The Edwards affair

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
RedGlitter

The Edwards affair

Post by RedGlitter »

K.Snyder;950676 wrote: What do peoples' personal lives have to do with politics?...

No one would vote for a person to be President, to whom is known they'd do a better job than anyone else, hypothetically speaking, because he had an affair?...

If so I would be appalled...

Um K....you might be appalled then.

You know how i feel about this stuff. I'm surprised because I know how you value character and integrity and infidels lack both. If they can't keep a promise to the most important person in their life, what makes me think they'll keep their word to their country? I judge politicians not just on past accomplishments but on character and integrity, just like I do anyone else.

But we're even because I'm appalled that anyone *wouldn't* care.

ETA: Don't take this personally. I'm just speaking my piece in general, not specifically at you, ok?:)

---------------- Listening to: paul Simon and Garfunkel - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover via FoxyTunes
K.Snyder

The Edwards affair

Post by K.Snyder »

flopstock;950715 wrote: Once again, I agree - so long as that isn't what he is trying to sell me on... do you see what i mean here? If it aint so, just dont' tell me it is... I do not care. But if you go to the trouble to lie to me about this, what else are you not being truthful about..

I'm all for every politician for the rest of eternity telling anyone who asks about their personal life to go uck themselves.. I'm just not interested.. but do not lie about it.

I completely understand...I was more so justifying his lying in this case because of how the voters would punish him for his deeds as opposed to looking at what he has to offer the public by means of propositions to better the society those very same people live in...Yes he lied...But they only lie because they know they'll be judged and his livelihood would be in question...

What we may disagree on is that I can understand why he lied because he knows people weigh his promiscuity as being worse than the betterment of society...Hypothetically speaking...Something I literally cannot fathom...The logic behind this is absolutely resentful by virtue of retribution...What is actually happening is the punishment of those very same people who condemn them...I just cannot begin to fathom how this is desirable to anyone...

It's like shooting yourself in the foot because someone has robbed you...I don't get it...
K.Snyder

The Edwards affair

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;950722 wrote: Um K....you might be appalled then.

You know how i feel about this stuff. I'm surprised because I know how you value character and integrity and infidels lack both. I'd like to clarify that I was speaking in terms of to whom I felt would be the better candidate related to politics...I wouldn't vote for someone because "...he had his videographer bent over the back of a theatre seat..."...I don't find that impressive in the least...I can have my own videographer bent over the back of a theater seat,..only there wouldn't be anyway of hiding it...Everyone in the theater would know I had my videographer bent over the back of a theater seat...I don't think being at a concert would matter much either...:yh_sungla...:wah:...

RedGlitter;950722 wrote:

If they can't keep a promise to the most important person in their life, what makes me think they'll keep their word to their country? I judge politicians not just on past accomplishments but on character and integrity, just like I do anyone else.I'd sincerely like to know which politician you've ever felt has never lied at any time they were in office...

RedGlitter;950722 wrote:

But we're even because I'm appalled that anyone *wouldn't* care.

ETA: Don't take this personally. I'm just speaking my piece in general, not specifically at you, ok? I do care upon instances of people cheating on their wives or lovers...I absolutely do care...I am not however prepared to punish the people for it because I feel voting for someone else, to whom is not as adequately capable of fulfilling the obligations the specific job in question entails, is to the better interests of said peoples...

What's needed is people to not be as judgmental and more technically concerned with societal issues and affairs...
flopstock

The Edwards affair

Post by flopstock »

The whole problem with the entire subject matter is that no one knows what the terms to anyone else's marriage is to begin with:-2

Case in point... Bill Clinton... have at him girls... if he was my husband I wouldn't want him anyways.

The McCains?... are they okay because they ended up getting married after starting to date before he mentioned it to his current wife? Who knows? No One knows what the terms of the previous mccains marriage was. We do know his ex speaks extremely highly of him though... so maybe they ignored the public judgement possibilities while conducting their lives? No ones business. They don't discuss it, denying or confirming... just no ones business but theirs... I like that attitude:-6

that's the way it should be... and unless you lay your head down on the pillow with them at night... you'll never know what they find acceptable about the others behavior.. except what the media drags out..
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

K.Snyder

The Edwards affair

Post by K.Snyder »

flopstock;950741 wrote: The whole problem with the entire subject matter is that no one knows what the terms to anyone else's marriage is to begin with:-2

Case in point... Bill Clinton... have at him girls... if he was my husband I wouldn't want him anyways.

The McCains?... are they okay because they ended up getting married after starting to date before he mentioned it to his current wife? Who knows? No One knows what the terms of the previous mccains marriage was. We do know his ex speaks extremely highly of him though... so maybe they ignored the public judgement possibilities while conducting their lives? No ones business. They don't discuss it, denying or confirming... just no ones business but theirs... I like that attitude:-6

that's the way it should be... and unless you lay your head down on the pillow with them at night... you'll never know what they find acceptable about the others behavior.. except what the media drags out..

I agree...

I'm wondering how any of this has anything to do with their propositions to better this country...

If lying is the primary argument I have to ask how it is those of you who are basing a persons candidacy off of knowing the fact that he's lied believes that other politicians don't lie...At least he's only lying about sex...At least the lies aren't regarding wars and immoral business practices(From which doesn't have to be, by any means, mutually exclusive)...

Where do credentials come into play?...

Would you have voted for Goerge Bush as opposed to Bill Clinton if they were to hypothetically run for President again all because Bill Clinton "cheated" on his wife?...Even if that meant the economy would ensure the well being of poor families in America?...Can we think about the betterment of society before we start throwing stones please?...(Not aimed at you flopstock)...
valerie

The Edwards affair

Post by valerie »

I wish we didn't know about their personal lives so much, but the fact

remains, the media IS going to ferret it out, one way or the other. So

at the very first HINT that this is going to come out, cop to it right

away. I'd give a person much more credit for doing that than just

denying it and later saying you were being "99% honest" that's just

total crap.

I don't think we can "un-ring" the bell and go back to the Kennedy years

when media knew about it and didn't report. I think now we're always

going to have the reports. Whether the majority of the public has

interest in it or not.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

RedGlitter

The Edwards affair

Post by RedGlitter »

Would you have voted for Goerge Bush as opposed to Bill Clinton if they were to hypothetically run for President again all because Bill Clinton "cheated" on his wife?...Even if that meant the economy would ensure the well being of poor families in America?...Can we think about the betterment of society before we start throwing stones please?...

Well, in that way of thinking, where are you proposing we draw the line? People like the mafia too because even though they off people at will, they buy school clothes for poor kids and put food on the tables of those who have none. In their way, they"better" their community so people look away from the bad. Yet they are foul. So should we look away from someone who has lousy ethics? Lousy personal standards? Has no self respect or any for his wife?

I've already echoed Clint in why I feel as I do and I'm not sure I can explain it any better. I don't think it's "just" sex. You know how I feel about that. It's a lot more than "just." And as for what someone else's marriage means to an outside person , Flop has a point except humans tend to judge others by their own standards. This is how it is. My standards say you marry someone, you forgo all others for the duration of the marriage. What? She had brain cancer and couldn't put out? Too fkn bad!! Edwards is a piece of work. A sorryassed sadsack excuse for a man, let alone a human being and I reserve the right to judge anyone, ESPECIALLY some jerk representing me in office.
K.Snyder

The Edwards affair

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;950762 wrote: Well, in that way of thinking, where are you proposing we draw the line? People like the mafia too because even though they off people at will, they buy school clothes for poor kids and put food on the tables of those who have none. In their way, they"better" their community so people look away from the bad. Yet they are foul. So should we look away from someone who has lousy ethics? Lousy personal standards? Has no self respect or any for his wife? I wouldn't begin to compare cheating on someone to be even remotely close to murdering them but if you do that's completely your prerogative...The point is, is that sex has nothing to do with politics...At least not that I'm aware of...And if so we have some extremely incompetent politicians...

I wouldn't begin to not care of what mafias do because they routinely give to the poor, which is nothing more than a plea to better their image so as to escape persecution...Edwards might be good but he's not that good...

RedGlitter;950762 wrote:

I've already echoed Clint in why I feel as I do and I'm not sure I can explain it any better. I don't think it's "just" sex. You know how I feel about that. It's a lot more than "just." And as for what someone else's marriage means to an outside person , Flop has a point except humans tend to judge others by their own standards. This is how it is. My standards say you marry someone, you forgo all others for the duration of the marriage. What? She had brain cancer and couldn't put out? Too fkn bad!! Edwards is a piece of work. A sorryassed sadsack excuse for a man, let alone a human being and I reserve the right to judge anyone, ESPECIALLY some jerk representing me in office. I don't see why you'd subject the public to an inferior political addendum all because you don't want to see the guy who cheated on his wife win office...He's not representing you on marriage counseling...
RedGlitter

The Edwards affair

Post by RedGlitter »

He's not representing you on marriage counseling...

Same way I wouldn't willingly put a drunk in office. Or a crackhead. Or fill in the blank. These people represent you and me. That's their job. They might all do a good job! But to me it means more than ability. I wouldn't put a known crapbag in office knowing he (or she) had such sh*tty standards. I expect integrity and class *and* ability.
K.Snyder

The Edwards affair

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;950803 wrote: Same way I wouldn't willingly put a drunk in office. Or a crackhead. Or fill in the blank. These people represent you and me. That's their job. They might all do a good job! But to me it means more than ability. I wouldn't put a known crapbag in office knowing he (or she) had such sh*tty standards. I expect integrity and class *and* ability.

Yes but hypothetically speaking if they could do a better job in ensuring the well being of it's citizens how could you be against that regardless of who they were?...
RedGlitter

The Edwards affair

Post by RedGlitter »

K.Snyder;950809 wrote: Yes but hypothetically speaking if they could do a better job in ensuring the well being of it's citizens how could you be against that regardless of who they were?...

Because backbone rates higher with me than a string of stellar accomplishments. I realize that makes me different from most people but it's what I look for. In short, Edwards's sorryassed conduct makes him a loser. I don't do losers. ---------------- Listening to: Melanie - Lay Down (Candles In The Rain) via FoxyTunes
Accountable

The Edwards affair

Post by Accountable »

It's sad that our young adults have so lost their sense of morality and ethics that things such as this have to be explained.

If a politician holds secrets that could destroy his/her political career, someone could use that information to blackmail and manipulate the politician to do things that are to the "betterment" of the blackmailer rather than the country.

If a politician lies about the very thing he/she publicly holds up as his/her top personal value, there is no way to judge whether anything else he/she says is true. Therefore, you can't possibly reliably judge whether the politician can or will do anything toward the well-being of the citizens.

Snidely Whiplash

The Edwards affair

Post by Snidely Whiplash »

To me it's only about watching a worm squirm.....

Everybody knows Con Edwards is a psychopathic lier and nothing he tells anyone in the media is true.... It's all a bunch of nonsense... Theres already people conected to the main charactors who are telling the media he already lied about the times and dates in his confession last weekend he did on TV... It's all lies... The man is a slip and fall lawyer, why would anyone expect anything else..??? I don't get it..??

I think it's funny... Hahahaha, the best part is imagining Con-Ed running down the hall of a hotel at 3:00am with the National Enquiorer after him, and him hiding in a public bathroom stall..!!!!! Hehehehe...!!! PRICELESS..!!! I LOVE IT...!!!!! :guitarist:guitarist
Nomad

The Edwards affair

Post by Nomad »

Snidely Whiplash;951928 wrote: To me it's only about watching a worm squirm.....

Everybody knows Con Edwards is a psychopathic lier and nothing he tells anyone in the media is true.... It's all a bunch of nonsense... Theres already people conected to the main charactors who are telling the media he already lied about the times and dates in his confession last weekend he did on TV... It's all lies... The man is a slip and fall lawyer, why would anyone expect anything else..??? I don't get it..??

I think it's funny... Hahahaha, the best part is imagining Con-Ed running down the hall of a hotel at 3:00am with the National Enquiorer after him, and him hiding in a public bathroom stall..!!!!! Hehehehe...!!! PRICELESS..!!! I LOVE IT...!!!!! :guitarist:guitarist

If truth be known reading your posts is like reading the National Enquirer.

HAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I AM AWESOME MAN
Snidely Whiplash

The Edwards affair

Post by Snidely Whiplash »

Nomad;953324 wrote: If truth be known reading your posts is like reading the National Enquirer.

HAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well it appears that the national enquirer broke this big story, and is proving it's self to be a step ahead of the liberal mainstream media in every respect, so I guess you're complimenting me......???

Thanks very much...!!!!! :guitarist:)

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”