Texas Radio Host Launches Anti-Schwarzenegger Effort

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
CVX

Post by CVX »

By Jim Wasserman

Associated Press

SACRAMENTO - A Texas radio host launched a Web-based offensive Thursday against efforts to change the U.S. Constitution to allow Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to run for president of the United States.

Alex Jones, an Austin-based talk show host on the Burnsville, Minn., Genesis Communications Network, said the site raised $5,000 for an anti-Schwarzenegger campaign in its first two hours.

Jones, once voted Austin's favorite radio host and sometimes described as a "conspiracy theorist," said he's raising funds to run TV ads in Austin and Sacramento to counter those beginning this week by Schwarzenegger supporters hoping he'll run for president.

"This is serious," he said. "Arnold is serious. His people are serious."

Jones, 30, said most Americans don't support changing the Constitution to clear the way for a Schwarzenegger presidency. The talk show host who rails daily against globalism, the United Nations and World Bank on satellite and Internet radio, criticizes Schwarzenegger for admitted past drug use and mistreatment of women, and accuses him of Nazi sympathies.

"He's all over TV getting wall-to-wall major news cycle coverage for weeks on end," Jones said. "This is a campaign and his operatives are pushing it. It deserves to be countered."

Jones' unveiled his Web site, www.arnoldexposed.com, as a Silicon Valley-based group begins airing ads supporting the constitutional change. Its ads and a companion Web site, "www.amendforarnold.com, are sponsored by Lissa Morgenthaler-Jones, a Bay Area mutual fund manager and Schwarzenegger campaign donor.

Schwarzenegger aides declined comment on either campaign. But the governor said Tuesday on CNN's Larry King Live that he supports an amendment.

Four proposed amendments are before Congress, but none is moving through the legislative process. Constitutional amendments must be approved by two-thirds of both houses of Congress and then ratified by 38 states to take effect.

Attached files
persephone

Post by persephone »

Thought something like this would happen, people trying to allow him to run for president I mean.

When he was elected as Govener I remember thinking Demolition Man wasn't so much a joke :-2
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Amendment Proposed to allow Foreign-Born President

Knight Ridder:

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, an Orange County, Calif., Republican and longtime friend of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, introduced a constitutional amendment yesterday to allow foreign-born Americans who have been citizens for 20 years to run for president.

Schwarzenegger, who became a citizen in 1983, conveniently makes that cutoff. Now there are proposals by Republicans in both the GOP-controlled U.S. House and Senate, which could make the phrase "President Schwarzenegger" more of a possibility, if still a long shot.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
illuminati

Post by illuminati »

letha wrote: Thought something like this would happen, people trying to allow him to run for president I mean.

When he was elected as Govener I remember thinking Demolition Man wasn't so much a joke :-2

Do you mean "Running Man?"

I think you are right. The joke of today could be the reality of tomorrow.
persephone

Post by persephone »

Nope, I was thinking of Demolition Man with Stallone and Snipes. There is a library named after President Schwarzenegger that Stallone and Bullock drive past, he questions it :wah:

I only remember because I thought it was funny myself.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
koan

Post by koan »

What is it about actors wanting to be president. Reagan, Beatty, Schwartznegger have there been others?

Most of the actors I've met are pretty flaky and/or self absorbed. Mostly their success is based on the words "Take two" and often "Take fourteen". You only get one chance in real life...don't know if they can take the pressure.
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

I don't know, Koan...that seems a little one-dimensional to me. Are we confined and defined by our current jobs?

So actors decide to be politicians. Ok. Many of them are already involved in causes. Their ability to act shows that they can at least temporarily step into another pair of shoes and possibly understand other points of view or lifestyles.

I wouldn't mind a Constitutional Amendment to allow immigrants the right to run for President but I'd want more than 20 years as a citizen. Something more along the lines of allowing those who have moved here before age 10 would be acceptable to me. I don't know ~
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
koan

Post by koan »

It is one dimensional...in a way. I come from a film career that I did not enjoy surrounded by selfish and often despicable people. BUT, remember that actors make a living being someone else. They can put on a mask and play the part so well nobody ever sees who they really are. In the case of presidency, they are starting out with the support of their fans and for this reason actually do make good candidates. I have met some very intelligent actors and actors who are wonderful inspiring people but the government is a business not a story where the ending can be reshot if the test audience didn't like it.

It just seems to me that three actors wanting presidency in my lifetime is a little high in percentages. The real issue, obviously, is changing the regulations and whether that is a good thing or not.
illuminati

Post by illuminati »

letha wrote: Nope, I was thinking of Demolition Man with Stallone and Snipes. There is a library named after President Schwarzenegger that Stallone and Bullock drive past, he questions it :wah:

I only remember because I thought it was funny myself.

Thank you. That is TRULY creepy.

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”