President of Energy Consumer's Club

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
Clint

Post by Clint »

POWER: GORE MANSION USES 20X AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD; CONSUMPTION INCREASE AFTER 'TRUTH'

Mon Feb 26 2007 17:16:14 ET

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization committed to achieving a freer, more prosperous Tennessee through free market policy solutions, issued a press release late Monday:

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, [20-room, eight-bathroom] located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk to walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

For Further Information, Contact:

Nicole Williams, (615) 383-6431

editor@tennesseepolicy.org
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I was surprised he didn't announce a bid for the Presidency. I hated his book and never saw his movie.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

Clint

Post by Clint »

JacksDad;561745 wrote:

:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Well - I am on the floor in hysterics......................

Let's see him do that again without exploding some teeth. You have to know all fire eaters have missing teeth.....:-6
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oh great - he comes off like hes so concerned for the economy - hypercrit

So if Gore runs for President - hes a NO

Patsy
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I passed this article to a Gore loving friend. I called the man bogus years ago.

I LOVE that fire spouting picture! Good thing I wasn't drinking anything then! :wah:
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Swiftboating? Come on, Diuretic, you are better than that. So what if the group is conservative? Of course no liberal group would ever bring up his energy consumption. Don't you think it strange that this man jets all over the world burning thousands of pounds of fuel all the while giving his Chicken Little tirades about the environment. Hasn't he ever heard of teleconferences? Speaking via Satellite? Surely you see the hypocrisy. Are we at the point now that anytime a liberal is criticised it becomes "swiftboating"?
Clint

Post by Clint »

My wife and I live in a 2,500 square foot home. We only actually live in about 1/3 of it so we are going to sell it and get something smaller. Ya really think Al and Tipper need all that room?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I agree. If he lives like that then I can't be bothered to listen to his rhetoric. Let him come down to earth and eat off paper plates like everyone else. Recycled of course.
Clint

Post by Clint »

flopstock;562333 wrote: I personally think the white house should be sold and/or split up into public housing units... I think that mansions, in general, are only around to show folks how much better off one is then 'them'.. no one needs that much space, IMO. But you find that folks get unnaturally attached to the bricks and mortar of their ancestors... just don't understand it, myself..

But that is neither here nor there when discussing his energy use. If you put AL and tip into the average Americans home and they consume 20x the amount of energy that the last family did..fine, write an article about it. If you want to compare their energy consumption to an apartment complex of comparable square footage, with the same number of residents, fine..no problem.

But this is not even apples and oranges...:thinking: and no i don't like him...:wah:

I think the article is comparing average household usage to average household usage. I think that's apples to apples. How can he say everyone else should reduce their engergy consumption when he is spending more on engergy in one of his houses than most people make in a year?

Moral conservatives (with a few exceptions) were very angry with Haggard because he proved to be a hypocrite. When a liberal proves to be a hyporcrite they appear to circle the wagons.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Gore spends more on electricity & Gas than some earn in a year

Clint - I agree - hypercit - and he stands up and receives a Oscar - phony

Its disgusting

Patsy
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Clint;561742 wrote: Gore’s mansion, [20-room, eight-bathroom] located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

It's a big house, so presumably more energy will be used than in a smaller house. Is it old, or newly-built and energy-efficient? I wonder what energy conservation features his house has?

Sorry, some energy conservation features mentioned in D's article.

What does "purchasing carbon offsets" mean?
Clint

Post by Clint »

Bill Sikes;562383 wrote: It's a big house, so presumably more energy will be used than in a smaller house. Is it old, or newly-built and energy-efficient? I wonder what energy conservation features his house has?

Sorry, some energy conservation features mentioned in D's article.

What does "purchasing carbon offsets" mean?

I don't have a clue about "carbon offsets" or how purchasing them improves the environment.

Why is it a sin to drive a SUV rather than something more efficient but it's not a sin to live in house 20 times larger than two people need?
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Diuretic;562386 wrote: No, I'm fine with a reasonable critique Adam - but this is another propaganda job hopping in to Gore just in case he decides to make a run for the White House.

I don't think it's propaganda. It's exposing hypocrisy. The point isn't that Gore uses lots of energy, it's that he uses lots of energy while standing on his soapbox railing that the world will soon end because people are irresponsible and use too much energy. I think Clint's reference to Chuck Haggard is spot on. Nobody really cares whether Chuck Haggard and Jimmy Swaggart go to prostitutes, it's that they sermonize against it while themselves practicing it. Gore does the same thing - he's just like one of those televangelists. Gore: the environmental televangelist! :wah:
Clint

Post by Clint »

flopstock;562499 wrote: I don't know that only two people live there. There could be staff, other family members, they could have offices operating out of the house, any number of things. I honestly don't know the dynamics of that particular household/estate... if the folks wanted me to seriously consider what they present, perhaps they included that info somewhere and I missed it.:confused:

And it's only apples to apples if you compare his usage to the average mansion of its size. Otherwise you are comparing apples to orchards:thinking:

Don't get me wrong here clint, I don't like when either side skews things .. and gore...geesh!:wah:

Okay, the Gore's may have the need for a larger home because of the things that follow a former VP. I don't know how many homes they need like that but I'm sure they need one that's larger than the typical home.

I hope you know I appreciate your views. Even if I don't agree with you I always understand you are being open minded.:)
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe

Updated 12/7/2006 5:45 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

By Peter Schweizer

Correction: In this column that appeared Aug. 10 on the Forum Page, writer Peter Schweizer inaccurately stated that former vice president Al Gore receives royalties from a zinc mine on his property in Tennessee despite his environmental advocacy. He no longer does, as the mine was closed in 2003.

Al Gore has spoken: The world must embrace a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." To do otherwise, he says, will result in a cataclysmic catastrophe. "Humanity is sitting on a ticking time bomb," warns the website for his film, An Inconvenient Truth. "We have just 10 years to avert a major catastrophe that could send our entire planet into a tailspin."

Graciously, Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

For someone who says the sky is falling, he does very little. He says he recycles and drives a hybrid. And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

Then there is the troubling matter of his energy use. In the Washington, D.C., area, utility companies offer wind energy as an alternative to traditional energy. In Nashville, similar programs exist. Utility customers must simply pay a few extra pennies per kilowatt hour, and they can continue living their carbon-neutral lifestyles knowing that they are supporting wind energy. Plenty of businesses and institutions have signed up. Even the Bush administration is using green energy for some federal office buildings, as are thousands of area residents.

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths.

Gore is not alone. Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean has said, "Global warming is happening, and it threatens our very existence." The DNC website applauds the fact that Gore has "tried to move people to act." Yet, astoundingly, Gore's persuasive powers have failed to convince his own party: The DNC has not signed up to pay an additional two pennies a kilowatt hour to go green. For that matter, neither has the Republican National Committee.

Maybe our very existence isn't threatened.

Gore has held these apocalyptic views about the environment for some time. So why, then, didn't Gore dump his family's large stock holdings in Occidental (Oxy) Petroleum? As executor of his family's trust, over the years Gore has controlled hundreds of thousands of dollars in Oxy stock. Oxy has been mired in controversy over oil drilling in ecologically sensitive areas.

Living carbon-neutral apparently doesn't mean living oil-stock free. Nor does it necessarily mean giving up a mining royalty either.

Humanity might be "sitting on a ticking time bomb," but Gore's home in Carthage is sitting on a zinc mine. Gore receives $20,000 a year in royalties from Pasminco Zinc, which operates a zinc concession on his property. Tennessee has cited the company for adding large quantities of barium, iron and zinc to the nearby Caney Fork River.

The issue here is not simply Gore's hypocrisy; it's a question of credibility. If he genuinely believes the apocalyptic vision he has put forth and calls for radical changes in the way other people live, why hasn't he made any radical change in his life? Giving up the zinc mine or one of his homes is not asking much, given that he wants the rest of us to radically change our lives.

USA TODAY

For full disclosure, Schweizer is a fellow at the Hoover Institution so I guess this is nothing more than another swiftboating article. It's not the facts that matter when criticizing a liberal icon, it's that conservatives are mean and hateful for doing so. :lips:
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

"The most vulnerable part of the Earth's environment is the very thin layer

of air clinging near to the surface of the planet, that we are now so

carelessly filling with gaseous wastes that we are actually altering the

relationship between the Earth and the Sun - by trapping more solar

radiation under this growing blanket of pollution that envelops the entire

world," Vice President Gore told the U.N. Global Warming conference of 159

nations this morning in Koyto, Japan.

In what was one the most dramatic speeches in recent memory, Gore announced

to world leaders: "Whether we recognize it or not, we are now engaged in an

epic battle to right the balance of our Earth, and the tide of this battle

will turn on when the majority of people in the world become sufficiently

aroused by shared sense of urgent danger to join an all-out effort."

Applause filed the halls of the Kyoto International Conference Center. "We

must achieve a safe overall concentration level for greenhouse gases in the

Earth's atmosphere."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The biggest irony of the Kyoto global warming conference is that millions of gallons of fuel were burned in the making of this international effort to reduce fossil fuel use.

Journalists travelling from New York, for example, will use at least 203 gallons of jet fuel each for their 15,998 mile, round-trip journeys. The Kyoto Earth Summit Information Center arrived at this figure by examining the manufacturer specifications of one of the planes likely to be used for such travel, the Boeing 747-400. The 747-400 has a long-range fuel consumption rate of 9,950 kilograms of fuel per hour, which translates into 22,111 pounds or 3,300 gallons an hour. Assuming air time of 32.25 hours, 106,435 gallons would be consumed over the course of the round-trip. If both flights to Kyoto and back were at full capacity with 524 passengers -- and this is a big if -- each passenger would be responsible for some 203 gallons of spent fuel.

Travel by other aircraft would require even greater fuel consumption. A DC-10-30, for example, would burn 299 gallons of fuel for every passenger while an L-1011-500 would burn 338 gallons and an MD-11 281 gallons of fuel.

With an estimated 10,000 people participating in the Kyoto conference, jet fuel use alone could easily run into the millions of gallons as Americans and Europeans -- who had to travel great distances -- appear to make up the majority of the conference participants. But even assuming that the average conference participant's journey was just one-half the length of our sample trip, the total jet fuel burned by the 10,000 participants would exceed one million gallons. And this is only the tip of the fossil fuel iceberg: It doesn't include any fossil fuels used for taxicabs, lighting, heating/air-conditioning and other purposes during the event.

In related news, the Drudge Report has reported that Vice President Albert Gore's plane, a Boeing 707, will consume 65,600 gallons of jet fuel at a cost of $131,000 for the Vice President's brief, 24-hour trip to Kyoto.

The National Center For Public Policy Research
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Clint;562451 wrote: I don't have a clue about "carbon offsets" or how purchasing them improves the environment.

Why is it a sin to drive a SUV rather than something more efficient but it's not a sin to live in house 20 times larger than two people need?

To drive a "Suv"? There must be arguments either way. To "live in house 20 times

larger than two people need"? How many people live in Mr. Gore's house?
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

Bill Sikes;562740 wrote: To drive a "Suv"? There must be arguments either way. To "live in house 20 times

larger than two people need"? How many people live in Mr. Gore's house?

Well let's see.

There's Tipper, Al, and.....

all 16 of his personalities.

:D
Clint

Post by Clint »

It's makeing more sense now. Gore spends between $500 and $600 a month on gas to heat his pool and some of the gas he uses is for his yard lights. He does have some solar panels on the house though so all is well. ;)
RhondaLu

Post by RhondaLu »

Clint

Post by Clint »

Diuretic;562926 wrote: Gore is being swiftboated - it's a very sad part of modern politics now that this smearing tactic is used so often. Now regardless of where you stand on the political spectrum the tactic itself damages the reputation of political candidates on spurious grounds. That effectively robs the electorate of the truth about candidates. That's the really annoying thing about the tactic.

On climate change and the environment. In a sense though this can only be good for us as a species and of course our host planet. It even got me thinking about my own effect on the planet.

I have therefore decided to give up eating baked beans :D

No more baked beans for me either! I've converted. :wah:
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Since you guys have given up beans, I can now have a doulbe portion without furhter harming the environment. :guitarist
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Clint;561742 wrote: The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy.

Hang on a minute. The average figure for the UK is less than 4,000KWh

per annum. Why the difference?
Clint

Post by Clint »

Bill Sikes;563142 wrote: Hang on a minute. The average figure for the UK is less than 4,000KWh

per annum. Why the difference?

Climate may have some to do with it but I think it's mostly because we haven't been paying attention to consumption as long as the UK has. We have these big houses and for a long time energy here was cheap so a lot of the houses don't have good insulation and leak a lot of heat. We have gone way overboard and now we will have to make some huge corrections. We have made a lot of improvements in the past 20 years but not enough yet.

And we eat a lot of beans. :D
Clint

Post by Clint »

Diuretic;563094 wrote: My neighbours just said, "thanks" - that's a bit of a worry :o :wah:

:o I had no idea. :o
Clint

Post by Clint »

Adam Zapple;563108 wrote: Since you guys have given up beans, I can now have a doulbe portion without furhter harming the environment. :guitarist

You must be joking. Can't you see how embarassing it is to have the "problem". You must CONVERT!!! :wah:
Clint

Post by Clint »

Diuretic;563357 wrote: Yeah a catalytic converter would work wonders for Adam :D

Have you ever smelled one of those things when it wasn't working right? Rotten eggs.:yh_sick
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Diuretic;563355 wrote: Hang on Adam you have to buy some carbon thingies or whatever it's called :D

As long as I plant a tree and recycle from time to time, I can eat all the beans I want.:D
BTS

Post by BTS »

flopstock;562333 wrote:

But this is not even apples and oranges...:thinking: and no i don't like him...:wah:

So what is it then????
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
BTS

Post by BTS »

Diuretic;562386 wrote: No, I'm fine with a reasonable critique Adam - but this is another propaganda job hopping in to Gore just in case he decides to make a run for the White House.

NOT just a propaganda job

PROOF he is a Hypocrit MAXIMUS
BTS

Post by BTS »

flopstock;562559 wrote: It could have exposed hypocrisy if a little more information had been included, IMO. As it stands -it mostly exposes a waste of time reading it. Love to see some independent information on the subject, however. There could have been a good story here..:thinking:

OK FACTS................

MR Gore uses more juice in ONE month than U do in a YEAR.........

GOT it??>???
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

McCain just announced on the Letterman show he will run for President.

McCain is 70 years old - he has cancer, that Drs can't seem to control.

Would you vote for McCain?

Gore is out as far as I'm concerned - I wouldn't vote for a hypercrit.

Patsy
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Patsy Warnick;564177 wrote: McCain just announced on the Letterman show he will run for President.

Gore is out as far as I'm concerned - I wouldn't vote for a hypercrit.

Patsy

Hmm. What kind of cancer does he have, Patsy?

The only reasons I would not vote for someone with cancer are a) possible imminent death, (depending on type of cancer) leaving us with a possibly worse vice president and b) I see no way anyone could run for or even be president, handling all that stress AND handling the stress and ravages of cancer. I think that is expecting too much of a person.

I think 70 isgenerally too old to run the country.

I won't vote for Gore because I feel he's sneaky and untrustworthy.
BTS

Post by BTS »

Patsy Warnick;564177 wrote: McCain just announced on the Letterman show he will run for President.

Patsy

noooo

never....... He is a Liberal In Disguise...........

WHY do I say this???............

He is MEALY mouthed....... M........fer

Push me 4 facts if u like..................
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Red

McCain has skin cancer - he's had several surgerys on his face, if you'll notice his left side is very swollen. He's 70 years old - I think we need a younger President.

I won't vote for McCain.

I won't vote for Gore

I won't vote for Hilary

Like I said Edwards maybe the shiny penny when all the dust settles.

Patsy
BH672

Post by BH672 »

And some of you thought Gore was nuts!

:D

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”