I need some help on Sir James Tyrell of Suffolk

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Any historians here want to do a bit of sleuthing for me?

turns out he's one of my grandfathers. Gipping estate eventually came to the Brownes. Ummm my great 3 times garndfather. gipping hall was demolished but if anyone knows of any pictures of it before it was I'd love you forever.

anyway I'm after a portrait painted by henry walton of the family painted in 1808. I can't find it anywhere .

And if any of you know anything about a Sir John Guilford or a Sir Thomas Waslingham? I'd really appreciate it . They are my other grandfathers.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1433917 wrote: Any historians here want to do a bit of sleuthing for me?

turns out he's one of my grandfathers. Gipping estate eventually came to the Brownes. Ummm my great 3 times garndfather. gipping hall was demolished but if anyone knows of any pictures of it before it was I'd love you forever.

anyway I'm after a portrait painted by henry walton of the family painted in 1808. I can't find it anywhere .

And if any of you know anything about a Sir John Guilford or a Sir Thomas Waslingham? I'd really appreciate it . They are my other grandfathers.

I guess this namesake is too far back :-

Sir James Tyrell (d.1502) [Henchman of King Richard III, Murderer of the Princes in the Tower]

but certainly a forebearer which makes the guy who posted this family tree :-

RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: RAY BALFOUR FAMILY TREE

a relative.

Also, are you sure it's Waslingham? Sir Thomas Walsingham was a well known Elizabethan courtier :-

WALSINGHAM, Sir Thomas (1561-1630), of Scadbury, Chislehurst, Kent. | History of Parliament Online

Again a bit far back but likely of the same family.

Sir John's roots also appear to be back in the day :-

RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Ancestry of John D Newport

Gipping Hall was certainly still going in 1872 :-

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gipping like this:

GIPPING, a hamlet-chapelry in Stowmarket parish, Suffolk; on a headstream of the Gipping, 2¼ miles ENE of Haughley Junction r. station, and 4 NNE of Stowmarket. Post town, Old Newton, under Stowmarket. Acres, 1, 144. Real property, £2, 910. Pop., 76. Houses, 17. Gipping Hall is the seat ofTyrrell, Esq. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patron,Tyrrell, Esq.

Although this blog puts its demise a bit earlier :-

The imagery, style and iconography of St Nicholas will clearly demonstrate it to be pre-Reformation, but it was actually the private chapel of a Big House, Gipping Hall, home of the Tyrrells.

Gipping Hall once stood immediately to the east of the St Nicholas chapel, but it was demolished in the 1850s, and all that remains today is the wide pond, and a couple of outbuildings.

Suffolk Churches

I'll keep on looking
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Here you go :-

He was succeeded in his estates and manors by his elder son Charles Tyrell (1805-87) to whom, by a deed of gift dated 8 May 1871, he had previously bequeathed his personal estate. His will provided for other family members, including his ‘poor daughter Eleanor’, then aged 68, whose care he entrusted to a servant, Mrs. Hannah Sawyer, in return for a cottage and a cow. A painting of Tyrell and his family in 1805 by Henry Walton was sold for £48,000 in 1981.23

TYRELL, Charles (1776-1872), of Polstead, Plashwood and Gipping, Suff. | History of Parliament Online

The BBC have copies of 26 paintings by Walton but your is not one of them :-

Your Paintings - Paintings

The people you need to ask are :-

Tyrrell - Family History Society
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Doing some more searching becasue a couple of dates don't add up but so far it looks like it . Thanks mate I'll look up the Tyrrell family history . You're a good bloke tah
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

That balfour tree was the tree I questioned because it had us attached to it ...the dates didn't add up though .

But a warning to everyone. I asked a friend if he wanted me to do his family tree. He thought it was a great idea. I asked him a few questions and he was very light on info . Well I found his grandfathers etc and I thought he would be excited about it. When I sent him a pic of his great grandfather. He was not excited at all. In fact he was extremely upset that I happened across the pic and asked all manner of questions as to how I got it. It was in the national archives of his service records. That made him even more upset because I was finding out more than he knew about his family. ...............so just be careful of peoples responces to knowledge that they believe they want but dont really want.

Return to “History”