Ww1

dubs

Ww1

Post by dubs »

Here y'are Fluffy Butt! :)

BBC - Remembrance - Ninety Years of Remembrance 1918-2008

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
gmc

Ww1

Post by gmc »

Most people do understand what war means. The thing we need to be wary of is the kind of mentality where those who oppose going to war are dismissed as simply being unpatriotic and not capable of understanding the issues.

I think you underestimate the young. At my wife's secondary school the older kids are taking a great interest in poppy day, the reason seems to be that most of them know either directly or indirectly someone close to their own age that is in the armed forces. It's a bit different when the news is about someone you actually know.
gmc

Ww1

Post by gmc »

Posted by fuzzy butt

Christ, learn people, learn!!!!!!

That's what rememberance is all about !!!!!!

The emphasis here is very much on the horrors of war and the folly of blind patriotism rather than a patriotic flag waving exercise. I imagine it's much the same in Australia. Kind of honour the dead of the war to end all wars by making another war unnecessary

fuzzy butt;1054921 wrote: gmc I don't underestimate the young ....but the young are led by older men and recruitment officers............. I condemn those men, and the teachers that prepare them for the recruitment bullshit. sometimes patriotism can be a seductive master

The young of this generation are a great deal more informed and less inclined just to follow blindly than people give them credit for.

I have a teenage nephew going through basic training just now. The guys training are all combat experienced and quite clearly not pissing about drumming in to him that it is not a game. I don't think they want dreamers under their command. They also take all recruits across to france to visit the battlefields in Flanders and the beaches at Normandy to drive home the reality of what they are getting in to. Half the original complement he joined up with have left. If he had any illusions about it being glorious he doesn't any more. Jingoism died out a long time ago. In would save your condemnation for the politicians that think a war is a good thing to start in the first place and cry crocodile tears on remembrance day over those who have died because of them.
cogob

Ww1

Post by cogob »

Why was it refered to as 'The Great War', I can see nothing great about war....
spot

Ww1

Post by spot »

Great as in overwhelmingly big and momentous.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “History”