Novelist Fights the Tide by Opening a Bookstore

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
tabby

Post by tabby »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/us/an ... .html?_r=1

Good for her! So many small bookstores closed back in the 1990s and I'd love to see a trend reversal!
Lon

Post by Lon »

Unfortunately, bookstores will be gone completely. I am reading posts from FG on my I Pad and have three best selling books that I have down loaded and am currently reading on the I Pad. Nespapers and books as we have known them in the past will gradually be displaced. I personally do not miss hanging out at musty smelling book stores and drinking coffee with other book browsers. I much prefer sitting in my garden, patio, lounge with my feet up, enjoying my coffee and reading on the I Pad.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Awwww ... that's a great imagery of relaxation but I think whether you were holding a book or IPad you'd still enjoy the scenario you painted in your post. I think there will always be book lovers and I think there will always be bookstores, even if only for used books and fewer to choose from. Personally, I don't think I've ever been in a new bookstore that smelled musty like you described and I don't remember being in a small bookstore that served coffee although I'm sure they do somewhere.

Yay to Ann Patchett for bucking the trend and making a positive change where she saw need! :cool:

Return to “The Library”