Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
yaaarrrgg
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Well, unsurprisingly, the final report has come through, and shows what most everyone with two working eyeballs could see. Palin abused her power trying to carry out a personal vendetta against her sister's ex husband. Big surprise there.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/palin_troopergate

My thought is first ... so what? Why did she lie about this all? She would have been smarter to have just admitted to it early on and chalk it up to ignorance. She's obviously ignorant about laws, so most people would probably understand.

But never worry... Palin released her own report that clears herself of any wrong doing. I didn't know you could do that, due to, well, an obvious conflict of interest. But nevertheless, the make-your-own-reality anti-intellectual conspiracy theorists can choose to read something more pleasant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081010/ap_ ... pergate_24

Interesting though the overlap with the Bush doctrine ... the original one before 9/11. They believed they could "create their own reality" by saying something long enough. Feeding something to the media, then repeating it as fact. I think that only works with about 30% of the population though.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by qsducks »

Cool, now Obama/Biden can come after that winky, cheerleader, annoying b*tch. Just made my day.:)
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by qsducks »

I just read the Palin's report and that Todd has never pressured his wife crap. Umm, yeah, he did tell her to get on a plane from Texas and go do your other speach in Seattle and then come home to give birth. She was already in labor at that time. Some pressure? Yeah, big time.
User avatar
Omni_Skittles
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:10 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Omni_Skittles »

wow... this is kind of pointless...
Smoke signals ftw!
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by qsducks »

Omni_Skittles;1015786 wrote: wow... this is kind of pointless...


Pointless? Oh yeah, she abused her powers. Ok.
User avatar
BTS
Posts: 3202
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:47 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by BTS »

The inquiry looked into her dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, who said he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce and custody battle with the governor's sister. Palin says Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute.

Monegan's firing was lawful, the report found, but Palin let the family grudge influence her decision-making — even if it was not the sole reason Monegan was dismissed.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Accountable »

Omni_Skittles;1015786 wrote: wow... this is kind of pointless...
Yes it is. Watch and learn, Skittles. You'll see it over and over again at work and in politics, but especially in politics. People who have made up their minds one way or the other go about finding any shred of evidence to prove they are right, ignoring or discounting any evidence to the contrary. They put their blinders on and away they go in opposite directions:


See? She abused her power as governor. That PROVES that she's just like bush and will nuke Iran without provocation so her oil cronies can make billions!

See? The firing was lawful. All this talk about pressure is total lies made up because she's pretty. She should be sainted for doing the right thing.

The real ugliness is when people start letting their emotions further fog their vision, such as when people who used to list valid disagreements with her policy and opinions start calling her names like winky, cheerleader, annoying b*tch.



Remember this when you see it again, and don't let yourself get sucked into the hype - of either side.
User avatar
along-for-the-ride
Posts: 11732
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:28 pm

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Your post deserves a re-read, Accountable. It is a true observation.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
User avatar
flopstock
Posts: 7406
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:52 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by flopstock »

Couple of questions from the back row....



Trooper Wooten



Was he fired? By anyone? Or did this investigation spring up immediately after Monegan's dismissal and so nothing has been done on that item? Or was he fired by the next folks in?:thinking:



Wasn't this investigation started before she joined the ticket? That would mean that this can not be set aside as simply a dastardly obama camp strategic campaign move. Alaska was interested when she was simply a gov, correct?



And doesn't every politician being investigated claim it is politically motivated?



I'm more interested in the financial issues and issues of war and peace. But, knock off the politics of reform already... there just is no such political animal - except paul..:sneaky:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

yaaarrrgg
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by yaaarrrgg »

BTS;1015824 wrote: The inquiry looked into her dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, who said he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce and custody battle with the governor's sister. Palin says Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute.

Monegan's firing was lawful, the report found, but Palin let the family grudge influence her decision-making — even if it was not the sole reason Monegan was dismissed.


He wasn't fired ... he resigned. Because of the abuse of power.
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1016029 wrote: Couple of questions from the back row....



Trooper Wooten



Was he fired? By anyone? Or did this investigation spring up immediately after Monegan's dismissal and so nothing has been done on that item? Or was he fired by the next folks in?:thinking:



Wasn't this investigation started before she joined the ticket? That would mean that this can not be set aside as simply a dastardly obama camp strategic campaign move. Alaska was interested when she was simply a gov, correct?



And doesn't every politician being investigated claim it is politically motivated?



I'm more interested in the financial issues and issues of war and peace. But, knock off the politics of reform already... there just is no such political animal - except paul..:sneaky:
From my flawed memory:

No, he wasn't fired & still works, to my knowledge.

Yes. Yes.

Yes

Yes, I agree. :-6
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Accountable »

along-for-the-ride;1016000 wrote: Your post deserves a re-read, Accountable. It is a true observation.
Thanks! :-6
User avatar
QUINNSCOMMENTARY
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:56 pm

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

yaaarrrgg;1015779 wrote: Well, unsurprisingly, the final report has come through, and shows what most everyone with two working eyeballs could see. Palin abused her power trying to carry out a personal vendetta against her sister's ex husband. Big surprise there.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/palin_troopergate

My thought is first ... so what? Why did she lie about this all? She would have been smarter to have just admitted to it early on and chalk it up to ignorance. She's obviously ignorant about laws, so most people would probably understand.

But never worry... Palin released her own report that clears herself of any wrong doing. I didn't know you could do that, due to, well, an obvious conflict of interest. But nevertheless, the make-your-own-reality anti-intellectual conspiracy theorists can choose to read something more pleasant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081010/ap_ ... pergate_24

Interesting though the overlap with the Bush doctrine ... the original one before 9/11. They believed they could "create their own reality" by saying something long enough. Feeding something to the media, then repeating it as fact. I think that only works with about 30% of the population though.


With so much to worry about these days, who really cares, every politician uses their power and influence that's why they keep running for re-election so they have the power to use (or abuse depending on your point of view). I use my power and influence every day at work, who doesn't when they can?

The real issue is that it is getting harder to differentiate between the real Palin and the one on SNL.:-5

PS Has anyone visited my Blog on FG?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw



"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton



Quinnscommentary



Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)



Quinnscommentary Blog
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Accountable »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1016541 wrote: With so much to worry about these days, who really cares, every politician uses their power and influence that's why they keep running for re-election so they have the power to use (or abuse depending on your point of view). I use my power and influence every day at work, [...]Do you use it for personal unethical gain? That's what she's accused of.
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;1015956 wrote: Yes it is. Watch and learn, Skittles. You'll see it over and over again at work and in politics, but especially in politics. People who have made up their minds one way or the other go about finding any shred of evidence to prove they are right, ignoring or discounting any evidence to the contrary. They put their blinders on and away they go in opposite directions:


See? She abused her power as governor. That PROVES that she's just like bush and will nuke Iran without provocation so her oil cronies can make billions!

See? The firing was lawful. All this talk about pressure is total lies made up because she's pretty. She should be sainted for doing the right thing.

The real ugliness is when people start letting their emotions further fog their vision, such as when people who used to list valid disagreements with her policy and opinions start calling her names like winky, cheerleader, annoying b*tch.



Remember this when you see it again, and don't let yourself get sucked into the hype - of either side.




Wait a second acc....why is breaking public trust a pointless subject ?

Im not suggesting shes the boogy man for doing a human thing but its certainly worth the mention.

Was the inquiry itself pointless ?

Where do you draw the line ?

Id be asking the same questions no matter who it was because it speaks to character.
I AM AWESOME MAN
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by qsducks »

Nomad;1016869 wrote: Wait a second acc....why is breaking public trust a pointless subject ?

Im not suggesting shes the boogy man for doing a human thing but its certainly worth the mention.

Was the inquiry itself pointless ?

Where do you draw the line ?

Id be asking the same questions no matter who it was because it speaks to character.


And she has the gall to run around this country calling Obama not an honest man. Jeeze:mad:
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;1016869 wrote: Wait a second acc....why is breaking public trust a pointless subject ?

Im not suggesting shes the boogy man for doing a human thing but its certainly worth the mention.

Was the inquiry itself pointless ?

Where do you draw the line ?

Id be asking the same questions no matter who it was because it speaks to character.
Ya'll make it sound like "Gee, I'd really like to vote for McCain, but for that VP pick."



My bro Nomad, you're the only one I know of who gave positive reasons why we should vote for Obama. Virtually all the rest from everyone else has been reasons to vote against Palin. Not McCain; Palin.
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Nomad »

[quote=Accountable;1016906]Ya'll make it sound like "Gee, I'd really like to vote for McCain, but for that VP pick."



Its not that. We have a right to know what were getting. I could see past the incident, its not a deal breaker but after hopping on board the McCain train the way they tucked her away was nothing short of hiding in order to protect McCain.

Id have admired her if shed been forth right.

Sneaking around reeks of Bush tactics and it lacks character.

She can call herself a maverick but only when it suits her.

No malice here but the whole thing has a stink on it.
I AM AWESOME MAN
yaaarrrgg
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by yaaarrrgg »

The bad thing about Palin, is this report shows a stitch in bad pattern.

She systematically gets rid of people that raise ethical or legal objections to her ideas. For example in the book banning case, she fired the librarian (before public outcry forced her to rehire her... eventually she resigned). After the Librarian raised the objection that Palin's suggested action was unconstitutional.

In Monegan's case, she offered him another job, because he was supposedly doing such a bad job. That makes sense. Note the person that replaced Monegan was also under investigation for abuse of power.

The person at the top sets the tone for the administration.

My understanding is that executive and police agencies operate separately (or are supposed to) to distribute powers. When someone has the power to ruin your life, just because you break up with their relative, it's too much power and corrupting. When people say ... "so what .. she used the police as a political arm" ... it's a lot like when people said "so what ... politicians need to spy on us to keep us safe." Or "so what if judges are hired based on their political affiliations." The conflict of interest and centralization of power is of course corrupting.

If she just acknowledged the mistake, apologized, and moved on, I really wouldn't hold it against her. After all she is a political amateur, and has lots to learn. When McCain was at the same point in his career he made even worse mistakes. But she is defiant, and creating an alternate reality of events. I'm seriously concerned she's a nutter with a persecution complex. If she is not lying ... and seriously believes her own story.

I think Lincoln summed it up best when he said if you want to see a person's character, give them power.
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Accountable »

Point taken, but you've mischaracterized the cop situation (and the librarian one as well, but I'd have to read more on it & don't have time). It wasn't a case of a simple breakup. The cop was abusive and made threats.

It doesn't alter your point, but you shouldn't make light of it.
Daniyal
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:56 pm

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Daniyal »

AOL / Wire Services

posted: 3 HOURS 29 MINUTES AGOcomments: 2210filed under: National News, Political NewsPrintShareText SizeAAA(April 6) -- In an interview set to air Monday on the 'Tyra Banks Show,' Levi Johnston, the father of Bristol Palin's infant son, described some tension with Alaska's first family.

He told Banks that his former fiancee lets him visit but won't let him take the baby out, and that Bristol's mother, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, probably knew the teenage couple were having sex. "Moms are pretty smart," he told Banks.



Levi Johnston Breaks His Silence | The Tyra Banks Show

For the first time, Levi Johnston, the former fiancé of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol, breaks his silence and sits down exclusively with the "Tyra Show."

Levi talks about his relationship with Bristol, what it was like to be thrust into the spotlight at the Republican National Convention, and why his engagement with Bristol Palin ended. Levi shares intimate details about his relationship with Bristol, what he really thinks of Gov. Palin and what it's like to be a teen father.

Find out if Sarah Palin knew Levi and Bristol were sexually active and what he has to say about practicing safe sex.

Tune in to the "Tyra Show" on Monday, April 6th for the full interview with Levi and his mother and sister.



AOL NEWS
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.



When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down





To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .



It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble



When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Richard Bell
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:56 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by Richard Bell »

Daniyal;1170752 wrote:



Find out if Sarah Palin knew Levi and Bristol were sexually active and what he has to say about practicing safe sex.




In retrospect, Levi shoulda kept his jeans on.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Palin abused power in firing, Alaska panel finds

Post by qsducks »

Richard Bell;1171025 wrote: In retrospect, Levi shoulda kept his jeans on.


Why did Sarah Palin have Levi living in her house?:thinking:

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”