's been a void in the minds and hearts of these shipmates that their shipmates were never honored with a lasting memorial," McHugh said. "Total closure might come when the last survivor passes away and they're all reunited together.

"Even though 429 soldiers and Marines died, I believe they're still with us. I think they're looking down and saying, 'Thank you."'

Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, who witnessed the Pearl Harbor attack as a 17-year-old high school senior and who later received the Medal of Honor for fighting in Europe, said he hoped the ceremony would prompt people to think of those serving today.

"There are over 1.4 million in many countries, not just Iraq and Afghanistan, serving us, ready to stand in harms way for us," Inouye told The Associated Press this week. "And there are an equal number of families, children and wives and husbands spending time at home thinking about them."

Inouye has regularly participated in annual Pearl Harbor remembrance ceremonies since he became a U.S. senator in the 1960s. But he's missing this year's event because of Senate business.

Organizers expected about 2,500 people to attend Friday's ceremony. But it was likely to be smaller than the 65th anniversary, which drew some 500 survivors and their families.

The Arizona After Being Hit:

chonsigirl

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, a day to remember. The History Channel has shows on it right now.

Acrid smoke streams aloft

Racing to tarnish the sky

Incessantly, never to grasp a breath.

Zeros cascade raindrops of doom

On her once pristine pride.

Never pausing, slowly plummeting into

Azure seas that contain her grave.

Attached files
RedGlitter

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by RedGlitter »

That was beautiful, Chonsi.
Patsy Warnick

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Pearl Harbor - we have visited Hawaii (Waikiki) several times and I could never make myself go to Pearl Harbor. I knew it would erupt too much emotion - last year we went - in the parking lot was a older gentlemen crying, I started crying

I couldn't go to the Memorial site. (thats a boat shuttle out to the AZ). We went into the main building - artifacts - stories - pictures similar to the one posted..

This year we go to Pearl Harbor - which is something one should see if you have the opportunity.

So we didn't tour the main building, just waited for the shuttle boat - as we waited we start talking to this Naval Officer, nice young man, few chuckles go bye as we chat - he says I want to go home - where's home?

Tacoma Washington - are you kidding me - I'm from Tacoma..

Couldn't believe it - we were neighbors once - so we'd come full circle..

I've asked about this & had several replies, that their visiting for their family etc. Please don't take this wrong

I found it alittle uncomfortable with Japanese touring Pearl Harbor.

Patsy
CARLA

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by CARLA »

We should remember this day always. :-1
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

RedGlitter

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by RedGlitter »

Patsy Warnick;736083 wrote:

I've asked about this & had several replies, that their visiting for their family etc. Please don't take this wrong

I found it alittle uncomfortable with Japanese touring Pearl Harbor.

Patsy

I know how you meant it Patsy, no worries. I think I would feel strange to see them there too. That's a great story about the man from Tacoma!

CARLA;736086 wrote: We should remember this day always. :-1

Thanks Carla. I make it a point to always say "Pearl Harbor Day" instead of just December 7th. It's a quirk I have, a way to recognize what happened.
Patsy Warnick

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I just say the news - stated they want to name a new aircraft carrier

USS Arizona.

I also wanted to mention - while at Pearl Harbor, a few survivors were there to chat & for autographs & photos. They were in their uniforms.

Aloha

Patsy
RedGlitter

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by RedGlitter »

Patsy Warnick;736113 wrote: I just say the news - stated they want to name a new aircraft carrier

USS Arizona.

I also wanted to mention - while at Pearl Harbor, a few survivors were there to chat & for autographs & photos. They were in their uniforms.

Aloha

Patsy

Hmm. What do you think about that? I am mixed on it. On one hand it would be an honor to name it the Arizona but on the other hand it would be an honor not to. I guess they can't go wrong either way! :)

I think if I were there and were seeing those people in uniform I would have been a little overcome by it. In a good way.
Patsy Warnick

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I don't know if naming another craft the USS Arizona is the right dedication.

This hasn't been approved thru all the red tape yet - but "they're" pushing for it.

Like I said Red - Pearl Harbor is emotional for me

I watch the survivors chat & autograph - I couldn't approach - just couldn't.

my eyes started to well up.

I won't be going back to Pearl Harbor - its very interesting, oil is still spilling out of the AZ - top of the craft small shafts are above water - rusty. You have to remember several are buried there. Some people aren't as respectful as they should be ( another nationality).

Interesting fact - when these survivors do die their name is added to the USS Arizona memorial wall, which is on the Arizona. I'm not sure if they're ashes are scatered or what - but the name is added with the date of death - so they're with their buddys.

Its something to see at least once..

Patsy
spot

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by spot »

Naming a new warship after one which was destroyed in combat has a long history in the Royal Navy. We don't have a tradition of retiring a number from a sports team to set against it though. Here the re-use of the name would be automatically seen as a gesture of respect.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Patsy Warnick

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Thank You Spot

I thought it was a form of respect - wasn't sure

Patsy

Return to “History”