What's your Main Issue?

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
Accountable

What's your Main Issue?

Post by Accountable »

Do you have a top issue you want the next US president to work on? US citizens, is there an issue or two that will convince you to, or prevent you from, voting for a particular candidate? To help, I pulled this list from www.ontheissues.org

Abortion

Budget & Economy

Civil Rights

Corporations

Crime

Drugs

Education

Energy & Oil

Environment

Families & Children

Foreign Policy

Free Trade

Government Reform

Gun Control

Health Care

Homeland Security

Immigration

Infrastructure & Technology

Jobs

Principles & Values

Social Security

Tax Reform

War & Peace

Welfare & Poverty

My beliefs aren't secrets for anybody that's read here very long. I think almost all domestic issues should be left to the state and local governments, so an "education president" or a "healthcare president" would be a weak candidate in my eyes. Social Security has contributed greatly to destroying the nuclear family in America and self reliability/accountability.

To me, a good candidate would concentrate on homeland security domestically and building international relationships. Shrinking the government would be nice, but when a candidate starts talking about that I just see his nose growing.
along-for-the-ride

What's your Main Issue?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Good points, Accountable. Which brings up the importance of whom we vote for in our local elections as well.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
southern yankee

What's your Main Issue?

Post by southern yankee »

there is sooo many issues that need attention. but as far as i can see. there is not much of choice for our" fearless leader" this will be the first election since the 70's( when i started voting) that all i can do is shrug my sholders and say:confused::confused::-2
spot

What's your Main Issue?

Post by spot »

The US is shockingly vulnerable to combined attack by multiple hostile military powers acting in concert, far more needs spending on procurement than has been the case in recent years to reduce this force imbalance. There's no point spending more on Social Security than on the Department of Defense if the country's wiped out as a result. Switch the budget appropriations immediately between those areas and the change will be budget-neutral. Additional funds beyond that are essential for new military research programs to keep what little edge exists and if possible to extend it.

Homeland Security is woefully underfunded and illegal entry to the US remains possible as a result. The fifth column of millions of residents who are non-citizens without authority to be on US territory needs addressing within months, not years, and the number of people in that position needs reducing to zero.

Everything comes down to money and incentive. Measures need to be taken to increase public consumption of retail goods. Capping the income on which personal taxation is paid would enable those consumers with significant liquidity to devote more on spending than they manage at the moment, I suggest the cap be set at the US median wage. The incentive to work harder and earn above the median would thereby be increased, while the cash available for impulse purchases among the richer half of the country would also go up. Everybody wins.

So, what programs has that touched on from your list?

Budget & Economy

Corporations

Foreign Policy

Homeland Security

Immigration

Principles & Values

Social Security

War & Peace

Welfare & Poverty

If I could gripe slightly, those words "Values" and "Peace" look communist-inspired, they need deleting immediately.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
southern yankee

What's your Main Issue?

i just wish there was a true third party canidate. worth taking a 2nd look at. either choice we have. i am afraid we are going to hell in a handbasket.:confused::mad: i have asked, convince me please who is the better canidate. sadly i am more sadden then before.:o:(:-5
Accountable

What's your Main Issue?

Post by Accountable »

along-for-the-ride;931582 wrote: Good points, Accountable. Which brings up the importance of whom we vote for in our local elections as well.

JAB;931605 wrote: Good point, AFTR. Many times - and I've been guilty of it myself - folks don't vet out the local candidates enough to see if their views are supported. These are the people that have the most impact on the local economy with jobs, taxes, infrastructure, utilities etc. and what my share will be to support it all.

southern yankee;931609 wrote: there is sooo many issues that need attention. but as far as i can see. there is not much of choice for our" fearless leader" this will be the first election since the 70's( when i started voting) that all i can do is shrug my sholders and say:confused::confused::-2
Lots of people neglect their local electors, when those are the guys that you arguably have the most influence over. I'm lumping myself into this pile. :o

As for this election, if you feel, like I do, that voting for either is throwing your vote away, at least let your vote send a signal. Personally I'm voting for Bob Barr.
CARLA

What's your Main Issue?

Post by CARLA »

Boy I wish I had a better feeling about our 2 choices in this election but I don't.:-5

To me except for Homeland Security, Foreign Policy, Free Trade. The rest should be taken care by the State and Local government those are the elected officials that should be working for us. For me our Presidents have just become "Bobble Head Dolls"

[QUOTE]

Abortion

Budget & Economy

Civil Rights

Corporations

Crime

Drugs

Education

Energy & Oil

Environment

Families & Children

Foreign Policy

Free Trade

Government Reform

Gun Control

Health Care

Homeland Security

Immigration (I would love to see something done about this living very close to the mexican border its a big issue here, but the next president won't do a damn thing about it.)

Infrastructure & Technology

Jobs

Principles & Values

Social Security

Tax Reform

War & Peace

Welfare & Poverty[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

What's your Main Issue?

Post by spot »

CARLA;931698 wrote: To me except for Homeland Security, Foreign Policy, Free Trade. The rest should be taken care by the State and Local governmentYou want State and Local government control of the Armed Forces? That's shockingly old-fashioned of you! Where did War & Peace go?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
southern yankee

What's your Main Issue?

CARLA;931698 wrote: Boy I wish I had a better feeling about our 2 choices in this election but I don't.:-5

To me except for Homeland Security, Foreign Policy, Free Trade. The rest should be taken care by the State and Local government those are the elected officials that should be working for us. For me our Presidents have just become "Bobble Head Dolls" you are not the lone ranger here. But i was just in as much dismay over local officials. this is a no win race. who is the less of 2 evils???????????:-1:-2:confused::-5. i feel all these emotions.
CARLA

What's your Main Issue?

Post by CARLA »

I didn't see "Armed Forced" on the list and missed "War and Peace" OK will let the President handle these they do so well at it. :thinking:

[QUOTE]You want State and Local government control of the Armed Forces? That's shockingly old-fashioned of you! Where did War & Peace go?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Accountable

What's your Main Issue?

Post by Accountable »

CARLA;931698 wrote: Boy I wish I had a better feeling about our 2 choices in this election but I don't.:-5

To me except for Homeland Security, Foreign Policy, Free Trade. The rest should be taken care by the State and Local government those are the elected officials that should be working for us. For me our Presidents have just become "Bobble Head Dolls"
I know what you mean, Carla. They should use the Constitution as their job description. If they want to take on more responsibility, write an amendment.
Clint

What's your Main Issue?

Post by Clint »

Accountable;931745 wrote: I know what you mean, Carla. They should use the Constitution as their job description. If they want to take on more responsibility, write an amendment.

:yh_party:yh_worshp I couldn't agree more!
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Clint

What's your Main Issue?

Post by Clint »

I'm sick of the Federal Government, through taxing, taking he ability of State and local government to properly serve. The system now requires local government to go begging to the Feds for money that was generated at the local level. When local government is successful in getting money they get a small percentage of what was originally collected because of the Federal Govt's administrative costs. Local government has to beef up staffs in order to assemble begging documents (grant applications), further depleting local government's ability to function.

LOCAL CONTROL! PLEASE!!!!
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

What's your Main Issue?

Post by Accountable »

Clint;931948 wrote: I'm sick of the Federal Government, through taxing, taking he ability of State and local government to properly serve. The system now requires local government to go begging to the Feds for money that was generated at the local level. When local government is successful in getting money they get a small percentage of what was originally collected because of the Federal Govt's administrative costs. Local government has to beef up staffs in order to assemble begging documents (grant applications), further depleting local government's ability to function.

LOCAL CONTROL! PLEASE!!!!
:yh_clap :yh_dance STANDING O!! :yh_clap :yh_dance

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”