Historic Costuming

Discuss knitting, embroidery, crocheting, and other types of creative needlework.
Celtor

Historic Costuming

Post by Celtor »

Hi there! I stumbled onto some really great websites about making historically accurate clothing (especially women's dresses) and I'm thinking about starting into this, for my own pleasure....but I'm wondering if anyone here does this for either SCA events or Ren Faires and if there are any suggestions for what a brand-new costumer should start with. I have a basic sewing machine and can find my way around a pattern and also make up my own simple designs, but I would like to start with something that is fun, useful, and not likely to make me pull my hair out too quickly :D

Also, is anyone else in the Portland, Oregon, area?
Raven

Historic Costuming

Post by Raven »

you would make a mint over here!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Celtor

Historic Costuming

Post by Celtor »

Yeah, I've seen a lot of really great information from the UK and it definitely seems like there is more interest by the general public. Here it seems like if you go out in costume then you're one of those weird Con people :D
Raven

Historic Costuming

Post by Raven »

LOL! Well history REALLY is history over here! You can pick and choose from the beaker people of stone henge to the victorian! And with all the historical sites having folks in costume (historically accurate) guiding you through them, you would have a ball!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Tigerlily

Historic Costuming

Post by Tigerlily »

If you like making historic costumes but need a purpose, have you thought of offering your services to local amateur dramatics? Our local amdram does all sorts and likes the costumes to be as accurate as possible.

Return to “Needlecrafts”