Random Thoughts

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Wandrin

Random Thoughts

Post by Wandrin »

It was a beautiful day. I was sitting outside on the patio enjoying a quiet cup of coffee when a mockingbird started up in a tree on one side of the yard. It was annoying. Still, I tried to enjoy my coffee. Then another mockingbird started up on the other side. They didn't take turns, they tried to drown each other out. It was very very annoying.

I was about the give up and go inside, when there was sudden blissful silence. It wasn't just the mockingbirds who fell silent, it was everything including squirrels. From experience, I knew that there was only one reason for that. I looked, and up in the highest tree, I could see the hawk. I was very thankful and quietly enjoyed the rest of my coffee.
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

I really enjoy listening to Mockingbirds. I miss them around here.

While I was in Las Vegas for work back in March, there was one hanging out in the trees near my hotel. I enjoyed my morning coffee sitting out on the patio, listening to his song.

I never knew they were out in the Southwest.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Random Thoughts

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1520859 wrote: I really enjoy listening to Mockingbirds. I miss them around here.

While I was in Las Vegas for work back in March, there was one hanging out in the trees near my hotel. I enjoyed my morning coffee sitting out on the patio, listening to his song.

I never knew they were out in the Southwest.

During mating season, they can be a bit obnoxious, going 24 hours per day (if they are the also-rans). I did a contract at a nearby city where they used artificial ponds as part of the A/C system and all sorts of waterfowl living there. I laughed out loud on the walk to the office when a mockingbird was going through his repertoire and there was a "ribbit" in the middle of it. I've never heard that before or since.
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1520860 wrote: During mating season, they can be a bit obnoxious, going 24 hours per day (if they are the also-rans). I did a contract at a nearby city where they used artificial ponds as part of the A/C system and all sorts of waterfowl living there. I laughed out loud on the walk to the office when a mockingbird was going through his repertoire and there was a "ribbit" in the middle of it. I've never heard that before or since.

The little oddities are the things that make life worth living, I think.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Random Thoughts

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1520861 wrote: The little oddities are the things that make life worth living, I think.

I agree. They certainly make it more interesting.
Patsy Warnick

Random Thoughts

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Wandrin

was that your 1st cup of coffee? LOL

I have a lot of wild life - the other evening (dusk) a large owl flew over my pool and landed on my fence - very cool. When the Quail take off there's a hawk near. I have hawk families - often I'll go to my patio and a hawk or 2 or more are on my fence - wires - waiting & perched to grab a rabbit - very cool to watch. I also have many coyotes up & down the golf course. I don't see Road Runners like I use to.

Patsy
Wandrin

Random Thoughts

Post by Wandrin »

Patsy Warnick;1520877 wrote: Wandrin

was that your 1st cup of coffee? LOL

I have a lot of wild life - the other evening (dusk) a large owl flew over my pool and landed on my fence - very cool. When the Quail take off there's a hawk near. I have hawk families - often I'll go to my patio and a hawk or 2 or more are on my fence - wires - waiting & perched to grab a rabbit - very cool to watch. I also have many coyotes up & down the golf course. I don't see Road Runners like I use to.

Patsy

No, thankfully, it wasn't the first cup. In fact if was afternoon and I sweetened the coffee with a little Baileys. That should have made the annoyance easier to tolerate.

I get a few flocks of geese in the morning, on their way from their safe overnight spots to the feeding grounds, and then they will return in the evening. The local hawks live in the two tall redwoods a couple of houses down. There is plenty of potential food for them since the whole neighborhood was nothing but orchards until the '50s. Lots of opossums and rac****s, among others.

I enjoy most of the birds, except when a loud group of crows stops by, but nothing is as annoying as the last few desperate mockingbirds during mating season. Those guys can go 24 hours per day.
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

I enjoy the birds around the farm, here.

We have several Red-tailed Hawks, and a family of Great Horned Owls. The Mrs is worried about letting Pitstop out unattended because of the hawks, but I don't think they are interested in her. She's as big as they are.

The Owls, even larger, still have plenty of easy prey in the dozens of small rabbits and other rodents in the fields around us.

I've become fascinated with the American Robins that frequent the area.

They come around the water dish every morning, five to eight of them. They gather around and take turns drinking the water while others post a watch.

If I let the water dish get to low, they will line up along the fence and stare at me when Pitstop and I come out for our morning stretch.

They are actually quite aggressive in defending their territory. I've watched them run a flock of Blackbirds off, and woe to the Blue Jay or squirrel that gets too close.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Random Thoughts

Post by Patsy Warnick »

One of my neighbors across the golf course came out with a rifle because the Hawks were perched around his patio. He had a small puppy at the time. The old fart was going to start shooting until he saw me..

Around here you'll see signs missing dog - well the coyotes aren't starving - hawks are large - I wonder where my puppy went..

I love all the wild life here.

Now the Mockingbirds!! I had one all night long - very annoying.

My baby quail are a hoot - smaller than a golf ball..

Patsy
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

Patsy Warnick;1520889 wrote: One of my neighbors across the golf course came out with a rifle because the Hawks were perched around his patio. He had a small puppy at the time. The old fart was going to start shooting until he saw me..

Around here you'll see signs missing dog - well the coyotes aren't starving - hawks are large - I wonder where my puppy went..

I love all the wild life here.

Now the Mockingbirds!! I had one all night long - very annoying.

My baby quail are a hoot - smaller than a golf ball..

Patsy

Most of the Hawks we have around here are maybe 3 lb max. A 7-9 pound dog would be quite a load for them to fly off with.

Coyotes, on the other hand, yeah we have a family of them around here, too.

I won't let Pitstop out alone at night because of them.

They are the likely culprits with most dog and cat disappearances.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Random Thoughts

Post by Patsy Warnick »

My friend has a doggy door - her yard is fully fenced (Block wall).

Coyotes climbed the wall & killed her dog.

I watched a hawk swoop down grab a rabbit & then sat on my fence. hawk had the rabbit it it's talon and started plucking the fur off.

The hawk then tried to fly up to the fir tree but couldn't carry the rabbit. Other hawks help get the rabbit to the fir tree.

Then all the hawks started to pluck the fur - it looked like it was snowing. very cool

Patsy
Wandrin

Random Thoughts

Post by Wandrin »

The robins are migratory around here. They should show up some time in the next month or so. They like their little group and tend to hang out together, hitting the water dish and scratching at pecking in the yard.

While most of the hawks are year round, there is a big guy that comes in in the fall. As I understand it, these guys summer in the Rockies and head west for the winter. It is easy to spot them since they have such a wide wingspan. Oh, and they have feathered legs.

While we have coyotes, most don't venture quite this far down. I live about a mile or so from the foothills and there are a lot of easy pickin's closer to their home. Although there are many creeks with preserved space around them that are home to coyotes and feral cats. Some of those feral cats can be pretty nasty.

It has always been interesting to me to notice the bird migrations. Some species come in as a flock and then go their separate ways until it's time to go. Some are very social and hang out together, and some take it to the extreme doing everything as a group that is only separated by inches.

It's gonna sound crazy but the Orioles drive me nuts. They are beautiful to look at, but they show up during the season when I have to put out the hummingbird feeder. They are the only larger birds I have seen whose tongue is the right size and length to raid the hummingbird feeder. Those Orioles and suck a feeder dry in a day or two.
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

Our Robins show up around March or April, nest and hatch young'uns and then disappear during the heat if June - August. Then show up again when the weather cools in late summer. Then they come and go with the weather. We must be on the very edge of their favorite range. We won't see them around through the Extreme cold in January-February, but a warming cycle will bring them around. then next snowfall, they vanish.

When we lived in Port St Lucie, we only saw them for a week or so in late fall, as they headed south, and a week or so in late Spring when they headed north. They came through by the thousands.

Right now, the Canada Geese and cranes are beginning their migrations.

I plan to drive up to Nebraska and try to get some pics of the Sandhills and Whooping Cranes.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Random Thoughts

Post by gmc »

You've no idea how exotic that all sounds. I've never heard or seen a mocking jay the biggest wild canine round here are foxes and they hunt alone. Met a vixen with two cubs out walking one night, had a pub with me and it looked like they were going to play together till my other dog spotted the. Biggest bird of prey is a buzzard - have seen golden eagles but the gamekeepers on the shooting estate keep killing them and deny all responsibility - even though they are fitted with satellite trackers that suddenly stop working on their estate. The number of birds (or as we say burds) has declined noticeably over the years.

"One of my neighbors across the golf course came out with a rifle because the Hawks were perched around his patio. He had a small puppy at the time. "

Ah what different countries we live in - If one of my neighbours appeared with a rifle at his door there would be an armed response team on it's way as soon as someone could call the police and he'd be nicked at the very least.
Patsy Warnick

Random Thoughts

Post by Patsy Warnick »

gmc

My neighbor held that rifle up - OMG - it's pointed at me actually. I ran & screamed at my hubby ( hubby has played golf with him several times) - neighbor tried to hide the rifle and put it away. Hide - meaning it was along side of him. I said - he's trying to make me look like I'm nuts. just put your dog inside. There were @ 3 large hawks perched at the time - I'm sure the old fart neighbor was a good aim.... LOL that's why I ran...

Don't get me started on my Hummingbirds - I have @ 15 feeders through out my yard. 3 feeders in my kitchen window - they're busy all day long.. Beautiful...

I had a group on my patio - my Nephew & I were in the yard and hummingbirds were around.

I told my Nephew to stand still and this one you'll be able to touch/pet... YES My nephew & I both were able to touch/pet the hummingbird..

The group of friends went wild... amazing

Patsy
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

Last night, I took Pitstop out for her evening constitutional. I immediately heard the calling of an Owl. hoo-h-hoo, hooo, hooo.

Then an answer from another across the field, and then a third. The first one was up in the big Locust over our driveway, very close.

I listened as they called back and forth several times.

I decided to join the conversation. It took a couple of tries, but it really isn't a hard call to mimic.

After the third or fourth try, I got a reply from them. All three started to answer me. After a few times, the one in the tree decided to come down closer to get a look at this interloper. He (she?) came out of the tree and perched on the edge of the roof of the garage.

Beautiful in the porch light. Another call from this one, and I answered. She gave off another, slightly different call, and flew off. Her next call was from across the field in an old Cottonwood. I could hear the others answering her call, all of them now off in the distance.

Wonder if they'll be back tonight.
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Random Thoughts

Post by Clodhopper »

You have amazing wildlife there! Hummingbirds and Orioles! (jealous!)

I'm wondering if the hawks you saw that co-operated to lift the rabbit into the tree and pluck it were Harris Hawks, which iirc are the only hawks that co-operate in groups and I think are native to you...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Did you ever wonder, Should "electronic devices" fly when you put them in "Airplane Mode"? :)
Cars :)
Annecole

Random Thoughts

Post by Annecole »

I love to see birds and enjoy their singing. It freshens up my mood.
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

No One ever said it was going to be easy!
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

Being in a 30 foot motor home is not particularly comfortable during Sub-tropical thunderstorms.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

LarsMac;1523327 wrote: Being in a 30 foot motor home is not particularly comfortable during Sub-tropical thunderstorms.

Things could have been worse, it could have been a 20 foot motor home! :)
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

cars;1523337 wrote: Things could have been worse, it could have been a 20 foot motor home! :)

Good point.

It did not help my case when I was telling the wife we were perfectly safe here and the T'storm would pass without a problem, and just then the news posted that the two Giraffes that died over at Lion Country Safari last month were killed by lightning. That was about 100 yards or so from our pad.
- DH Lawrence
minks

Random Thoughts

Post by minks »

here is something weird and random....

Our PM is a first class retard. Ok that aside...

with all this concern about plastic pollution... we can mass produce compostable bags for our compost, why can't we produce food grade, compostable cups, lids, straws, containers etc???

Just like cancer, we know there is a cure but governments do not want healthy people or a healthy planet me thinks.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Ever Notice, Everything that Really matters, Requires Risk!
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Be sincere, whether you mean it or not! :)
magentaflame

Random Thoughts

Post by magentaflame »

25 gram pkt of tobacco. box of tally ho papers. pkt of micro filters...lasts three to four days. $38 dollars

One vile of nicorette mouth spray . Lasts day and half. $40
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Tobacco is a curse, in more ways than one.
G#Gill

Random Thoughts

Post by G#Gill »

I never thought I would give up smoking. But I am so glad I managed it 9 years ago! I decided, one day, that I would do it, so I just stopped smoking! I didn't use these revolting nicorette thingies because I reckoned that I would have to go through the whole 'giving up' effort all over again when I needed to come off the nicorettes !

I used to roll my own, so I kept some rolling tobacco, papers, filters and a lighter, in a small tin that I carried around with me everywhere I went. You see I knew I would get pangs and that if I had the makings of a cigarette, I would not be whittling about getting a cigarette as I could have one at any time if I really couldn't stand the pangs.

Strangely, this worked well and I never did succumb to the temptation of lighting up another cigarette. The stuff was there if I was desperate, and that gave me a strange comfort, and I did not smoke another cigarette. I went 'cold turkey' and I managed to give up smoking doing that. That was 9 years ago in 2010 and I'm so glad I did it !

I started smoking when I was in my teens and my pals kept on at me to 'have a smoke', so eventually I did. In those days the only 'anti' about smoking cigarettes was the fact that if you did sports it cut down on your breathing ! Nowt about cancer!

It does make me despair these days when there is so much publicity about the damage that smoking can do to people, and still youngsters are chuffin' away at their roll-ups (which may or may not have cannabis in them), with the inevitable "it won't happen to me" attitude. It is so sad. It is so addictive and it is so terribly expensive now. If I had kept smoking, I would now be paying out around £70 per week !!!!!!! Or £3,640 per year !!!!! Well that has well and truly paid for the alterations and refurbishment of our downstairs 'loo'. I rest my case. I would, also probably be on my last legs with regards to the destruction of my lungs.

I just wish I could go up to these youngsters, with their cigarettes hangin' out of their mouths, and persuade them to give it up. But all I'd probably get would be "Oh F off you stupid owd cow" - nuff sedd !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

There are cultures where the youngsters "revere" their Seniors, and learn from and respect their wisdom. Not so much here in the USA!
Ahso!

Random Thoughts

Post by Ahso! »

cars;1523460 wrote: There are cultures where the youngsters "revere" their Seniors, and learn from and respect their wisdom. Not so much here in the USA!

Perhaps some of them think it could get them elected President or some other political office or appointment. It's definitely a sign of successful future capitalists. All from the most Christian nation on the planet too.

God's Blessing America, right?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Random Thoughts

Post by Ahso! »

BTW - I agree with you.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Damaged Goods, can sometimes be more valuable because of their unique quality!
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Can't help but wonder, if Trump can still get himself re-elected after all the commotion he seems to cause on a daily basis. Many of his followers remain loyal, but will the numbers still willing to vote for him be enough to get him re-elected? I think/feel many of his followers may jump ship and vote democrat. What do you think?
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Ever notice that you eat a Pizza from the inside out? :)
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

Are people in the Northeast US more rude and pushy, or does the sheer number of people in the area just increase the odds of running into more rude and pushy people?
- DH Lawrence
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1523714 wrote: does the sheer number of people in the area just increase the odds of running into more rude and pushy people?

I'm baffled. The population density of Maine is 44 per square mile, the figure for the whole of England is 1100. Even Cornwall (which is practically empty of people, being just wild moorland with a single two-lane road running the length of it and the occasional hamlet) has ten times the population density of Maine.

As an aside, Anchorage Airport reached 90°F on Independence Day.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

California had a 6.4 earthquake yesterday, and a "7.1" quake this morning!!! Is the feared "Big One" next? Hope not!
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

How far out from an epicenter does deadly structural damage reach in a huge earthquake? Ten square miles perhaps as a generous guess? The state has 163,696 square miles, I reckon if you get the biggest quake in US history it's only a one in ten thousand chance it will generate a large death toll. The cost to insurers might be immense but that's why we detest insurers - they make a profit regardless.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1523719 wrote: I'm baffled. The population density of Maine is 44 per square mile, the figure for the whole of England is 1100. Even Cornwall (which is practically empty of people, being just wild moorland with a single two-lane road running the length of it and the occasional hamlet) has ten times the population density of Maine.

As an aside, Anchorage Airport reached 90°F on Independence Day.

Maine is the least densely populated of the New England States, and probably of the entire Northeastern group of states.

Maine Population Density

US Density by state
- DH Lawrence
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Ever wonder, What does your mirror look like when you're not looking at it?
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Can't help but wonder, will there be "4 more years" of the Donald? :(
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

How often does an incumbent fail to get a second term?
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

I've talked to many people who voted for him, and are now saying they won't again!
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1523876 wrote: How often does an incumbent fail to get a second term?

In recent times, two. Carter and HW Bush.

Three, if you count Ford, who was not elected in the first place.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1523880 wrote: In recent times, two. Carter and HW Bush.

Three, if you count Ford, who was not elected in the first place.

If you have to go back that far I fear you make my point for me.
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

It's a good idea to marry somebody that can cook, cause good looks eventually go away, hunger doesn't! :)
Ahso!

Random Thoughts

Post by Ahso! »

cars;1523879 wrote: I've talked to many people who voted for him, and are now saying they won't again!

He lost the election by upwards of 14 million votes (that's 14,000,000+ votes for those who count zeros), so unless the voters who change their minds live in a handful of states that gave Trump the electoral win, it meaningless, as 14 million people will tell you.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1523916 wrote: He lost the election by upwards of 14 million votes (that's 14,000,000+ votes for those who count zeros), so unless the voters who change their minds live in a handful of states that gave Trump the electoral win, it meaningless, as 14 million people will tell you.

the margin was more like 2.8 million. still plenty of zeros for ya.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Random Thoughts

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1523917 wrote: the margin was more like 2.8 million. still plenty of zeros for ya.

Oops! My bad! The 14 million vote difference was in California.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “General Chit Chat”