A forum for history?

Hawke

A forum for history?

Post by Hawke »

While I realize that this type of forum may not perhaps be the most popular forum available here, I feel that we could get into some very good discussions. I love history. I truly feel that in order to understand where we are going, we need to know where we've been.

In that vein, perhaps we could make "History" a new forum category, with subforums that include "Biblical History", "Egypt and Mesopotamia", "Europe", "The Americas" "Asia" and "Oceania". Of course, divisions should be made as the admins see fit.

Thanks!
Lon

A forum for history?

Post by Lon »

I too love history, all of it. The problem though, is that there is so much of it, it's hard to hit it all in depth. It would take several lifetimes. I have just finished reading the memoirs of U.S. Grant. It's an outstanding read. In addition to being a pretty good Civil War General (lousy President), he was a damn good writer. The critics have said that his memoirs are among the best ever written.

Just curious, but in your archaeology studies, have you read anything on the ancient Maori migration to New Zealand from Hawaii?
lady cop

A forum for history?

Post by lady cop »

i am a dyed-in-the-wool history buff! actually i love English/European history, WWll, ancient Egyptian, Titanic lore....history forum would be wonderful! :)
capt_buzzard

A forum for history?

Post by capt_buzzard »

American History would be interesting. :guitarist

But don't ask me about Irish history :-5
greydeadhead

A forum for history?

Post by greydeadhead »

this is a great idea.. especially the subforums. I have always enjoyed discussiing history and it's impact on today..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
beautyful

A forum for history?

Post by beautyful »

lady cop wrote: i am a dyed-in-the-wool history buff! actually i love English/European history, WWll, ancient Egyptian, Titanic lore....history forum would be wonderful! :)

I do french and european studies at uni and I love european history and especially French and English history. It can be so interesting when you get into it
capt_buzzard

A forum for history?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Speaking about History, and the American civil war. The Movie "Gone with the Wind', as voted the number 1 movie of all time here in Ireland this year.

:-6
Lon

A forum for history?

Post by Lon »

GONE WITH THE WIND is the only film that I have ever seen more than twice.

Little known fact about the U.S. Civil War is that the deaths exceeded all other wars that the U.S. was involved in, right up to the Viet Nam War.

There were 620,000 deaths. The Union Army (north) fielded some 2,500,000 to 2,750,000 troops and the Confederate (south) fielded some 750,000 to 1,250,000.
A Karenina

A forum for history?

Post by A Karenina »

capt_buzzard wrote: Speaking about History, and the American civil war. The Movie "Gone with the Wind', as voted the number 1 movie of all time here in Ireland this year.

:-6
With a proper southern drawl: I can't think about that today...I'll have to think about that tomorrow!

(One of my favorite lines from that movie)

YES!! to the history section. :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
ForumGarden

A forum for history?

Post by ForumGarden »

Great suggestion! We'll start with History as a forum and create more categories as this topic grows.

Thanks!
capt_buzzard

A forum for history?

Post by capt_buzzard »

And now that we have a History section. Let us hear from more about the American Civil War. :-6
LottomagicZ4941

A forum for history?

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

"When your down in the gutter nothing seems to matter when your history" UFO from The Wild the Willing and The Innocent.

I enjoyed learing the world war II facts that were posted a while back here.

Did you know women were selling Avon before they were given the right to vote in the US?

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

Magic

Return to “Request A New Forum Here”