Sovereign Citizen shot

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Bruv

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by Bruv »

The man shot by a Dothan police officer outside an animal shelter died Tuesday night........Dothan Police Sgt. Maurice Eggleston originally told AL.com Tuesday that Robert Earl Lawrence, 30, of Dothan had suffered non-life threatening injuries in the afternoon shooting.........................Lawrence, described as being a sovereign citizen

Sovereign Citizen

Discovered this on my other favourite site, due to the novelty of the fatality being white.

What is the reasoning behind the term Sovereign Citizen ?

It appears to me it's another name for, trouble maker, misfit or maybe anarchist ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FG-administator

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by FG-administator »

You can divide society into two camps. One says "I can't do that, it's against the law" and the other says "I can obviously do that despite it being against the law, after which I shall be obliged to pay whatever penalty the law imposes". The penalties imposed by the law really ought to exclude being shot dead by an armed officer, though, whichever camp one belongs to.

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
Oscar Namechange

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1470614 wrote: The man shot by a Dothan police officer outside an animal shelter died Tuesday night........Dothan Police Sgt. Maurice Eggleston originally told AL.com Tuesday that Robert Earl Lawrence, 30, of Dothan had suffered non-life threatening injuries in the afternoon shooting.........................Lawrence, described as being a sovereign citizen

Sovereign Citizen

Discovered this on my other favourite site, due to the novelty of the fatality being white.

What is the reasoning behind the term Sovereign Citizen ?

It appears to me it's another name for, trouble maker, misfit or maybe anarchist ? I'd say more anarchist. Perhaps we should begin calling Brand the same.

Sovereign citizen - RationalWiki
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by LarsMac »

I've met some of those folks. They tend to be a bit whacky. They make their own license plates for their cars, and and then get upset that they are told they can't drive on public highways.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FG-administator

Sovereign Citizen shot

LarsMac;1470631 wrote: They make their own license plates for their cars, and and then get upset that they are told they can't drive on public highways.
Why did I think you-all in America could choose whatever alphanumeric sequence you fancied, within specified limits, for your car registration plate? Was that never so?

☎|||||||||||

FourPart

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by FourPart »

FG;1470634 wrote: Why did I think you-all in America could choose whatever alphanumeric sequence you fancied, within specified limits, for your car registration plate? Was that never so?
I thought that, much as it is over here, within limits, so long as nobody else already has it you can register it. However, just making one up & sticking it on the car without any legal registration is not quite the same thing.
Bruv

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1470631 wrote: I've met some of those folks. They tend to be a bit whacky. They make their own license plates for their cars, and and then get upset that they are told they can't drive on public highways.

In America you might say 'wacky' in the UK 'eccentric' but honestly these people are just selfish nutters.
LarsMac

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by LarsMac »

Most states have an option that you could select an alpha-numeric pattern that suits you, within reason. But you have to pay for the privilege, and no one else can us the same, and it has to be registered and approved.

However, I saw a bunch of these guys in one location that shall remain un-named that just printed up their own "License Plate" and stuck it on the car whenever they planned to venture out in the "world". Amazing how often they actually got away with it.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1470643 wrote:

However, I saw a bunch of these guys in one location that shall remain un-named that just printed up their own "License Plate" and stuck it on the car whenever they planned to venture out in the "world". Amazing how often they actually got away with it.

How about that the local cops were 'sovereign citizens?'

So all these many decades that I used to be a pot-head I was really being a Sovereign Citizen?
FG-administator

Sovereign Citizen shot

AnneBoleyn;1470645 wrote: So all these many decades that I used to be a pot-head I was really being a Sovereign Citizen?
In your case it goes well with the username and avatar.

☎|||||||||||

AnneBoleyn

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by AnneBoleyn »

FG;1470647 wrote: In your case it goes well with the username and avatar.

I didn't say 'Not Head'. :- )
Mark Aspam

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by Mark Aspam »

FG;1470634 wrote: Why did I think you-all in America could choose whatever alphanumeric sequence you fancied, within specified limits, for your car registration plate? Was that never so?They're called "vanity plates" and as another poster noted, their availability varies from state to state. Here in Illinois, I think that there is a surcharge of about $75 bucks a year or maybe it's a one-time charge, I'm not sure.

You can also get plates advertising your favorite sports team or fraternal organization.

Sometimes getting just the random plates can be embarrassing - a friend of mine happened to get plates beginning with "VD" plus digits and people kidded him about it all year long - this was when new plates were issued annually. Now you keep the same plates and get only a display sticker every year.

Added later: Off the topic but interesting: During WWII, due to wartime demands for steel, Illinois license plates used as a substitute a sturdy cardboard made of compressed soybeans. The plates were quite rugged, and everyone seemed to like them - except farmers - their cows ate them, right off the car or truck. True story.
tude dog

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by tude dog »

My usual practice is never do anything to my automobiles to attract attention. Last year got all wacky and just let loose.

Kansas DMV issues only one tag which goes on the back and you can pretty much do anything you want on the front.

I don't think it was there for more than eight months when some ahole backed into it.

Just as well to take it off before somebody thinks it's Arabic and decides he doesn't like it.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1470707 wrote: Last year got all wacky and just let loose.
You wacky.........you do wacky ?

Kansas DMV issues only one tag which goes on the back and you can pretty much do anything you want on the front.

Just as well to take it off before somebody thinks it's Arabic and decides he doesn't like it.

You only need a plate on the back of your car ?

(It's sort of Arabic isn't it ?)
AnneBoleyn

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Quite a few states require one plate only.
LarsMac

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1470711 wrote: Quite a few states require one plate only.

some years back, we moved from Colorado (requires plates on front and back) to Florida (requires only rear plate) and we just left the Colorado plate on the front.

Later, we took jobs up north.

The cops were apparently confused by the different plates. After being stopped and required to explain ourselves several times, I removed the Colorado plate from the front.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by FourPart »

I know someone who has his own PC Repair business & although he drives a fancy Jag, he told me his personalised Registration Plate, which reflects the name of his busines, is worth more than the car.
tude dog

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1470708 wrote: You wacky.........you do wacky ?

Yea, put a few drinks in me and I become (at least in my mind) I am quite the party saver. After hearing about last night I took to just watching party animals.

Bruv;1470708 wrote: You only need a plate on the back of your car ?

(It's sort of Arabic isn't it ?)

Yup, only one plate. Couple of years ago a brother-in-law from New Mexico came out for the funeral of his brother. We were riding along and got pulled over. BIL, a usual lead foot started whining he wasn't speeding, and as far as I could tell he was on his best behavior. Officer came up and told him plastic covers are illegal. BIL told him he would remove it right there. Officer just told him that was not necessary, but warned he maybe pulled over again.

I suspect the reason for that law in Kansas, like in California and other states with toll roads cameras cannot photo plates with plastic covers so cheaters who drive past the toll on one of those pay for pass a pass so one would not have to slow down.

Arabic and Hebrew are cousin languages, but the alphabets are totally different.
tude dog

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1470716 wrote: some years back, we moved from Colorado (requires plates on front and back) to Florida (requires only rear plate) and we just left the Colorado plate on the front.

Later, we took jobs up north.

The cops were apparently confused by the different plates. After being stopped and required to explain ourselves several times, I removed the Colorado plate from the front.

trouble maker
Bruv

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by Bruv »

Well I am surprised, how do the police see your plates from the front ?

Our number plates are standardised so they can be read automatically by cameras for speeding, tolls, registration and insurance purposes, I suppose you are all law abiding out there ?
FourPart

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by FourPart »

Da Beasty only has plates on the back. Of course, they used to have to have plates on the front wheel as well, but those have long since been illegal (except on vintage classic ones, of course), due to the nature of their being like razor blades.
Mark Aspam

Sovereign Citizen shot

Post by Mark Aspam »

This is a terrible story, but I thought that it might be interesting given the subject of the thread:

A young college student was recently murdered here in a drug deal gone bad.

An innocent bystander noticed that the getaway car had a Chicago Bears (football team) license plate, and based on that info the young killers were apprehended and now face life in prison.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”