The 11th hour

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies. In another forum a poster said 'Just think if all goes the way it should black kids will for the first time in history see a black presidents picture on the wall in their classrooms.

I ask her if she had voted for color of skin or because she felt he was the better of the 2 choices to lead our nation and make right and just desisions for our citizens and the nation ? she said ' "I voted for the color of his skin"

The ramifications of this is just to sad . All the years and tears and pain of racism that this nation has been through is all meaningless and for nothing . I don't mean to sound like I believe Mc caain is a better choice.

because this post is not about the voters voting for the best choice ,this post is about voters that voted the way they did for the wrong reasons. If people were angry and concerned 50 years ago about what affect social conditions of that time had on the children both white and black. Just what affect will this have on the children of today? I don't know any more than the next American does who will be in the white hpuse for the next 4 to 8 years at this moment, and like all Americans hope with all I have that who ever it is will do his best for our nation and our citizens.
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

You've a country that's never once put up a black democrat or republican candidate for president before, a country that's bludgeoned people for centuries on the sole basis of race, finally for the first time ever this underclass can express solidarity and look forward to a small measure of vindication and you say oh no, don't do that, elections aren't about race, play fair?

You have to be kidding.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

spot;1045968 wrote: You've a country that's never once put up a black democrat or republican candidate for president before, a country that's bludgeoned people for centuries on the sole basis of race, finally for the first time ever this underclass can express solidarity and look forward to a small measure of vindication and you say oh no, don't do that, elections aren't about race, play fair?



You have to be kidding.








I don't mean to sound like I believe Mc caain is a better choice.

because this post is not about the voters voting for the best choice ,this post is about voters that voted the way they did for the wrong reasons.






If that black woman in that other forum had not said skin color was the only reason for voteing the way she did I never would have thuoght of this, and I posted it before the polls closed so it can not be said I am just angry that 'my guy did not win
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

in the thread i am talking about this woman stated that it was just so many years ago that blacks were not allowed the vote. and it came up that it was not very many years before that , that a female no matter what her color was not allowed to vote



How would you feel if 'vindication ' became the leader of your country?
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

The USA has a lot to answer for when it comes to some of our citizens and the treatment of those citizens .



but your country has a lot to answer for to just about every country that is in Europe and the surrounding areas so lets keep this in propective huh ?
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

It's what we've got at the moment, a generation that can't stomach the loadsamoney free-for-all of Margaret Thatcher. Detestation of that woman counts for at least fifty government seats each time we have an election.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

scholle-kid;1046021 wrote: but your country has a lot to answer for to just about every country that is in Europe and the surrounding areas so lets keep this in propective huh ?


I beg your pardon?

Who stopped Napoleon from uniting Europe in 1810?

What part of Europe has any reason to do anything but thank Great Britain for its many services?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

the Irish, The Scottish, Africa's natural resources (daimond mines) , the Aussie's, there are so many countries that have felt the 'benefits of Great Britain services.
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
LilacDragon
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:23 am

The 11th hour

Post by LilacDragon »

As I sit here and listen to the news reports, I just want to cry. As a white American, if I said that I voted for a candidate because of the color of their skin, I would be vilified and cursed as a racist. Yet I listen to person after person go on about what a great day it is for African Americans, how "we" are living Martin Luther King, Jr's dream, and how when the numbers from the districts in the different states come in with a majority of African American voters Obama's numbers will skyrocket.

I listen to the political pundents talk about how, in cities and counties that are a majority African American and have long histories of low voter turn-outs, the voter registrations are through the roof and attendence is higher then it has ever been.

One really must wonder if it is about the economy and the issues or that there is an African American candidate?

It isn't supposed to be about skin color. It is supposed to be about the issues. I pray that all these people who are voting because of skin color instead of issues are right.
Sandi



scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

Before this thread gets high jacked and gets so far off topic it can't come back,

As an American white woman I posted this thread because to my way of thinking it is a very important issues to the USA.



If a thread was posted about who has the dirtest laundry to air Great Briton or the USA I promise I will be there with bells on . Because before my people were Americans . they were native Irishmen
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

scholle-kid;1046049 wrote: the Irish, The Scottish, Africa's natural resources (daimond mines) , the Aussie's, there are so many countries that have felt the 'benefits of Great Britain services.


The Scots are an integral part of Great Britain. To describe the Irish as "Europe" is a wild stretch, don't you think?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

LilacDragon;1046050 wrote: As I sit here and listen to the news reports, I just want to cry. As a white American, if I said that I voted for a candidate because of the color of their skin, I would be vilified and cursed as a racist. Yet I listen to person after person go on about what a great day it is for African Americans, how "we" are living Martin Luther King, Jr's dream, and how when the numbers from the districts in the different states come in with a majority of African American voters Obama's numbers will skyrocket.



I listen to the political pundents talk about how, in cities and counties that are a majority African American and have long histories of low voter turn-outs, the voter registrations are through the roof and attendence is higher then it has ever been.

One really must wonder if it is about the economy and the issues or that there is an African American candidate?



It isn't supposed to be about skin color. It is supposed to be about the issues. I pray that all these people who are voting because of skin color instead of issues are right.




This is what I am worried about and why I started this thread .
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

LilacDragon;1046050 wrote: It isn't supposed to be about skin color. It is supposed to be about the issues. I pray that all these people who are voting because of skin color instead of issues are right.Call it payback. There's a lot of that hitting the USA from outside its borders as well. Putting up with a bit of internal prejudice is far less worrying for you than international opinion, I'd have thought.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
LilacDragon
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:23 am

The 11th hour

Post by LilacDragon »

There is no country on the planet that has not treated some of it's citizens poorly at one time or another.

At what point does the current generation get off the hook? My family never owned a slave and yet because I am white I am supposed to owe something to those who are descendants of slaves?

If this is the case, please let me know. I believe Sweden might owe me something because my Great Grandfather was a "slave" a century ago.
Sandi



User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

The 11th hour

Post by Accountable »

scholle-kid;1045956 wrote: I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies. In another forum a poster said 'Just think if all goes the way it should black kids will for the first time in history see a black presidents picture on the wall in their classrooms.

I ask her if she had voted for color of skin or because she felt he was the better of the 2 choices to lead our nation and make right and just desisions for our citizens and the nation ? she said ' "I voted for the color of his skin"

The ramifications of this is just to sad . All the years and tears and pain of racism that this nation has been through is all meaningless and for nothing . I know what you mean. If he wins and blows it, there will be those who will say "I told you so." I take heart in the fact that Obama isn't the first to go for the nomination. Americans has enough sense not to vote color when Jesse Jackson ran. Same with Alan Keyes. Despite how Spot and his ilk try to paint us, we are leaving our past in the past.
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

spot;1046066 wrote: The Scots are an integral part of Great Britain. To describe the Irish as "Europe" is a wild stretch, don't you think?




just about every country that is in Europe and the surrounding areas
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

LilacDragon;1046081 wrote: There is no country on the planet that has not treated some of it's citizens poorly at one time or another.The words you're missing are "so much" and "so recently".
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
LilacDragon
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:23 am

The 11th hour

Post by LilacDragon »

spot;1046074 wrote: Call it payback. There's a lot of that hitting the USA from outside its borders as well. Putting up with a bit of internal prejudice is far less worrying for you than international opinion, I'd have thought.


Honestly, I could give a rat's hiney about international opinion! I have to LIVE here and I don't want the leader of my country elected because of his skin color instead of his stand on the issues and what THAT is going to do to how I live my life.
Sandi



scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong .

But guess what,, the USA DID NOT invent slavery or persecution for beliefs or being prejudice against a people for whatever reason .
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

scholle-kid;1046099 wrote: Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong .

But guess what,, the USA DID NOT invent slavery or persecution for beliefs or being prejudice against a people for whatever reason .


You're quite right. It invented apartheid instead, and the South Africans copied it.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

spot;1046084 wrote: The words you're missing are "so much" and "so recently".




Wow are you ever grasping at straws.

there is not one slave or one slave owner any where in the 50 sates today . They have all been dead for close to or more than a century.
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

scholle-kid;1046109 wrote: Wow are you ever grasping at straws.

there is not one slave or one slave owner any where in the 50 sates today . They have all been dead for close to or more than a century.


You know what? Black-majority public schools in the US are still worse than white-majority public schools. Even on that fundamental a measure there's still no level playing field.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

scholle-kid;1045956 wrote: I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies. In another forum a poster said 'Just think if all goes the way it should black kids will for the first time in history see a black presidents picture on the wall in their classrooms.

I ask her if she had voted for color of skin or because she felt he was the better of the 2 choices to lead our nation and make right and just desisions for our citizens and the nation ? she said ' "I voted for the color of his skin"

The ramifications of this is just to sad . All the years and tears and pain of racism that this nation has been through is all meaningless and for nothing . I don't mean to sound like I believe Mc caain is a better choice.

because this post is not about the voters voting for the best choice ,this post is about voters that voted the way they did for the wrong reasons. If people were angry and concerned 50 years ago about what affect social conditions of that time had on the children both white and black. Just what affect will this have on the children of today? I don't know any more than the next American does who will be in the white for the next 4 to 8 years at this moment, and like all Americans hope with all I have that who ever it is will do his best for our nation and our citizens.


a request please,

if a poster can not stay on topic of OP please open your own thread.
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

spot;1046107 wrote: You're quite right. It invented apartheid instead, and the South Africans copied it.


Dude got to google .com and find your self a dictionary with the meaning of worsd like



correct



or



continuring



or leave off already,,,
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
LilacDragon
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:23 am

The 11th hour

Post by LilacDragon »

spot;1046114 wrote: You know what? Black-majority public schools in the US are still worse than white-majority public schools. Even on that fundamental a measure there's still no level playing field.


I wonder why that is?

Look at the problems in those schools and the surrounding neighborhoods. How about putting the blame where it belongs instead of trying to blame it on "white America".
Sandi



User avatar
Kindle
Posts: 7090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 pm

The 11th hour

Post by Kindle »

LilacDragon;1046090 wrote: ,,,,,,and I don't want the leader of my country elected because of his skin color instead of his stand on the issues and what THAT is going to do to how I live my life.


As each person can choose as they see fit, we will get what we get. The news media will create their stories as to how and why it all came about, just as they have during the almost 2 years of the campaigning, but nobody knows for sure what and why choices are finally made. They only know what they are told and then they might slant it to their own ends.

No matter who is elected, we still have a Congress which wields a good bit of strength in the governing process.

AND, the beauty of America is that once the election is final, we as Americans should, as we used to do in the past, support our President. I, for one, would not want to live anywhere else.




"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

Kindle;1046138 wrote: As each person can choose as they see fit, we will get what we get. The news media will create their stories as to how and why it all came about, just as they have during the almost 2 years of the campaigning, but nobody knows for sure what and why choices are finally made. They only know what they are told and then they might slant it to their own ends.



No matter who is elected, we still have a Congress which wields a good bit of strength in the governing process.



AND, the beauty of America is that once the election is final, we as Americans should, as we used to do in the past, support our President. I, for one, would not want to live anywhere else.


The very first sentence of my OP said

"I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies.?

I did not put it off on any certain thing like media or any one group .



And you are right on the money about not wanting to be anywhere but here in America .
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

scholle-kid;1046148 wrote: The very first sentence of my OP said

"I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies.?Okay, here's a list of the only states in which Senator Obama's been unable to make inroads into the 2004 proportions. I'm not being selective, these are straight from the current figures of votes counted.

Missouri

Arkansas

West Virginia

Tennessee

Louisiana

Georgia

South Carolina

Mississippi

Kentucky

Do they look Confederate or don't they?

Every other state where counting's in progress, he's made advances. Not in those.

What do they have in common?

I suggest they're places where significant numbers of people are voting on the basis of skin color, and they're white.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

What do they have in common?



1. They are all states inthe USA



2.They are the states that any bookie would have bet would vote for Mccain



3. They are X Confederate states that now are part of the USA
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
QUINNSCOMMENTARY
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:56 pm

The 11th hour

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

scholle-kid;1045956 wrote: I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies. In another forum a poster said 'Just think if all goes the way it should black kids will for the first time in history see a black presidents picture on the wall in their classrooms.

I ask her if she had voted for color of skin or because she felt he was the better of the 2 choices to lead our nation and make right and just desisions for our citizens and the nation ? she said ' "I voted for the color of his skin"

The ramifications of this is just to sad . All the years and tears and pain of racism that this nation has been through is all meaningless and for nothing . I don't mean to sound like I believe Mc caain is a better choice.

because this post is not about the voters voting for the best choice ,this post is about voters that voted the way they did for the wrong reasons. If people were angry and concerned 50 years ago about what affect social conditions of that time had on the children both white and black. Just what affect will this have on the children of today? I don't know any more than the next American does who will be in the white for the next 4 to 8 years at this moment, and like all Americans hope with all I have that who ever it is will do his best for our nation and our citizens.


I just heard a white women on TV say she voted for Obama "because he was a community organizer and he cares about housing."

But more to the point, yes black Americans voted for him because he is black, period, but that is OK. In fact, the fact that black young people now have a black person to look up to as a role model is likely to be the only truly positive thing to come from his election or lets hope it is. Colin Powell was vilified in segments of the black community because he acted too white, go figure.

But remember, it was white America that elected Obama.

It was not too long ago that a person 50% white and 50% black was shunned by both communities and today a person of such a background is an African American, go figure.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw



"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton



Quinnscommentary



Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)



Quinnscommentary Blog
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

scholle-kid;1046185 wrote: What do they have in common?



1. They are all states inthe USA



2.They are the states that any bookie would have bet would vote for Mccain



3. They are X Confederate states that now are part of the USA


And what distinguishes them from every other State, besides being the only States into which Senator Obama couldn't significantly increase the proportion of the Democrat vote compared with the 2004 election figures?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

Ok , Every single one of Spots posts and points on topic are 100% historically correct. up until about 75 years ago his post were 'the wau it was' in the life of an American black person.

But the black American people and the white American people have moved so far and very fast (faster and farther than any other time or country) away from those ways of life that we could really be proud. Yes we were not yet close to perfection but hey we had not given up . But I fear that to day that a large majority of black Americans have stepped up to the plate and tossed it all into the dumpsite.

A person of 'color' was just saying they are 'pro life and belives abortion is murder, and then very proudly state they had voted for

barack obama .



barack obama quotes

those of us who are pro-choice

Homosexuality no more immoral than heterosexuality
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

scholle-kid;1046199 wrote: But the black American people and the white American people have moved so far and very fast (faster and farther than any other time or country)You sort of wonder what Nelson Mandela was up to, being President of South Africa. You don't think the people of South Africa have moved slightly farther, slightly faster?scholle-kid wrote: up until about 75 years ago his post were 'the wau it was' in the life of an American black person.I've been listening to people on the radio this evening well short of 75 discussing life under the segregation laws.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

spot;1046198 wrote: And what distinguishes them from every other State, besides being the only States into which Senator Obama couldn't significantly increase the proportion of the Democrat vote compared with the 2004 election figures?




I answered your question ,



What do they have in common?







dude is your name Tom Tedford and do you live in belen new mexico ? I have known (and liked ) for the most part ,,most of the time this guy Tom for over 15 years and he will do the very same thing. He will ask a question and when he gets an answer he throws in a 'curve ball' and then acts like the other person is avoiding the question or didn't answer it ..Tom is really alot of fun when we are sitting around killing a bottle of Jack Danels black



srry i just went way off topic but now I'm back.



so now your question is what exactlu ? I will have to say if you are wanting all kinds of in depth strung out numbers and exact numbers or charts and stuff. you will need to go ask someone that would know cuz it ain't me.

besides I have found that when someone asks for a detailed fact filled statiscs answer to un realated questions , they already know the answer and just trying to trip some up..

The very first sentence of my OP said

"I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies.?
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

When you have one set of States which behaves differently to all the other States, by digging their heels in and refusing to follow the national trend in favor of the Democrats, and they're all States with historical baggage about race, it's fair to assume that a significant proportion of the white voters couldn't stomach voting for a black man. That's what the figures say, unless you have an alternative explanation. It's exactly to the point of your OP, "I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies". I figure we can tell exactly that. Unless, as I say, you can think of any other reason why that particular set of States all reacted to a black candidate the way they did.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
flopstock
Posts: 7406
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:52 am

The 11th hour

Post by flopstock »

All you have to do is look at the pictures of grant park tonight. Blacks didn't elect this man president. Blacks could not have elected this man president.



" I long for the day when a child is judged by the content of his character, not the color of his skin" MLK



Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asians, and Native Americans combined forces to elect this man president.... and you saw them all in the sea of faces out there celebrating tonight.



The coolest thing for me was explaining to my nine year old how remarkable it is to me. Why it is historic...She didn't get why it would be that big a deal..



I like that right or wrong on the issues, this man was chosen because enough Americans bought into his ideas.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

spot;1046220 wrote: When you have one set of States which behaves differently to all the other States, by digging their heels in and refusing to follow the national trend in favor of the Democrats, and they're all States with historical baggage about race, it's fair to assume that a significant proportion of the white voters couldn't stomach voting for a black man. That's what the figures say, unless you have an alternative explanation. It's exactly to the point of your OP, "I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies". I figure we can tell exactly that. Unless, as I say, you can think of any other reason why that particular set of States all reacted to a black candidate the way they did.






I figure we can tell exactly that


Please don't try and tell me you think those people in those states are the only proplr and the only states that voted color ?

all along there has been droves of people comming out of thr wood work that had never voted or had not in a long time.so add those to the numbers in those states and of course the voters that have voted in ever election and only one more time and because it's a moot question it is now and it was when I post it 15 minutes before the polls closed here in my neck of the woods. I figure we will never know how many peoplr voted color with no thought to ability ,,,,,,,



Hind sight 20/20

it would have completelybeen a differeny deal if I had used the words Americans instead of people, why because any one ready willing and able to jump on a post like this will not stop to degest the details like 'people' they will just assume I'm mean blacks and wa hoo here we go
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

scholle-kid;1046240 wrote: it would have completelybeen a differeny deal if I had used the words Americans instead of people, why because any one ready willing and able to jump on a post like this will not stop to degest the details like 'people' they will just assume I'm mean blacks and wa hoo here we goJust re-read your OP - you were obviously only discussing the black vote. How else can the post be interpreted?

"people coming out of the wood work that had never voted"? Lawks a mussy.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

The 11th hour

Post by scholle-kid »

I just re read my OP and I say I did not lean either way .

I had read the thread of the woman I mentioed and a little while before I wrote my OP I had been checking out the info on all the peolpe that had registared to vote some that never had voted and some that hadn't in years , IMP there would be both whites and blacks registraring in droves ,both sides thinking to sway the end result .
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
User avatar
Bez
Posts: 8942
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:37 am

The 11th hour

Post by Bez »

LilacDragon;1046050 wrote: As I sit here and listen to the news reports, I just want to cry. As a white American, if I said that I voted for a candidate because of the color of their skin, I would be vilified and cursed as a racist. Yet I listen to person after person go on about what a great day it is for African Americans, how "we" are living Martin Luther King, Jr's dream, and how when the numbers from the districts in the different states come in with a majority of African American voters Obama's numbers will skyrocket.



I listen to the political pundents talk about how, in cities and counties that are a majority African American and have long histories of low voter turn-outs, the voter registrations are through the roof and attendence is higher then it has ever been.

One really must wonder if it is about the economy and the issues or that there is an African American candidate?



It isn't supposed to be about skin color. It is supposed to be about the issues. I pray that all these people who are voting because of skin color instead of issues are right.


How right you are......the world will only truly change for the better when colour, creed etc are NOT in the forefront of people's minds....getting people out of poverty, equality, fairness, good health etc etc these are the issues.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
User avatar
OpenMind
Posts: 8645
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:54 am

The 11th hour

Post by OpenMind »

It might be that this was the intentional ploy. By raising Obama as President, the black people are not only given an incentive to vote but are hardly likely to vote for a white candidate given their role in America for the last couple of centuries. America's leaders have just drawn them into line with some very crafty propaganda.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

spot;1046220 wrote: When you have one set of States which behaves differently to all the other States, by digging their heels in and refusing to follow the national trend in favor of the Democrats, and they're all States with historical baggage about race, it's fair to assume that a significant proportion of the white voters couldn't stomach voting for a black man. That's what the figures say, unless you have an alternative explanation. It's exactly to the point of your OP, "I figure we will never know just how many people voted for color of skin without a thought to abilities or policies". I figure we can tell exactly that. Unless, as I say, you can think of any other reason why that particular set of States all reacted to a black candidate the way they did.


There's now enough returns to be more confident of the swing percentages for each state.

To deal with the home states first, Indiana and Hawaii were the only two states to swing more than 10% toward Democrat.

Arkansas is a total oddity, swinging 5% toward Republican - I'll call that the one and only visible sign of the Hillary effect. Arizona and Alaska also swung Republican being the contenders' home States.

Nationally, 90% of the black turnout voted Democrat.

The national average swing toward Democrat was 5%. The only States which reversed that and stuck within 2 points of the 2004 vote distribution were, as I said last night, States of the old Confederacy, and I put this down to a greater than average white unwillingness among a minority in those States to vote for a black candidate. They are:

Louisiana

Oklahoma

Tennessee

West Virginia

Massachusetts

Kentucky

Alabama

Mississippi

Do they look like States with historical race issues to you? They do to me.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Fyrenza
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:38 pm

The 11th hour

Post by Fyrenza »

spot;1047095 wrote: There's now enough returns to be more confident of the swing percentages for each state.

To deal with the home states first, Indiana and Hawaii were the only two states to swing more than 10% toward Democrat.

Arkansas is a total oddity, swinging 5% toward Republican - I'll call that the one and only visible sign of the Hillary effect. Arizona and Alaska also swung Republican being the contenders' home States.

Nationally, 90% of the black turnout voted Democrat.

The national average swing toward Democrat was 5%. The only States which reversed that and stuck within 2 points of the 2004 vote distribution were, as I said last night, States of the old Confederacy, and I put this down to a greater than average white unwillingness among a minority in those States to vote for a black candidate. They are:

Louisiana

Oklahoma

Tennessee

West Virginia

Massachusetts

Kentucky

Alabama

Mississippi

Do they look like States with historical race issues to you? They do to me.


This absolutely INFURIATING!!! i did a LONG post, but because i haven't made 15 posts yet, i couldn't put a URL into the post, and when i clicked back to my post ~ IT WAS GONE! #&*$@

Okay, here we go again:

First, the actual Confederate States, which might look like they have historical race issues, were:

1. South Carolina

2. North Carolina

3. Florida

4. Alabama

5. Georgia

6. Louisiana

7. Texas

8. Virginia

9. Arkansas

10. Mississippi

11. Tennessee

You added:

12. Kentucky

13. Oklahoma

14. Massachussets

i think it might be a better idea, before yelling Racial Discrimination, to see how those states voted in the past 4 elections (not including this one, 1996 - 2004):

1. South Carolina ~ REP x 4 THIS ELECTION: REP

2. North Carolina ~ REP x 4 THIS ELECTION: DEM

3. Florida ~ DEM x 3 / Rep x 1 THIS ELECTION: DEM

4. Alabama ~ REP x 4 THIS ELECTION: REP

5. Georgia ~ DEM x 3 / Rep x 1 THIS ELECTION: REP

6. Louisiana ~ Dem x 2 / Rep x 2 THIS ELECTION: REP

7. Texas ~ REP x 4 THIS ELECTION: REP

8. Virginia ~ REP x 4 THIS ELECTION: DEM

9. Arkansas ~ Dem x 2 / Rep x 2 THIS ELECTION: REP

10. Mississippi ~ REP x 4 THIS ELECTION: REP

11. Tennessee ~ Dem x 2 / Rep x 2 THIS ELECTION: REP

12. Kentucky ~ Dem x 2 / Rep x 2 THIS ELECTION: REP

13. Oklahoma ~ REP x 4 THIS ELECTION: REP

14. Massachussets ~ DEM x 4 THIS ELECTION: DEM

It really looks to me like the folks in those states either: A) vote a straight ticket; or B) vote for the candidate they think will do the job best.
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

The 11th hour

Post by Accountable »

Fyrenza;1059896 wrote: This absolutely INFURIATING!!! i did a LONG post, but because i haven't made 15 posts yet, i couldn't put a URL into the post, and when i clicked back to my post ~ IT WAS GONE! #&*$@.Before hitting submit, select all then copy. That way you'll have it if something goes wrong... because something goes wrong seemingly when you've written your best work. :-5
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

Fyrenza;1059896 wrote: i think it might be a better idea, before yelling Racial Discrimination, to see how those states voted in the past 4 elections (not including this one, 1996 - 2004):I'm glad someone sorted out which of the states I listed weren't actually a part of the Confederacy. Thank you.

The only reason I listed those eight states together is that they're the ones which stuck to their previous voting patterns - just as you said. Every other state except those listed swung 5% plus or minus a bit toward the Democrats. Those eight states didn't, they stuck to previous form. I still think it was a white minority incapable of voting for a black president which held the figures from shifting the way all the other forty-odd states did. It doesn't take many people to have that much of an effect.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Fyrenza
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:38 pm

The 11th hour

Post by Fyrenza »

Yeah, i'm getting pretty good at researching up stuff ~

of course, having folks scream 'Sources, SOURCES!' will sort of do that to you...

:yh_rotfl You can't BELIEVE all the 'extra' favs/bookmarks i've got right now, just in case YOU wanted some sources! ;)
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

Me?

The only thing I have trouble with is people thinking opinions count for anything if they're based only on prejudice.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Fyrenza
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:38 pm

The 11th hour

Post by Fyrenza »

spot;1059936 wrote: Me?

The only thing I have trouble with is people thinking opinions count for anything if they're based only on prejudice.




It could be said that opinions are RULED/formed by prejudices...
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38670
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

The 11th hour

Post by spot »

Fyrenza;1059978 wrote: It could be said that opinions are RULED by prejudices...As opposed to referenced events in the real world. Hence the bookmarks. I keep a few too because I know my opinions are worthless without their justification.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”