The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
LarsMac

The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1520741 wrote: At the moment we are experiencing the edge of America's hurricanes. We live half way up a hill on the outskirts of Nottingham and it is blowing a hooligan ! It has been doing this for a few days now with the occasional heavy rain shower. However the temperature is fairly warm, so it isn't too bad when hubby takes our dog for her comfort walks and her longer walk for a run in the field. I just have to say thankyou to America for sharing their hurricane with us here in Britain - very generous, but don't worry about sending any more over the pond, please !

Oh, we are more than happy to share with our friends over there.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1520742 wrote: Oh, we are more than happy to share with our friends over there.

You are very kind, Lars. I'd stick me tongue out and have a bit of a ROFL if only I could activate the little thingies !!!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Not sure what has happened, but I can't activate any 'smilies', which is rather frustrating ! I've checked my settings, but can't find anywhere where I may have accidentally clicked an 'off' tab ! The 'Disable smilies in text' in 'Additional Options' at the bottom of the page here has not been 'ticked', so presumably this facility should still be available? Also I cannot get any reaction when I click on 'more' under the selection of smilies at the side of the post 'box'.

However, it seems there is no problem with the 'Post Icons' selection at the bottom of this page !

So has anybody got any ideas ? I do like me smilies !
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1520749 wrote: Not sure what has happened, but I can't activate any 'smilies', which is rather frustrating ! I've checked my settings, but can't find anywhere where I may have accidentally clicked an 'off' tab ! The 'Disable smilies in text' in 'Additional Options' at the bottom of the page here has not been 'ticked', so presumably this facility should still be available? Also I cannot get any reaction when I click on 'more' under the selection of smilies at the side of the post 'box'.

However, it seems there is no problem with the 'Post Icons' selection at the bottom of this page !

So has anybody got any ideas ? I do like me smilies !

That stuff seems to have been broken with the last hiccup in the system.

It might be a while before Spot or Bryn have a chance to investigate.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It's going to be around 23 C here today, so I suppose it's off with the heating and on with the T shirts again ! Possibly dig out the fans ? No wonder we Brits are always catching bugs and colds and other iffy germs.

Hey, Zap, if you are reading this, I've sent you a PM - not sure about your email Address, so hope you find your PM as it explains stuff.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well it looks as if the Autumn is well and truly established. Temps are falling, nights are drawing in, and the clocks in the UK will be going back 1 hour this Sunday. I wish that it would stay at GMT. There is no need for 'daylight saving' these days.

The deciduous trees are busy dropping their leaves, and 'conkers' are in abundance scattered all around their 'home' tree. Maybe children will retrieve them for playground fun. Oh dear, I don't think the game 'conkers' is permitted any more, neither is 'whip and top' something to do with 'Elf n' Sefty' - I suppose that children today could use such items as weapons !

This brings me onto how social behaviour has sunk so deeply into the gutter - teenagers and younger children carrying knives as part of their dress code. Of course, whilst they continue to do that, then the incidents of stabbings will only get worse. How do you stop youngsters from nickin' the kitchen knives for 'protection'?

I fear for the survival of the human race. I think they will kill each other.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1521131 wrote: Well it looks as if the Autumn is well and truly established. Temps are falling, nights are drawing in, and the clocks in the UK will be going back 1 hour this Sunday. I wish that it would stay at GMT. There is no need for 'daylight saving' these days.

The deciduous trees are busy dropping their leaves, and 'conkers' are in abundance scattered all around their 'home' tree. Maybe children will retrieve them for playground fun. Oh dear, I don't think the game 'conkers' is permitted any more, neither is 'whip and top' something to do with 'Elf n' Sefty' - I suppose that children today could use such items as weapons !

This brings me onto how social behaviour has sunk so deeply into the gutter - teenagers and younger children carrying knives as part of their dress code. Of course, whilst they continue to do that, then the incidents of stabbings will only get worse. How do you stop youngsters from nickin' the kitchen knives for 'protection'?

I fear for the survival of the human race. I think they will kill each other.

Hi ya, Gilly.

Yup Fall is taking over around here finally, as well.

Birds are migrating. A couple of days ago, a flight of Sandhill Cranes circled our house for several minutes before settling near Left Hand Creek. The first time I have seen them this close to town. And several flights of Canada Geese have passed by.

All the trees have turned and today's wind has cleaned most of them off.

We were hoping to be off to warmer climes before the cold sets in, but still sorting through all the medical stuff before the Mrs is cleared for travel.

We may find ourselves stuck in Colorado for another Winter.

Oh well. Life goes on, one way or another.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi there Lars, I do hope your good lady wife gets the 'all clear' so you can benefit from moving to warmer climes ! They do say that youth is wasted on the young, and it is Oh so true.

I used to look forward to winter and the snow, but now at my age I'm just hoping that winter will be a short one and we have an early spring. No more sledging down the local sloping field ! LOL
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I find it very depressing reading our local paper these days. There's a knifing just about every day now, and there doesn't seem to be an answer. If it was left to me I would bring back the birch straight away for people over 16 years old and the cane for 9 - 15 yrs inclusive. It is quite an 'off-puter' having pain administered. grrrrrrrrrrr
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

G#Gill;1521156 wrote: If it was left to me I would bring back the birch straight away for people over 16 years old and the cane for 9 - 15 yrs inclusive. It is quite an 'off-puter' having pain administered. grrrrrrrrrrr

And should the floggings be public ones? Thank goodness it is Not left to you. How about the pillories instead?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

That's the trouble really. Far to many people are being far too lenient with all this nastiness rearing it's ugly head. These youngsters know that they will not be dealt with too harshly. Don't you think it's time to say enough is enough ? The 'soft' touch has been tried and failed dreadfully. These youngsters are running riot, and they seem to not treat life seriously at all.

Have you got a solution to this ever worsening problem ? I would love to hear it Anne.

No floggings should not be public, otherwise the recipients would add it as a badge of achievement in front of their peers. As for the sarcastic comment about pillories, there again, that would be in public and not a good idea.

The Isle of Man, off the coast of the UK, have their own independent government and they used to have the birch and, if I remember rightly, there was only one person who came back for more ! So it was effective. However, they decided to not have the birch any more. Whether this will be a good idea, we no doubt will see.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1521161 wrote: That's the trouble really. Far to many people are being far too lenient with all this nastiness rearing it's ugly head. These youngsters know that they will not be dealt with too harshly. Don't you think it's time to say enough is enough ? The 'soft' touch has been tried and failed dreadfully. These youngsters are running riot, and they seem to not treat life seriously at all.

Have you got a solution to this ever worsening problem ? I would love to hear it Anne.

No floggings should not be public, otherwise the recipients would add it as a badge of achievement in front of their peers. As for the sarcastic comment about pillories, there again, that would be in public and not a good idea.

The Isle of Man, off the coast of the UK, have their own independent government and they used to have the birch and, if I remember rightly, there was only one person who came back for more ! So it was effective. However, they decided to not have the birch any more. Whether this will be a good idea, we no doubt will see.

Well, when I was young, the pain of corporal punishment didn't work as a deterrent to bad behavior. Of course Cat'o'nine and the like weren't on the list of options for school or parental correctional devices.

I suppose that had we been faced with being tied to the Wheel and flailed, we might have settled down a bit quicker.
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

LarsMac great post. We have known for a long time that those kinds of punishments do not work. Maybe in the odd case. Capital punishment does not work either. The example of this is in the middle ages most pick pocketing happenedd t the execution of those doing the picking. That did not stop that crime. It just gave them a venue for criminal activities. Even hang, draw and quarter did not work. It was not even useful to control the world's population crisis.. War hasn't worked either.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Ted;1521170 wrote: LarsMac great post. We have known for a long time that those kinds of punishments do not work. Maybe in the odd case. Capital punishment does not work either. The example of this is in the middle ages most pick pocketing happenedd t the execution of those doing the picking. That did not stop that crime. It just gave them a venue for criminal activities. Even hang, draw and quarter did not work. It was not even useful to control the world's population crisis.. War hasn't worked either.

In which case, you two, how about suggesting something which could work ????

Kid gloves doesn't work.

Physical punishment doesn't work, you say.

Religion isn't likely to work as most of these thugs couldn't care less about that.

Well, come on then, you must have a suggestion to offer up !
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

G#Gill;1521175 wrote: In which case, you two, how about suggesting something which could work ????

Kid gloves doesn't work.

Religion isn't likely to work as most of these thugs couldn't care less about that.

Sometimes, with some people, NOTHING works. So, there's no point in society losing it's own morality while dealing with them. Try killing them with kindness, see what that does as a first measure. Usually, there is a big lack of this in certain young lives.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1521175 wrote: In which case, you two, how about suggesting something which could work ????

Kid gloves doesn't work.

If there were easy answers, someone would have come up with them, by now.

I know that family can make a difference, but really giving the kids something constructive to do early on, and making sure they know that someone cares makes a big difference in how they see the world.

Look at what Saint's school can do for a lot of the kids where he lives. A lot of those kids probably thought nobody cared about them until they came to that school.

A lot of children out there, and even here where we live, miss out on the kind of attention that gets them a good start. Adults who care are the primary fix for kids that are out of control.

Well, that, and a lot of hard work.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac;1521163 wrote: Well, when I was young, the pain of corporal punishment didn't work as a deterrent to bad behavior. Of course Cat'o'nine and the like weren't on the list of options for school or parental correctional devices.

I suppose that had we been faced with being tied to the Wheel and flailed, we might have settled down a bit quicker.

one of my grandfathers suffered the lash...35 cat o nine.... for insubordination ...then I read on to how his life went. And now there is me. Don't talk to me about that ****. those who call for those sort of punishments are either psychopathic or under the influence of psychopaths. "/ˌɪnsəˌbɔːdɪˈneɪʃn/ noun noun: insubordination; plural noun: insubordinations defiance of authority; refusal to obey orders. "he was dismissed for insubordination" synonyms: disobedience, unruliness, waywardness, indiscipline, bad behaviour, misbehaviour, misconduct, delinquency, troublemaking;
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I would NEVER call for the return of the cat-o-nine-tails. That is so barbaric. I'll also thank you to not suggest that I am psychopathic. All I said was that corporal punishment should be brought back, namely the birch and the cane, and under strict supervision and that includes a doctor. As it seems that the 'soft touch' has failed, appealing to their better natures has failed (this affords the miscreants quite a lot of mirth). So suggest a solution that won't be laughed out of the building by these miscreants. I have made a suggestion but it seems that it would be a failure to have to resort to physical punishment, and that for me to suggest such measures puts me in the class of a psychopath. So you lot, WHAT'S THE ****** ANSWER ?
Ted

Post by Ted »

Shortly before we moved from eastern Canada to the west coast two punks invaded a rural home in which an elderly brother and sister (90s) were living These punks beat them withing an inch of their lives. It seems to me that this was a cased for the lash. Some of these punks at least deserve the lash. It seems that this is the only way to get through to these scum.. So I too would like to see the lash returned to the system.

Our next do neighbor very early in my life was a guard at the prison in Guelph. He was large but not a fat man. He was called upon the system to administer the lash. He laugha=laughed when he told me he never had on come back for seconds. Some whine about the dignity of the offenders. What about the dignity of an elderly brother and sister who almost died in this episode. In general I do not believe in corporal punishment but there are some times when it might be persuasive.
cars

Post by cars »

Punishment should be equal to the severity of the initial crime committed. The more severe the crime is, the harsher the punishment received should be! The end.
Cars :)
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

cars;1521255 wrote: Punishment should be equal to the severity of the initial crime committed. The more severe the crime is, the harsher the punishment received should be! The end.

What does harsher equate to in real life? Can you be more specific? Do you mean that a jail sentence should be longer depending on the crime committed or are you saying 'Eye for an eye' stuff?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1521261 wrote: What does harsher equate to in real life? Can you be more specific? Do you mean that a jail sentence should be longer depending on the crime committed or are you saying 'Eye for an eye' stuff?

I would like to offer my view on this.

To make punishment equal to the offense should be a goal. What that means is a social decision. With that said the eye for an eye is in my view a good place to start.

Of course, to take it literally cannot equal justice. If I poke somebodies eye out it causes some disability. If I have only one eye to take my remaining eye leaves me blind.

That is not equal justice. Same goes for any other bodily injury. Is the injury due to malice or accident? That should make a difference or so methinks.

Should there be punisment beyond making things equal and what should that be? That looks to me to be a societal decision.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I just want to say that I've been reading Gilly's thread from its inception, what 6-7 or more years ago? and I want to thank her for some very interesting reading!

I'm not ready to throw in my two cents on this present question--having been on the receiving and giving end of it. I will say that I am appalled and saddened at the lack of concern and feeling for atrocities that are so prevalent today.
cars

Post by cars »

AnneBoleyn;1521261 wrote: What does harsher equate to in real life? Can you be more specific? Do you mean that a jail sentence should be longer depending on the crime committed or are you saying 'Eye for an eye' stuff?

Yes, a heinous crime should be 25 years to life, and, if you kill me, mine (society) kill you! Simple. No need to spend $$$$$$$$$$$ on court costs!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

What if you/yours attacked me which resulted in their death?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
cars

Post by cars »

Ahso!;1521282 wrote: What if you/yours attacked me which resulted in their death?

Clarify
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I don't know how to be any more clear. You said if someone kills you or yours, you/ yours remaining alive kill the killer. My question is; what if it's self-defense?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

You might say (and I'm sure you'd be correct in reality) that there's no way anyone of "mine" would ever do anything that would cause their death in any justifiable self-defense claim. Of course, from an objective legal perspective, you'd be considered to have prejudice regarding the case and why we need a court system.

Has that legal system become expensive? Yes! But that capitalism for you and how the market works.

I've never been so unfortunate as to get caught up in that system or been treated unfairly by it, but then, that's because my fortune is that I'm the right color and gender.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Wow. This here Cafe don't seem so friendly, just now.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

Ahso!;1521285 wrote: I don't know how to be any more clear. You said if someone kills you or yours, you/ yours remaining alive kill the killer. My question is; what if it's self-defense?

It was not clear to me, thus the clarification. Of course it goes without having to say, the accused has to be guilty beyond the shadow of a doubt! Say like being caught in the act of a murder. Then in that case (society) kills that killer. Punishment to fit the crime!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1521287 wrote: Wow. This here Cafe don't seem so friendly, just now.What makes you say that?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

cars;1521288 wrote: It was not clear to me, thus the clarification. Of course it goes without having to say, the accused has to be guilty beyond the shadow of a doubt! Say like being caught in the act of a murder. Then in that case (society) kills that killer. Punishment to fit the crime!

It would be nice if any were that cut and dry.

I'd imagine that if I were to walk into a killing taking place my senses would become suspect. There'd be quite a bit of emotion and cloudy perception for me to be able to know what I saw convincingly. I think I would probably become physically defensive.

I'm not sure I'd be a reliable witness.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

If I were to see the last few seconds of a killing how would I know what transpired before then. Perhaps the killer was the intended victim and overcame the assailant.

Not a situation I'd want to get caught in as any party.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

cars;1521281 wrote: Yes, a heinous crime should be 25 years to life, and, if you kill me, mine (society) kill you! Simple. No need to spend $$$$$$$$$$$ on court costs!

No? Bring back Lynch Mobs? Forget the Constitutional Requirement for due process and a jury of one's peers?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1521287 wrote: Wow. This here Cafe don't seem so friendly, just now.

Nothing wrong with some friendly conversation, even if we all are not walking in lock step. We're getting to know each other. I'd call that friendly.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1521295 wrote: Nothing wrong with some friendly conversation, even if we all are not walking in lock step. We're getting to know each other. I'd call that friendly.

Perhaps I am over-exposed to the talk of dishing out punishment, these days.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

cars;1521288 wrote: It was not clear to me, thus the clarification. Of course it goes without having to say, the accused has to be guilty beyond the shadow of a doubt! Say like being caught in the act of a murder. Then in that case (society) kills that killer. Punishment to fit the crime!

In this country it is Reasonable doubt
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1521290 wrote: It would be nice if any were that cut and dry.

I'd imagine that if I were to walk into a killing taking place my senses would become suspect. There'd be quite a bit of emotion and cloudy perception for me to be able to know what I saw convincingly. I think I would probably become physically defensive.

I'm not sure I'd be a reliable witness.

That is a fair statement, one that might concern me. But then we are talking about a what if situation. I suspect it depends on what actually happened. In some cases, it may be very clear as to what just happened and others not so much. In any event, it takes a lot to hand over a most severe sentence to the accused.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

My object all sublime I shall achieve in time, To let the punishment fit the crime, The punishment fit the crime; And make each prisoner pent Unwillingly represent A source of innocent merriment, Of innocent merriment! (Mikado - Gilbert & Sullivan)
Ted

Post by Ted »

The second murder doesn't justify the first one.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh dear, this thread has become just a tad miserable innit? I shall change the subject forthwith.

Today I went to a get-together with my hubby, to have a good old chinwag about his childhood/youth/young adulthood with his surviving peers from his Sea Scout days. There are still quite a few 'old boys' who live in the area, and those who did not manage to make the meet, had moved away from the area, and some were abroad.

It was a most enjoyable day and the buffet was first class. The venue was the Riverside Café (pub) at Beeston, Nottingham. If anybody is in the area at any time, I do recommend a visit to this agreeable waterhole.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I missed Christmas wishes to everybody, on here, and I'm sorry about that. However I do hope everybody had a good one, and I wish you all an agreeable and healthy NEW YEAR ! 'Ere, still can't flippin' use me smileys. So wotz gwin on ?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Wow, innit quiet in 'ere eh ? Has everybody gorn to their flea pits? I suppose I could always talk to meself, cos I know I would get intelligent conversation LOL

I wish I was a little frog, life would be such a farce............

To climb upon the rocks and trees........ and slide down on my...............

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

.............. hands and knees !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well at least nobody's boring folk with talk of the flamin' BREXIT.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1521906 wrote: Well at least nobody's boring folk with talk of the flamin' BREXIT.

Well, we, on THIS side of The Pond, have our own [mis]adventure going on.

Has been a bit quiet around here of late.

I hope life is treating you well and hope your holidays were enjoyable.

Our Holidays were good, with the exception that Pitstop rather suddenly passed on after some as yet undefined malady.

- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Such a sweet face. So sorry, Lars.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh Lars, I'm sorry to hear about Pitstop. It is a fact that they do become family members and we feel that loosing them is like loosing a brother or sister or parent. Folk who have never had the joy of having such a companion, may not understand how pet owners feel about that. As Anne says (HI Anne), such a sweet face, and no doubt had a sweet nature too. Bless them all.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Hi, Gill!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1521908 wrote: Well, we, on THIS side of The Pond, have our own [mis]adventure going on.

Has been a bit quiet around here of late.

I hope life is treating you well and hope your holidays were enjoyable.

Our Holidays were good, with the exception that Pitstop rather suddenly passed on after some as yet undefined malady.

Sorry for your loss.
cars

Post by cars »

Sorry for your furry family member loss Lars, it hurts just as much.

Return to “General Chit Chat”