The Obama Promise

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

The Obama Promise

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

I am listening to Obama live on the campaign trail and as usual he is ranting about lobbyists and the fact he is taking no money and will not be influenced as President. Sounds great, the crowd is cheering wildly. Too bad it is the Congress that is targeted by lobbyists and who take the money and who draft and approve legislation.

He just said he will cut taxes for 95% of all workers, he will reform health care and all other necessary things, but he will not add to the deficit as he subsidizes auto companies. If you have health care you will see your premiums lowered but there will be no exclusions for the people who can be covered like those with pre-existing conditions so the highest cost people will be covered. Good idea, but the rest of the story is that covering those people will raise premiums. He is going to pay teachers more and "guarantee" that every young person can afford to go to college.

He has promised every possible person what they want to hear...and the very sad part is they appear to actually believe it. :(:(:(:(:(

I am sure McCain is no different, just a different angle.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
Galbally

The Obama Promise

Post by Galbally »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1003970 wrote: I am listening to Obama live on the campaign trail and as usual he is ranting about lobbyists and the fact he is taking no money and will not be influenced as President. Sounds great, the crowd is cheering wildly. Too bad it is the Congress that is targeted by lobbyists and who take the money and who draft and approve legislation.

He just said he will cut taxes for 95% of all workers, he will reform health care and all other necessary things, but he will not add to the deficit as he subsidizes auto companies. If you have health care you will see your premiums lowered but there will be no exclusions for the people who can be covered like those with pre-existing conditions so the highest cost people will be covered. Good idea, but the rest of the story is that covering those people will raise premiums. He is going to pay teachers more and "guarantee" that every young person can afford to go to college.

He has promised every possible person what they want to hear...and the very sad part is they appear to actually believe it. :(:(:(:(:(

Its not surprising that any message that doesn't come out of the Bush Administration is going to be well recieved by people longing to get out of the mess they feel their country is in. I think that either man is going to have extreme difficulty getting over Bush's legacy of a ruinous, politcially devisive, and extremely expenisve war; a real collapse in American influence and diplomacy across the world; total denial about the climatic catastrophe that is unfolding in front of us; a completely devastated financial system; an economy in recession (at least); a massive budget deficit; enourmous national debt; a now furious population; and a weakened political establishment. Also its unlikely that either could be much worse than what you already have, so anything has got to be better than where you are now.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

The Obama Promise

Galbally;1004001 wrote: Its not surprising that any message that doesn't come out of the Bush Administration is going to be well recieved by people longing to get out of the mess they feel their country is in. I think that either man is going to have extreme difficulty getting over Bush's legacy of a ruinous, politcially devisive, and extremely expenisve war; a real collapse in American influence and diplomacy across the world; total denial about the climatic catastrophe that is unfolding in front of us; a completely devastated financial system; an economy in recession (at least); a massive budget deficit; enourmous national debt; a now furious population; and a weakened political establishment. Also its unlikely that either could be much worse than what you already have, so anything has got to be better than where you are now.

You summed it up quite nicely. I voted for Bush twice, I am of a conservative mind set, but I have to say, Bush is quite likely the worst president in the history of this country (and that's saying something). His legacy is going to affect my chidlren and my grandchildren and that pisses me off beyond words.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
yaaarrrgg

The Obama Promise

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Quinn, I agree .... realistically speaking half the effort of our country for the next 20 years or so will be in undoing the mess that Bush has left us.

Although it's sad if Obama's goals are just be pie-in-the sky promises. Since the bar was set so low, he was merely trying to be competitive with what other countries have already accomplished. He's not proposing breaking any new ground.

IMO our country has sunk into a state of learned helplessness, where the electorate no longer sees itself as the government. Rather we see the government as something external to ourselves. But we are the ones hiring members of Congress. They are the ones that work for us, not vice versa. What needs to happen is that rather than being pitted against each other, voters need to unite against politicians. :)
Accountable

The Obama Promise

Post by Accountable »

yaaarrrgg;1004510 wrote: Quinn, I agree .... realistically speaking half the effort of our country for the next 20 years or so will be in undoing the mess that Bush has left us.

Although it's sad if Obama's goals are just be pie-in-the sky promises. Since the bar was set so low, he was merely trying to be competitive with what other countries have already accomplished. He's not proposing breaking any new ground.

IMO our country has sunk into a state of learned helplessness, where the electorate no longer sees itself as the government. Rather we see the government as something external to ourselves. But we are the ones hiring members of Congress. They are the ones that work for us, not vice versa. What needs to happen is that rather than being pitted against each other, voters need to unite against politicians. :)
It happened for this stupid bailout. Maybe it'll start a trend. :)
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

The Obama Promise

yaaarrrgg;1004510 wrote: Quinn, I agree .... realistically speaking half the effort of our country for the next 20 years or so will be in undoing the mess that Bush has left us.

While I have posted to the effect Bush was likely of worst President, I can't agree that Bush alone has left us the mess we are in. The American people bare at least a substantial part of the responsibility as does Congress. Congress passed laws that were designed to increase the number of people who owned a home and the markets responded, especially Fanny and Freddy

Whomever is the next President will be able to do very little regardless of what is promised, there simply is no money and raising taxes will only extend the problem. Like it or not the people who are likely to see their taxes raised are the people who help drive the economy and create jobs.

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
Oscar Namechange

The Obama Promise

Post by Oscar Namechange »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1003970 wrote: I am listening to Obama live on the campaign trail and as usual he is ranting about lobbyists and the fact he is taking no money and will not be influenced as President. Sounds great, the crowd is cheering wildly. Too bad it is the Congress that is targeted by lobbyists and who take the money and who draft and approve legislation.

I hope to god the American people are not as dumb as to believe this New Messiah bullshit?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

The Obama Promise

oscar;1015603 wrote: I hope to god the American people are not as dumb as to believe this New Messiah bullshit?

Oh yes they are.

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
yaaarrrgg

The Obama Promise

Post by yaaarrrgg »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1015643 wrote: Oh yes they are.

Americans are smarter than you think.
qsducks

The Obama Promise

Post by qsducks »

yaaarrrgg;1015764 wrote: Americans are smarter than you think.

Agreed yaaarrgg. People need to inform themselves on the issues that matter most and not the junk, and that means actually reading the papers, the internet, etc. And I'm not talking about the junk stuff. The real issues that are on people's minds in this election. I really believe that McLamo is grasping for straws by bringing up some crap years ago over Obama serving on a board with (can't think of his name, what does that tell you?) this guy. Oh, I forgot, McLamo is now calling for "Honesty". Mmmm............
BTS

The Obama Promise

Post by BTS »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Re: The Obama Promise

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscar

I hope to god the American people are not as dumb as to believe this New Messiah bullshit?

Oh yes they are.

yaaarrrgg

Re: The Obama Promise

Quote:

Originally Posted by QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Oh yes they are.

yaaarrrgg;1015764 wrote: Americans are smarter than you think.

You bit..............Didn't you?
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
yaaarrrgg

The Obama Promise

Post by yaaarrrgg »

BTS;1015826 wrote: You bit..............Didn't you?

I typically don't like when non-Americans insult Americans.

Or when people see themselves as morally or intellectually superior solely because other people have a different point of view.
Oscar Namechange

The Obama Promise

Post by Oscar Namechange »

yaaarrrgg;1016045 wrote: I typically don't like when non-Americans insult Americans.

Or when people see themselves as morally or intellectually superior solely because other people have a different point of view.

I apologise if you feel us British have insulted Americans.

If you look at other threads, you will see that i for one defend America even against my own countrymen at times.

Who-ever gets in, it will affect Britain. Why do you think our Prime Minister was the first world leader to fly to America offering another bailout package to Bush for your people?

The critics in this country slated our Prime Minister for offering more money from the Uk to America for bailout when our own country is in the grip of economic crisis.

Now, the Prime Minister of Great Britain, has finally got tough.

He has just in effect, bankrupted Iceland.

I predicted to another poster on another thread that Gordon Brown was not a man to be ****** with. It looks like this is coming true.

After Iceland owed the world £35 billion, Gordon Brown used anti-terrorism laws and froze Icelands assets.

Iceland started throwing their toys out of the pram and told Britain that they are looking for "New Friends". This is direct implecation to Russia.

If Gordon Brown were of Obama's making, he would have said "There there Iceland, don't you go worrying about that £35 billion you owe, infact, here's some more UK money".

I have despaired of the Blair/Brown government but there's no doubt in my mind that if Obama were in Gordon Brown's shoe's, he would have backed down wanting to please everyone.

I am ecstatic that Gordon Brown has got tough.

If you had a candidate that put his own people first as Gordon Brown has in this instance, the world would have no fear of Obama getting in.

Gordon Brown has had 10 years in charge of the money as Chancellor of the Exchequer under the Blair government before taking over as Prime Minister.

If Obama gets in, he will have to seek Gordon Brown's experience.

Gordon Brown is experienced enough to run rings around Obama. you'd then have British government that ruled your President's decision making instead of working with him.

All we see in Britain with Obama is a deluded fool full of posturing and posing.

Laughable.

Let Gordon Brown's latest action against Iceland be a warning. Put your own people first.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”