A forum just for Bicycles

Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

As we all know the cost of everything is not only going up there are also questions of shortages developing all across the world as oil supplys are depleted.

While many think the bicycle is just a toy a quick look at the worlds transportation uses, and needs, will reveal that the bicycle is a valid transportation vehicle for all classes of people worldwide. Petrol powered vehicles may rule today but not even electric can save the "cars" of the world from the coming obsolescence that is long past due for the masses.

That said, a forum to discuss the use of bicycles for everyday transport is necessary as more and more people come to see the bicycle as more than a toy.

Note: I see there is "Biker" forum already. However, the term "Biker" is so broad that motorized cycles of all types will overshadow the true bicycle crowding out specific bicycle info.

http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entr ... -176000958
recovering conservative

Post by recovering conservative »

I just happened to notice this thread. I could have 2nd'd the motion when it was first posted, but I think the concept of a cyclists forum came up after I had stopped being active here, and "Tightwad" appears to be inactive here now.

I thought of this when I looked at the Biker Forum also. Bikers and cyclists are totally different breeds of animals. The whole reason I'm out for a long bike ride through the countryside when I have the opportunity, is to get away from the cars and the noise....aside from associated fitness benefits that come from a self-powered vehicle. But, if I was riding a hog along my usual long bike routes, it would be like riding along and listening to a lawnmower droning away underneath me!

I wonder if there is anyone else here now who would also like a forum for discussion cycling issues: types and costs of equipment; cycling technique; dealing with all of the essential do-it-yourself maintenance issues etc.. There's all sorts of issues where cycling and motorbiking have nothing in common...aside from riding on two wheels.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am looking to purchase another bike.

My last one was stolen just before we moved back to Colorado.

This is the ultimate country for bike, and I need to get back on a bike since my running career is over before it really began.

Reviving this thread may prove to be a great idea.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
recovering conservative

glad to hear that I'm not the only one here! If you live in Colorado, sounds like you have nice scenery, but I can imagine that riding through the Rockies presents a few challenges. I guess you have to love climbing hills! Where I live, the terrain is flatter, except for areas of peaks and valleys along the Niagara Escarpment...but the escarpment is only 300 feet high...not exactly like climbing real mountains.

I haven't been able to set money aside for expensive bikes in at least 25 years; but the improvements over the years in frame design mean that my $450 dollar aluminum frame road bike is smoother and more comfortable to ride than the custom made $2000 chrome-moly framed bike I bought back in the late 80's. I still have it, but it's been sitting somewhere in the garage ever since I moved 14 years ago. For my purposes, expensive bikes are a waste of money. It's true that the better bikes have better, more reliable components...if you buy cheaper bikes, you have to buy a few tools and learn some of the basics of bike maintenance and repair. But, at some point, a $5000 to $15000 price just can't be justified by anyone who's not planning on competing in the Tour de France!

I posted a comment on an old thread I started when I was last active several years ago on running in minimal shoes in case you're interested. For myself, I discovered that I could resume running to a more limited extent once I changed the footwear.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Where I live is fairly even elevation at the foot of the Rockies. the elevation changes in my immediate area are within 100 feet. I am not even prepared for elevation biking yet. Not too far from here, though we have roads where elevation change about 2000 feet. (5500 to 7600 ft above Sea Level) When I have mastered that, I "might think about the real climbs, like Loveland Pass Loveland Pass | Summit Biking or Monarch Pass Bicycling Monarch Pass Colorado

But I have a long way to go before that.

It has been a long time since I was acclimatized to the upper elevations.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
recovering conservative

LarsMac;1459179 wrote: Where I live is fairly even elevation at the foot of the Rockies. the elevation changes in my immediate area are within 100 feet. I am not even prepared for elevation biking yet. Not too far from here, though we have roads where elevation change about 2000 feet. (5500 to 7600 ft above Sea Level) When I have mastered that, I "might think about the real climbs, like Loveland Pass Loveland Pass | Summit Biking or Monarch Pass Bicycling Monarch Pass Colorado

But I have a long way to go before that.

It has been a long time since I was acclimatized to the upper elevations.

I can imagine what the descents must be like, coming down some of those steep mountain roads! I'm not sure if it makes up for all the work trying to get to the top. I'd probably be stepping down and walking my bike up most of the way!

I'm not too good at climbing hills. Biggest problem may be because I really didn't take up cycling till about 25 years ago, when a friend wanted me to go out and ride with him, and I'm still working at trying to get a little more efficient/less energy wasting, especially going uphill.

I've never really got the hang at riding out of the saddle. I just can't get the technique down, so the best I can do is stay seated and push the lowest gear I can manage...and on the steep rises...like one on my way to Niagara Falls, I'm walking my bike at some point before I get to the top! Maybe if I was younger I could manage it. But, I have to save a little for the last 8 miles.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I didn't see this the first time round, come to think of it, it was under Tombstone's watch :-)

It sounds like a reasonable idea, I'll set one up sometime in the next week when I get time to work out how to do it :wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1459228 wrote: I didn't see this the first time round, come to think of it, it was under Tombstone's watch :-)

It sounds like a reasonable idea, I'll set one up sometime in the next week when I get time to work out how to do it :wah:

Well that was easier than I thought - go play and see if it works.

Return to “Request A New Forum Here”