What's the Attraction?

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

What's the Attraction?

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

Looking beyond the eloquence, considering that nothing will change in the way Congress or the bureaucracy operates, considering that there is no quick or easy solution to Iraq or Afghanistan, observing that his running mate is a Washington insider, looking at an economy that is in a downward cycle and will take time to fix regardless of who tries, considering his documented lack of specific action on any issue, what is the attraction to Senator Obama?

Looking beyond his age, considering his running mate is a relatively inexperienced politician and with no Washington experience, considering his past experience as a Washington insider, his seeming willingness to take an independent route, considering that nothing will change in the way Congress or the bureaucracy operates, looking at an economy that is in a downward cycle and will take time to fix regardless of who tries, considering that there is no quick or easy solution to Iraq or Afghanistan, what is the attraction to Senator McCain?

Does it all come down to positions on taxes, health care, abortion or big(er) government versus (marginally) less government?

And isn’t it curious that both candidates have ideas to solve our problems, but while in the Senate they did not introduce any legislation to solve the problems like health care, Medicare, Social Security or the growing deficit, isn’t it curious, doesn’t it make you mad?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
Lon

What's the Attraction?

Post by Lon »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;976286 wrote: Looking beyond the eloquence, considering that nothing will change in the way Congress or the bureaucracy operates, considering that there is no quick or easy solution to Iraq or Afghanistan, observing that his running mate is a Washington insider, looking at an economy that is in a downward cycle and will take time to fix regardless of who tries, considering his documented lack of specific action on any issue, what is the attraction to Senator Obama?

Looking beyond his age, considering his running mate is a relatively inexperienced politician and with no Washington experience, considering his past experience as a Washington insider, his seeming willingness to take an independent route, considering that nothing will change in the way Congress or the bureaucracy operates, looking at an economy that is in a downward cycle and will take time to fix regardless of who tries, considering that there is no quick or easy solution to Iraq or Afghanistan, what is the attraction to Senator McCain?

Does it all come down to positions on taxes, health care, abortion or big(er) government versus (marginally) less government?

And isn’t it curious that both candidates have ideas to solve our problems, but while in the Senate they did not introduce any legislation to solve the problems like health care, Medicare, Social Security or the growing deficit, isn’t it curious, doesn’t it make you mad?

I am convinced that the attraction that most voters have to a particular candidate has nothing to do with platform, reform or anything of a substantive nature. I think it has more to do with stage presence and the personality of the candidate. Look at all the past presidential elections in our lifetime. I think people like to say that they voted for so and so because he's for the working man or he's going to cut taxes etc., but really votes for the guy or gal whose personality he or she likes.

McCain gave a very sincere closing speech and people will vote for him solely because of his sincerity. Obama comes across like a good salesman and people will vote for him more for his ability with words and his very comfortable stage presence.
yaaarrrgg

What's the Attraction?

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Personally, I think the guy is brilliant. He's a good speaker, because he is smart. Like Bill Clinton.
Lon

What's the Attraction?

Post by Lon »

yaaarrrgg;976450 wrote: Personally, I think the guy is brilliant. He's a good speaker, because he is smart. Like Bill Clinton.

You have made my point.
Snidely Whiplash

What's the Attraction?

Post by Snidely Whiplash »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;976286 wrote: Looking beyond the eloquence, considering that nothing will change in the way Congress or the bureaucracy operates, considering that there is no quick or easy solution to Iraq or Afghanistan, observing that his running mate is a Washington insider, looking at an economy that is in a downward cycle and will take time to fix regardless of who tries, considering his documented lack of specific action on any issue, what is the attraction to Senator Obama?

I like your topics, or most of them, but this one is dopey and lacks acuracy or facts....

You sometimes post things just to stir up the sh** as it were, and I hope everyone see's through that.....

The truth of the matter is, and always has been, that we are victorious in Iraq, and giving over the various provinces back to Iraqi forces, and will see certain victory in 2008... http://www.singularity2050.com/2007/09/ ... -iraq.html

This victory in Iraq, would not have happened with Obama/Biden in the whitehouse, no way, no how, America would be surrendering to Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, and we would be coming home as a military power in shame...... And whats worst is that the enemy would be emboldened and re energised, and on the attack more than ever....

Obama / Biden have no capacity to keep America safe, they have voted not to keep America safe over and over, and have proven themselves as failures time and time again when it comes to these decisions.....

And as for Sarah Palin........ Most of our past Presidents have come from a governor position, few, only 2 have come from the Senate....... Of ALL the past Presidents that came from Governors, Sarah Palin has the "highest" approval rating of any of them..... Sarah Palin has an unheard of 80-85% approval rating in her state, which is the Highest of any governor in any state in America.......!!!!

As far as state exectives go, Sarah Palin is the best of the best of the best of the best....!!! Something Obama and Biden can dream about at night, but will never achieve in they're lifetime, if you logically look at Obama and his past, his judgment and associations...... As well as Bidens some 30+ years in the senate with little if anything to show for it, and certainly NO experience in the real world, having a real job, of any executive importance to anyone......

:)
yaaarrrgg

What's the Attraction?

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Lon;976481 wrote: You have made my point.

Intelligence and personality are two different things.
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

What's the Attraction?

Lon;976415 wrote: I am convinced that the attraction that most voters have to a particular candidate has nothing to do with platform, reform or anything of a substantive nature. I think it has more to do with stage presence and the personality of the candidate. Look at all the past presidential elections in our lifetime. I think people like to say that they voted for so and so because he's for the working man or he's going to cut taxes etc., but really votes for the guy or gal whose personality he or she likes.

McCain gave a very sincere closing speech and people will vote for him solely because of his sincerity. Obama comes across like a good salesman and people will vote for him more for his ability with words and his very comfortable stage presence.

Sadly, I think there is much truth in what you say. The average Ameerican, no the majority of Americans vote this way and are uninformed, cannot think strategicaly or with a long term view, but that is nothing new and we seem to have muddled through for a lot of years.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

What's the Attraction?

I like your topics, or most of them, but this one is dopey and lacks acuracy or facts....

It wasn't intended to contain facts, I was looking to see what facts others used to make their decision and as far as accurary goes, in this instance it is in the eye of the beholder.

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

What's the Attraction?

yaaarrrgg;976450 wrote: Personally, I think the guy is brilliant. He's a good speaker, because he is smart. Like Bill Clinton.

Did you ever see a good actor in action, do you think all actors are brilliant?

You can also be brilliant and not use that intelligence effectively.

For example, assume a Senator positions himself to achieve personal gain, power and status and yet he does not use his skills to craft legislation to solve real problems, does not take a leadership position, does not break with the party line if it is the right thing to do, such a person could be very brilliant indeed, but so what? :thinking:

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
Snidely Whiplash

What's the Attraction?

Post by Snidely Whiplash »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;976725 wrote: It wasn't intended to contain facts, I was looking to see what facts others used to make their decision and as far as accurary goes, in this instance it is in the eye of the beholder.

Huhhh..? Your Topic doesn't have to contain facts....? Thats BS..... Go post in the poetry forum then, but when you post this type of topic in a politics forum, it should be accurate so those who read it will respond to the facts, not just the nonsense........

But whatever, keep up the topics, few others here seem to want to.....! You're okay...

Just stay away from that Russian vodka, it'll make you see double....... Lol :wah:
sunny104

What's the Attraction?

Post by sunny104 »

Lon;976415 wrote: I am convinced that the attraction that most voters have to a particular candidate has nothing to do with platform, reform or anything of a substantive nature. I think it has more to do with stage presence and the personality of the candidate. Look at all the past presidential elections in our lifetime. I think people like to say that they voted for so and so because he's for the working man or he's going to cut taxes etc., but really votes for the guy or gal whose personality he or she likes.

for me, I guess it's a bit of both. That's why I voted for Kinky. :D

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”