the role of women in islam

Discuss the Muslim Faith.
nlwright

Post by nlwright »

as a liberal, canadian woman, who does not belong to religion i am very curious about the attitudes towards women in various faiths. my peers (though personally i am undecided due to lack of knowledge) often find much fault with the way muslim women are regarded. surely if i were to convert to a particular belief system i would want to know how i can expect to be treated.

for example there is the practise of covering women. because i am canadian i have seen a wide variance in how this is done. my pakistani muslim friends (also women) dress pretty much the same as me except that they have beautifully decorated clothes they wear to family or religious gatherings (n the style of india or pakistan). a girl i went to college with once told me about her decision to wear the hijab (i think that is what you call the hair covering...please make excuses for my ignorance :) ) which indicates to me some freedom of choice. the mothers of my son's schoolmates cover everything but their faces. still some other women cover everything except their eyes. i admit to feeling self conscious around these women as if perhaps i seem improper in their eyes.

there is also the practise of women not being allowed the social freedom that their male counterparts enjoy. this is another area i have seen varying in degree.

my non-muslim peers interpret this to mean that women are unequal or inferior in muslim culture. some even find it quite offensive. i would like to know the how and the why of it before i make any judgment on the subject. any thoughts?
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

You woman, why are you posting on the internet?? Don’t you know you have no say in society? And certainly no opinion on this subject and this is a religious matter.

Shame on you…. You, go serve your man.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

mikeinie;1177785 wrote: You woman, why are you posting on the internet?? Don’t you know you have no say in society? And certainly no opinion on this subject and this is a religious matter.

Shame on you…. You, go serve your man. I'm going to ask my man what his views on this are.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

oscar;1177789 wrote: I'm going to ask my man what his views on this are.

Don't you mean that you are going to ask your man what your views are on this?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1177789 wrote: I'm going to ask my man what his views on this are.

And in that case, he will wind up in the doghouse:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

mikeinie;1177792 wrote: Don't you mean that you are going to ask your man what your views are on this?
You know me just a tad toooooooooo well :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
nlwright

Post by nlwright »

so far i find the replies to my query not only unhelpful but ignorant. i am sorry for anyone who disagrees with the way muslim women are treated but i wish to know facts...not to bandy about insults. please keep any negative comments to yourselves if you have no information to offer me.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

nlwright;1177807 wrote: so far i find the replies to my query not only unhelpful but ignorant. i am sorry for anyone who disagrees with the way muslim women are treated but i wish to know facts...not to bandy about insults. please keep any negative comments to yourselves if you have no information to offer me.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:p
Oscar Namechange

nlwright;1177807 wrote: so far i find the replies to my query not only unhelpful but ignorant. i am sorry for anyone who disagrees with the way muslim women are treated but i wish to know facts...not to bandy about insults. please keep any negative comments to yourselves if you have no information to offer me. See what you've done now Mikey? You think this is ignorant..... wait til Nomad comes on.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1177810 wrote: See what you've done now Mikey? You think this is ignorant..... wait til Nomad comes on.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl and wait till you see his new looks:yh_rotfl
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

nlwright;1177807 wrote: so far i find the replies to my query not only unhelpful but ignorant. i am sorry for anyone who disagrees with the way muslim women are treated but i wish to know facts...not to bandy about insults. please keep any negative comments to yourselves if you have no information to offer me.

Before you judge me, see my post in your introduction thread.
nlwright

Post by nlwright »

mikeinie,

i do not judge you. i judge the remarks being made. i asked a question because i required information. i went to what i deemed to be a good source of information for the question i have asked. i understand that you obviously reject islam as a religion. that is fine for you. i am not here to judge anybody about what they think or choose to believe. i am using my own intellect, my own judgment, my own brain to come to my own conclusions. in order to make informed choices i need information. i have not received any information in the replies made here....just jokes and insults against the religion. that is not useful or helpful in any way.

i ask all the people here who have made silly remarks rather than answer my question: why are you here? do you wait for opportunities to make fun? the jokes here do not look friendly to objective eyes. i cannot imagine that a muslim would find them funny in the least. but then i am new. perhaps this joking is accepted by the muslims here.

also note, that when i use the term "ignorant" i mean uninstructed or uninformed. if you are indeed instructed and informed, please answer my question.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

nlwright;1177912 wrote: mikeinie,

i do not judge you. i judge the remarks being made. i asked a question because i required information. i went to what i deemed to be a good source of information for the question i have asked. i understand that you obviously reject islam as a religion. that is fine for you. i am not here to judge anybody about what they think or choose to believe. i am using my own intellect, my own judgment, my own brain to come to my own conclusions. in order to make informed choices i need information. i have not received any information in the replies made here....just jokes and insults against the religion. that is not useful or helpful in any way.

i ask all the people here who have made silly remarks rather than answer my question: why are you here? do you wait for opportunities to make fun? the jokes here do not look friendly to objective eyes. i cannot imagine that a muslim would find them funny in the least. but then i am new. perhaps this joking is accepted by the muslims here.

also note, that when i use the term "ignorant" i mean uninstructed or uninformed. if you are indeed instructed and informed, please answer my question.

Wow, you are pretty serious… :-2

I respect all religions and beliefs.

Let me ask you this then in return, do you think that because you worded your posts so nicely that it is still ok to ask questions about other religions listing all the stereotypical/negative things that you hear about the religion first? Shouldn’t your first quest to be to find out the values and beliefs of the faiths your are looking into prior to listing all the negative thing you hear? Maybe by looking into the religion first it may answer your questions to the negative views that you have either heard or viewed.

Your posts are put forth as explorative and searching, but they are in fact only listing the rumored treatment of women within the religions and have nothing to do with the religious beliefs themselves. I did not joke or insult any religions here, I quoted back to you the statements you made, all-be-it in your attempt at political correctness.
nlwright

Post by nlwright »

that is a fair question.

first i have not come here loaded with stereotypes or to be politically correct. i also have made no list of "all the negative stereotypes" about that faith. i asked specifically to clarify how women are treated in the islamic tradition....a question i put to all of the religions i study. for the purposes of my research i must ask. reading the scripture first and interpreting it for myself does not help me because i have my own values to bring to it and i may not be likely to interpret the scripture the way a person who is a believer might. also many people who are believers have varying opinions themselves about how scripture ought to be interpreted. a forum is a good place to ask because then i can hear a number of different replies about those varying opinions. my examples are not based on what i have heard about the religion, but they are based on my personal experiences and observations.

muslim women do cover themselves. in fact i went into detail about the varying degrees in which they cover themselves. my high school friends do not cover themselves at all. my college friend only covered her hair by her own choice. my son's schoolmates mothers cover all but the face and some women i have traveled with on the bus cover themselves completely and only have the eyes showing in order to see. it is also a fact that in some areas of the world where islam is prevalent women are not allowed social freedoms but must be accompanied by a male relative.

it is also true that there have been cases where the punishments for disobeying this rule have been quite severe. at no point did i say "all muslims are like such and such". i merely asked for an explanation. i would like to know that, if i were to consider islam as a faith, on what basis should i accept this seeming disparity in equality of the sexes, particularly when i have already enjoyed the freedom of choosing to show my body or not or choosing to have a conversation with a man who is not my relative (for example).

i thought the very best people to explain the laws of islam to me would be other muslims. how on earth am i to find out if i do not ask? how else should i ask such a question?

YES. it is most certainly okay to ask questions about religious stereotypes. if they are not true or misconstrued then how else would one dispel one's ignorance? the reason my question is perceived as having "nothing to do with the religious belief (itself)" is simply because i am unfamiliar with that religious belief. i do not know that it has nothing to do with that religion. in catholicism it DOES have to do with their belief. they go into great detail and cite various scriptures to support their belief that women cannot be priests for example. i did not intend for my wording to be polite but i am certainly not going to be rude or disrespectful either. i intended my wording to accurately indicate that which i wish to have clarified.

if you must know i am writing a book to help bring better understanding about religion in general. i ask the tough questions because they deserve an answer and because i hypothesize that these "stereotypes" are not accurate. i also ask the tough questions because the reaction they get and how they are answered also might indicate the nature and character of the people who ascribe to certain belief systems. thus far i have noticed that each religion runs the gamut of humanity. you have good people, patient people, rude people, angry people etc...just as you would with any random group of human beings.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Fair enough, then that is more direct than in your introduction where who imply that you are seeking and are open to ‘eastern religion’. At least now we know you are gathering information and not necessarily looking for enlightenment.

I was only trying to have a bit of fun with you yesterday and did not intend to give you a wrong impression, anyone who knows me on the forum I would think would vouch for me. (I hope)

In my opinion, most religions tend to suppress woman, did you know that even in the Catholic church only up to about 25 years ago, woman were not allowed to back into a church after giving birth to a child until they were seen by a priest and went to confession? They were seen as ‘unclean’.

In Buddhism only men are monks.

In the Blue Mosque in Istanbul woman are only allowed to access the upper balconies in the back, in the Vatican (although no longer the case) there is a partition 1/3 of the way down and woman use to use a different entrance and be closed out from the main church area.

Yet, in most religions, it remains to be the women that are the most faithful and supportive of their faiths.

With a catholic background myself, and in my own belief, I think that is why in the bible Jesus always had a special relationship with women that have since been played down by the church. There is no evidence that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute, she could have very well have been Jesus’ wife, and it is clear throughout the bible of the close relationship he held with his mother Mary, where Joseph is seldom spoken of (although I have my own reasons for why that is as well).

Again, I hope I can redeem myself from yesterday, I was just winding you up.
nlwright

Post by nlwright »

i thank you...

upon further reflection i think i judged the comments too quickly. i can see that there is an intimate relationship going on with the people who post here. you all seem to know each other well and have a fun loving attitude. one of my first questions was responded to defensively by a muslim who admitted to me that there are not very many muslim posters in this forum because there are others who see fit to attack their beliefs.

personally i like people who challenge me. it can be difficult but it makes me review my motives and ideas more thoroughly. i am open to various religions but i have had reasons to reject them in the past, not least of which is the way women are generally treated in them. this was about ten years ago. i have decided to review my rejections and find out if i was indeed right to do so.

catholics interest me for the exact reasons you mentioned. christ had a special relationship with mary magdalene...women were the first persons he revealed himself to after the resurrection, his talking to and touching the samaritan woman etc. and yet the men who make the rules state that women cannot do such and such. i am still in the process of examining this question...

i think i may have mis-worded my intro....i want to learn about eastern religions (as well as western ones and even obscure ones) and have some questions that i was too polite to ask in the past to be answered.

ten years ago it was enough for me to say "oh that's what they believe, alright then i'll just move on". now i want to ask "on what basis should i accept this belief? why?" perhaps my earlier impressions were mistaken. certainly i am not the only one who is mistaken. perhaps it is time someone clarified all of this to people in general. in my dilettantish efforts at studying the world's religions i have also found much that is beautiful, wise or useful. some atheists believe that all religion should just be "stamped out". i ask, really? all of them? why?

it is useful for me to pose the general question "if i am shopping for religion, which one should i buy? or should they all just be left on the shelf?" i would naturally need some criteria for making my decisions. i am trying my best to be non-judgmental and open to different ideas but as all people carry around their own special biases this can be very difficult. your challenging me helps me to better accomplish my goals by seeing how my questions are perceived by others. perhaps my line of questioning is poor. surely i can always improve.
Oscar Namechange

nlwright;1178287 wrote: i thank you...

upon further reflection i think i judged the comments too quickly. i can see that there is an intimate relationship going on with the people who post here. you all seem to know each other well and have a fun loving attitude. one of my first questions was responded to defensively by a muslim who admitted to me that there are not very many muslim posters in this forum because there are others who see fit to attack their beliefs.

personally i like people who challenge me. it can be difficult but it makes me review my motives and ideas more thoroughly. i am open to various religions but i have had reasons to reject them in the past, not least of which is the way women are generally treated in them. this was about ten years ago. i have decided to review my rejections and find out if i was indeed right to do so.

catholics interest me for the exact reasons you mentioned. christ had a special relationship with mary magdalene...women were the first persons he revealed himself to after the resurrection, his talking to and touching the samaritan woman etc. and yet the men who make the rules state that women cannot do such and such. i am still in the process of examining this question...

i think i may have mis-worded my intro....i want to learn about eastern religions (as well as western ones and even obscure ones) and have some questions that i was too polite to ask in the past to be answered.

ten years ago it was enough for me to say "oh that's what they believe, alright then i'll just move on". now i want to ask "on what basis should i accept this belief? why?" perhaps my earlier impressions were mistaken. certainly i am not the only one who is mistaken. perhaps it is time someone clarified all of this to people in general. in my dilettantish efforts at studying the world's religions i have also found much that is beautiful, wise or useful. some atheists believe that all religion should just be "stamped out". i ask, really? all of them? why?

it is useful for me to pose the general question "if i am shopping for religion, which one should i buy? or should they all just be left on the shelf?" i would naturally need some criteria for making my decisions. i am trying my best to be non-judgmental and open to different ideas but as all people carry around their own special biases this can be very difficult. your challenging me helps me to better accomplish my goals by seeing how my questions are perceived by others. perhaps my line of questioning is poor. surely i can always improve.

Unfortunately, we have had spammers on this forum and we came to recognise the opening posts.

I think what you are also missing in religion especially Muslim is differnet cultures between West and East and law..... Sharia law for one. Sharia law originates from the Koran. Sharia law exists in Britain and is used by muslims in family courts.

As far as i'm concerned, it has no place in this country.....we are British and we abide by British law.
nlwright

Post by nlwright »

that's very interesting...i have never heard of sharia law...i also did not know this went on in britain. that sounds worrisome if there are laws that run counter to british law. what about judicial matters between muslims and non-muslims?

have there been problems presented so far as a result of this?
Oscar Namechange

nlwright;1178366 wrote: that's very interesting...i have never heard of sharia law...i also did not know this went on in britain. that sounds worrisome if there are laws that run counter to british law. what about judicial matters between muslims and non-muslims?

have there been problems presented so far as a result of this? Due to political correctness in Britain, if you dis-agree with Sharia law, you tend to be labelled racist. In matters concerning a British vs Muslim case, the British courts decide always but muslim vs muslim in non criminal cases are dealt with by muslim courts using Sharia law. Usually to do with divorce settlements or property issue's. This link will tell you more about Sharia law in Britain.

Revealed: UK’s first official sharia courts - Times Online

I am oppossed to Sharia law only because if i'm arrested in a muslim country, i do not expect to have my own law, i would expect to be handled by the laws of that country.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

nlwright;1177912 wrote: i have not received any information in the replies made here....just jokes and insults against the religion. that is not useful or helpful in any way.

i ask all the people here who have made silly remarks rather than answer my question: why are you here? do you wait for opportunities to make fun?

Many of us do. ( I, for one, list "taking the mick" in my profile as one of my interests.)

Many here do not put a lot of credibility in religions. I find them to be pretty much of a pantload. (That's religions, not FG members! :D)

FG is not a very reverent forum, for the most part.

You'll probably think of this as another smart ass remark, but I would seriously suggest to you that one of the very few belief systems that treat women as equals is the Wiccan creed.

Quite likely not what you weren't looking for, but there it is...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

nlwright;1178287 wrote: i thank you...

I hate to disappoint you but I'm very far from being a Muslim - I pointed out that there were very few Muslim members in the Garden so that you would not expect serious levels of information from inside that faith.

I was brought up in a Christian environment but I very quickly came to the conclusion that all organised religions were, by their very nature, corrupt.

So whilst I find much to be commended in the religious beliefs I've studied (study is way too strong a word - study is what Ted does, I play at it) and try to live my life by broadly New Testament values, I profess no religious allegiance.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1178296 wrote: Unfortunately, we have had spammers on this forum and we came to recognise the opening posts.

I think what you are also missing in religion especially Muslim is differnet cultures between West and East and law..... Sharia law for one. Sharia law originates from the Koran. Sharia law exists in Britain and is used by muslims in family courts.

As far as i'm concerned, it has no place in this country.....we are British and we abide by British law.

Sharia law does not come from the Koran in the way that Mosaic or Livitical law come from the Bible - it comes from the commentaries and from tradition rather than being incorporated into the text directly.

Although this can make it more flexible it also lays it open to interpretation and manipulation (Sharia law for a Shia is different to Sharia law for a Sunni for example) and makes it easier to use it as a tool of control in the way that the Popes used their power of Excommunication to control their flock.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1178413 wrote: I hate to disappoint you but I'm very far from being a Muslim - I pointed out that there were very few Muslim members in the Garden so that you would not expect serious levels of information from inside that faith.

I was brought up in a Christian environment but I very quickly came to the conclusion that all organised religions were, by their very nature, corrupt.

So whilst I find much to be commended in the religious beliefs I've studied (study is way too strong a word - study is what Ted does, I play at it) and try to live my life by broadly New Testament values, I profess no religious allegiance.

Ted may well be the poster most likely to answer nlwright's questions. I believe he is a humanist with a broad knowledge of religions and their denominations.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

nlwright;1178366 wrote: that's very interesting...i have never heard of sharia law...i also did not know this went on in britain. that sounds worrisome if there are laws that run counter to british law. what about judicial matters between muslims and non-muslims?

have there been problems presented so far as a result of this?

Sharia law has no legal authority in the UK and is used, in the same way as Judaic law or Church law, within the community for non-criminal cases if agreed by both parties.

Having said that, the pressures applied within the community for a person to agree to the use of Sharia law can be intense.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1178375 wrote: Due to political correctness in Britain, if you dis-agree with Sharia law, you tend to be labelled racist. In matters concerning a British vs Muslim case, the British courts decide always but muslim vs muslim in non criminal cases are dealt with by muslim courts using Sharia law. Usually to do with divorce settlements or property issue's. This link will tell you more about Sharia law in Britain.

Revealed: UK’s first official sharia courts - Times Online

I am oppossed to Sharia law only because if i'm arrested in a muslim country, i do not expect to have my own law, i would expect to be handled by the laws of that country.

I think thats bit strong. I dont believe anyone would be labelled racist for rejecting Sharia law. There are Muslims who think Sharia law has no place in a secular country.

I am opposed to both sharia and canon law. A complete seperation of religion and state. Thats how it must be in a secular society
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I am no expert, but my understanding is that Sharia law is regarded above all else, that is why in Canada there is an on going issue where under the Canadian Charter of Rights, Muslims are fighting for the right of self governing themselves within Canada.

This started back in 2004 and to my understanding this struggle continues today. In the West, are we prepare to have a society with two sets of laws within it under the umbrella of ‘religious freedoms’ one for those who believe church and state should be separate, and another who believe that they are governed by no other than their religion?

Sharia law in Canada, almost | News | guardian.co.uk

At what point does respecting other’s religion and culture start to sacrifice our own rights and culture?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

mikeinie;1178439 wrote: I am no expert, but my understanding is that Sharia law is regarded above all else, that is why in Canada there is an on going issue where under the Canadian Charter of Rights, Muslims are fighting for the right of self governing themselves within Canada.

This started back in 2004 and to my understanding this struggle continues today. In the West, are we prepare to have a society with two sets of laws within it under the umbrella of ‘religious freedoms’ one for those who believe church and state should be separate, and another who believe that they are governed by no other than their religion?

Sharia law in Canada, almost | News | guardian.co.uk

At what point does respecting other’s religion and culture start to sacrifice our own rights and culture?

At a point *way* before you place your secular law beneath another cultures religious law.
nlwright

Post by nlwright »

funny you should mention that richard :)

since my studies ten years ago i did, in fact, settle on witchcraft. i loved it for the way it honours women, sexual equality, respect for the earth etc. "do what thou wilt, an it harm none". if i can be considered any kind of scholar on any religion it would be the religion of witches. i practised for years but now i called myself a "lapsed pagan". (too hard to find time to observe so many sabbats and esbats etc) i mostly just try to live right.

i liked the "do what thou wilt" command because i felt it left me free to interpret anything in any way i chose and to be responsible for my own ethics etc. so i began to incorporate other religious practices into my own...meditation, chakra work, principle of karma etc. all modified to suit my needs.

but then i read "the god delusion". i began to question whether or not i was really religious as i felt myself to be, or if i was actually a pantheist who interprets gods as more like symbolic archetypes representing natural energies and phenomena in a personified way. i do not literally believe there are fairies in my garden but for fun i have left them milk and honey or apples knowing that nature will take care of it. maybe i'm just a "sexed up atheist" after all? much of my beliefs have some basis in science and if not...then i alter my beliefs.

i learned that i didn't fully understand what it means to be an atheist. dawkins presented such sound arguments that i find i cannot disagree. if i didn't fully understand atheism then it is possible i didn't fully understand the religions i chose to reject. i chastized myself for not understanding the other religions more deeply because i rejected them when i got to the bad, illogical stuff. i felt they deserved further investigation. i only wish to share my findings with others that they may also have better understanding.

bryn mawr makes me realize that we often make false assumptions about people. i humbly apologize for and retract my earlier criticisms.:o
Oscar Namechange

nlwright;1178468 wrote: .

bryn mawr makes me realize that we often make false assumptions about people. i humbly apologize for and retract my earlier criticisms.:o
Yes, Bryn has that effect on me also :wah:

When i have said i believe that different cultures play a large part in how muslim women are treated, i only have to look at my friends who are virtual servants in the house to their husbands. My friend a Turkish lady simply can not understand it when my husband may say he's just done the laundry or the dishes, she looks at him as though he's mad. I watch her fetching and carrying for her husband and tell her to tell him to get it himself. Different cultures. It's not to say she's treated badly, she wants to do it and she likes to do it.... I don't and i won't. :wah:
b0z0

Post by b0z0 »

I like the views of this scholar..Gulen..I thinks he has modern approach explaining women in Islam.
b0z0

Post by b0z0 »

I like this quote "Time and conditions are important means to interpret the Qur'an.".

Thus, one needs to learn about the life style and how people used to treat women back then and how Islam changed their lives.

'
ahamid

Post by ahamid »

oscar;1178510 wrote: Yes, Bryn has that effect on me also :wah:

When i have said i believe that different cultures play a large part in how muslim women are treated, i only have to look at my friends who are virtual servants in the house to their husbands. My friend a Turkish lady simply can not understand it when my husband may say he's just done the laundry or the dishes, she looks at him as though he's mad. I watch her fetching and carrying for her husband and tell her to tell him to get it himself. Different cultures. It's not to say she's treated badly, she wants to do it and she likes to do it.... I don't and i won't. :wah:

As a Turkish man, I can tell you that your friend does not represent the culture. You are right different cultures, however, even in one country (Turkey) there are many different cultures, regions, etc.

Return to “Islam”