Random Thoughts

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
AlexCaro

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by AlexCaro »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:14 am
AlexCaro wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:12 pm Have you ever wondered how your voice sounds to other people?
Yes, and having heard recordings I hate it.
But the person, who is listening recordings is you. Maybe it's still not your real voice, how others can hear it.
The most interesting thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything, it's too late to stop reading it. :D
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AlexCaro wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:52 pm
Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:14 am
AlexCaro wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:12 pm Have you ever wondered how your voice sounds to other people?
Yes, and having heard recordings I hate it.
But the person, who is listening recordings is you. Maybe it's still not your real voice, how others can hear it.
That's possible.

I know that the recording is closer to how others hear me but I guess everyone will hear it differently.

On the other hand, how do I know there's anyone else to hear me at all :-)
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:11 pm I know that the recording is closer to how others hear me but I guess everyone will hear it differently.
A brief note for posterity - your voice is that of a pre-war stage actor at a casting call for The Forsyte Saga back in 1968 or so, where the first series had those gatherings of interminable uncles and Soames hadn't yet met Irene. Well to do and leisured, with no hint of the vile Estuarine Fallen English that marked the arrival of Thatcher's Children. It is a voice tanned with decades of tea and a command of consonants. It is a voice which should hire itself out for audio-books at the same rate as Stephen Fry.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I've always hated the sound of my voice on recordings. To me it doesn't sound like it sounds to me when I'm speaking. I've always wondering which one is my true voice the one I hear when I speak or the one on the recording. People tell me I have a great speaking voice for speeches and that sort, one person told me I have a radio announcers voice. My son and I have been involved in 13 plays so far at the local community theater, they give us a copy of the recording they make of each of them but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch any of them yet! :shock:
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Occasionally we have to listen through call recordings for Quality Assurance Coaching Sessions. It's a horrible experience.
cars

Post by cars »

It's tough setting the proper time zone, finally got it!
Cars :)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:15 pm It's tough setting the proper time zone, finally got it!
how can you be in the same day I am?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:35 am
cars wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:15 pm It's tough setting the proper time zone, finally got it!
???
I set the time yesterday for 8:15 pm , which was September 7th. Today is 4:41 my time now, here on September 8th.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:41 pm
magentaflame wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:35 am
???
I set the time yesterday for 8:15 pm , which was September 7th. Today is 4:41 my time now, here on September 8th.
By the time we get to the day she is on, Mag's almost to the next day. :)
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

TEST

Date/Time S/B: 9-8-2020 7:54pm
spot

Post by spot »

Unread post by cars » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:54 am
TEST

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well today was a bit strange.
Yesterday we had a high of 98 f and today we are now at 28 f
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

You know those long grey thick under-trouser breeches people get sewn into each winter in northern parts? You need to order a pair per person plus one for visitors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283995791094
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392222475618
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Today was only the second time that I have shoveled snow in September.
The good news is that I have discovered where I will most likely need to have ice melt and snow removal tools readily accessible this winter.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:49 am Today was only the second time that I have shoveled snow in September.
The good news is that I have discovered where I will most likely need to have ice melt and snow removal tools readily accessible this winter.
WHAT, SNOW shoveling in September? Outrageous! Earliest I ever had to shovel SNOW was in October.

In NE, back in October 2010, We had a monster SNOW storm that was "16" of "wet heavy" wind driven SNOW, that landed on the trees that still had all their leaves on their branches!
Every tree on our property, some "60" feet tall snapped in half from all the extra SNOW weight on the branches. What a desasterous mess, that had to be cleaned up by a tree removal company!
That's why we spend the winter in FL, and summers back in NE, cause it's too damn HOT & Humid here in FL June through end of October. As we have been suffering through this year, due to
being stuck here in Fl those H & H months, due to Covid-19!!
cars

Post by cars »

cars wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:54 pm TEST

Oops, forget it!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:07 pm
LarsMac wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:49 am Today was only the second time that I have shoveled snow in September.
WHAT, SNOW shoveling in September? Outrageous! Earliest I ever had to shovel SNOW was in October.

In NE, back in October 2010, We had a monster SNOW storm that was "16" of "wet heavy" wind driven SNOW, that landed on the trees that still had all their leaves on their branches!
Every tree on our property, some "60" feet tall snapped in half from all the extra SNOW weight on the branches. What a desasterous mess, that had to be cleaned up by a tree removal company!
That's why we spend the winter in FL, and summers back in NE, cause it's too damn HOT & Humid here in FL June through end of October. As we have been suffering through this year, due to
being stuck here in Fl those H & H months, due to Covid-19!!
When I was young, I didn't mind Summers in Florida, except for September-October. Those are dreadful months in Florida.
After several years in the Rockies, I don't much care for Summer below 5000 feet.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

Did you ever wonder,

Why when people ask you “what three things would you bring with you on a deserted island?” No one ever replies, “A BOAT”? :)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:53 pm Did you ever wonder,

Why when people ask you “what three things would you bring with you on a deserted island?” No one ever replies, “A BOAT”? :)
Do you have Desert Island Disks in America or is that a peculiarity of BBC Radio 4?

The means of escape are not allowed on DID.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:49 pm
cars wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:53 pm Did you ever wonder,

Do you have Desert Island Disks in America or is that a peculiarity of BBC Radio 4?

The means of escape are not allowed on DID.
I doubt it's been broadcast there.

A description might help. It's a half hour program where an interviewer discusses biographical details with a guest, very informally. It's a bit like a good-cop interrogation at a police station. The breathing spells consist of eight snippets of music chosen beforehand by the interviewee. The self-exposure can be astonishing on occasion, when a program works well.

It started being broadcast in 1942, stopped after the war for around 6 years and hasn't had a gap since. I think they've used up five interviewers so far. There's a series of a dozen or so programs at a time, two series a year.

The relevance to the initial question is that the guest is offered, at the end, a choice of luxury item to take to a desert island, with the proviso that there's already a bible and the works of Shakespeare in the arrival bag. Some people take a piano, for example. The rule relates to utility - the luxury item "must be inanimate and of no use in escaping the island or allowing communication from outside".

The first four interviewers were among the best the BBC has ever employed. The new replacement is still finding her feet, it's been a bit crank-the-handle since Sue Lawley took sick leave. When the format works, the guest is never quite seen in the same light afterwards. No interviewed musician, for example, could select eight tracks of their own performance without leaving an indelible mark on their record - the nation talks of little else for weeks after when that happens.

Being invited has grown to be seen as an accolade, on a scale with honorary doctorates.

"singer Engelbert Humperdinck chose his own autobiography as his book"

"possibly the R4 producers have kindly resisted sports bods since, years ago, the driver Jim Clark chose as his book his own (ghosted) autobiography, or after horseman Harvey Smith declined to take any book at all on the grounds that he'd never, ever, read one" - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2004/ ... ll.comment

- and I hope people see an ideal instance of "read" corrupting that last sentence, depending on whether it's red as past or present tense. Totally different meaning.
cars

Post by cars »

Actually, the question was a part of "joke" here in the USA, It has nothing to do with any kind of program. Forgot, things internationally like on here, can have different meanings! :lol:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

A hopeful thought:
With all the social distancing, and COVID precautions, the coming "Flu season" could be a bit milder than some of the previous seasons on record.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Hmmm, one week in of the return to school and half the kids are off sick with colds.

Stay away from school and college kids.

I had hoped bugs and virus's wouldn't be so bad on their return given they are operating in small bubbles. HA silly me, over 90 kids in my son's bubble!
spot

Post by spot »

If you make up your own smilies they might turn into picture ones.

Like [:-)
spot

Post by spot »

Bah. Well it might have done. That's me wearing headphones.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

On Desert Island Discs, one of the things I'd want to take is a Record Player. What's the point of the discs without one?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:21 pm On Desert Island Discs, one of the things I'd want to take is a Record Player. What's the point of the discs without one?
Would my cd collection and a CD player count as two luxuries?
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

spot wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:52 am If you make up your own smilies they might turn into picture ones.

Like [:-)
Fine... =^..^=
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

oh no! are the smileys gone again! :cry: no mine are working :D
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

ARRGGHHHHHHH BLEDDY PRINTERS
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

With all the masking, and social distancing, We should expect, perhaps, relatively lower numbers on the Influenza cases this coming season.

My Gramma always told us to keep on the sunny side.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Oh Vienna.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Post by cars »

Saw a bumper sticker today, it said:

LIFE IS BETTER IN FLIP FLOPS
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:53 pm A hopeful thought:
With all the social distancing, and COVID precautions, the coming "Flu season" could be a bit milder than some of the previous seasons on record.
I don't think we even had a flu season last year. I hope they keep the sanitizer stuff in place for another year...might teach people how easy it is to avoid the flu?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:19 pm Saw a bumper sticker today, it said:

Thongs. Until you hit a wet spot and go arse over tit.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I finally located mine!!!
They were in a box that got packed when we left Florida in 2006, and had not opened since.

Got to wear them around the farm the other day before this blizzard rolled in.
I feel so much better, now.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:34 pm

They were in a box that got packed when we left Florida in 2006, and had not opened since.

You wore things around a farm? No snakes?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 pm

We've seen a few snakes in the Summer, but they are Garters Rats and the like. There might be a few Rattlers in the neighborhood, but all of them are still hibernating. It will take a few weeks of 50's or so for them to start venturing out.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

I used to wear Flips Flops here in SNAKEland (I HATE SNAKES) years ago, until one day I was watering some hanging potted flowers when I felt a terrible
burning stinging on my toes! I look down, and I see I'm standing on a nasty "Fire Ant" mound, and hundreds of Ants are dining on my foot! That was a bad day!
Since then, I wear closed sneakers and low rider socks.
spot

Post by spot »

cars wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:36 pm

I used to wear Flips Flops here in SNAKEland (I HATE SNAKES) years ago, until one day I was watering some hanging potted flowers when I felt a terrible
burning stinging on my toes! I look down, and I see I'm standing on a nasty "Fire Ant" mound, and hundreds of Ants are dining on my foot! That was a bad day!
No no no - definitely not to be worn. Not whatever the circumstance, indoor or outdoor, regardless of the weather.

I once spent several weeks wandering around Malaysia and Thailand in knee length leather boots. And, admittedly, knee length shorts. I may have had the occasional odd look, I didn't notice, but nothing bit me.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:00 pm
cars wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:36 pm

No no no - definitely not to be worn. Not whatever the circumstance, indoor or outdoor, regardless of the weather.

I once spent several weeks wandering around Malaysia and Thailand in knee length leather boots. And, admittedly, knee length shorts. I may have had the occasional odd look, I didn't notice, but nothing bit me.
I thought the idea in those climes was to wear puttees?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

After High School, I hitchhiked from Florida to LA and back wearing Flip Flops.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Sun comes out, flip flops on. Autumn comes and boots go back on. I don't own any shoes.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:59 am After High School, I hitchhiked from Florida to LA and back wearing Flip Flops.
The trip of a lifetime, how long did it take you?

I bet the man that returned was very different to the lad who set out.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:35 am
LarsMac wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:59 am After High School, I hitchhiked from Florida to LA and back wearing Flip Flops.
The trip of a lifetime, how long did it take you?

I bet the man that returned was very different to the lad who set out.
A buddy and I made the trip.
We were off to try Surfing in the California waters. We left with about 40 bucks between us.
We made it to Malibu in 12 days. Then up the 1 to Santa Cruz in another week.
The trip back took almost a month. We made a lot of side trips. I went through four pairs of Flip flops on the trip, and got back just in time for my enlistment in the Navy.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

I had a good Idea.

I changed my password to "incorrect".

So whenever I forget what it is, the computer

will say: Your password is "incorrect". :lol:
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:48 pm I had a good Idea.

That's funny!

I had a thought today.... which kind of peanut do they use to make peanut butter?

I don't know why that popped into my head.
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:30 am

That's funny!

I had a thought today.... which kind of peanut do they use to make peanut butter?

I found this interesting:

Types of Peanuts

Peanuts belong to the legume family. Legumes are edible seeds enclosed in pods.

This group provides the best source of concentrated protein in the plant kingdom. Types of peanuts include Virginias, Runners (including Florunners), Spanish and Valenica. Although any of these types of peanuts could be ground into a nut butter, florunners are most commonly found in the peanut butter jars on your grocers' shelves. The florunner variety was introduced in the 1970s and was responsible for an enormous increase in peanut yields, according to the American Peanut Council. The florunner is a variety of the Runner, having a medium-sized kernel and producing a consistently large yield. These characteristics caused it to become the dominant peanut type grown in the United States (80 percent), with 54 percent being used for peanut butter.

Spanish are small peanuts with reddish-brown skin that have a higher oil content and are processed for peanut oil and sometimes peanut butter. Valencia contain 3-4 small kernels in a long shell and are popularly sold roasted in the shell. Virginia peanuts have large kernels and are typically processed as cocktail nuts. All types of peanuts can be bought raw or roasted in bulk, so you can experiment with the different flavors and textures of the different varieties.
spot

Post by spot »

And I learned this week that the shell of the pistachio was originally dyed to disguise bruises acquired when picked, but now to conform with user expectation.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:33 am
magentaflame wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:30 am

That's funny!

I found this interesting:

Types of Peanuts

Peanuts belong to the legume family. Legumes are edible seeds enclosed in pods.

This group provides the best source of concentrated protein in the plant kingdom. Types of peanuts include Virginias, Runners (including Florunners), Spanish and Valenica. Although any of these types of peanuts could be ground into a nut butter, florunners are most commonly found in the peanut butter jars on your grocers' shelves. The florunner variety was introduced in the 1970s and was responsible for an enormous increase in peanut yields, according to the American Peanut Council. The florunner is a variety of the Runner, having a medium-sized kernel and producing a consistently large yield. These characteristics caused it to become the dominant peanut type grown in the United States (80 percent), with 54 percent being used for peanut butter.

Spanish are small peanuts with reddish-brown skin that have a higher oil content and are processed for peanut oil and sometimes peanut butter. Valencia contain 3-4 small kernels in a long shell and are popularly sold roasted in the shell. Virginia peanuts have large kernels and are typically processed as cocktail nuts. All types of peanuts can be bought raw or roasted in bulk, so you can experiment with the different flavors and textures of the different varieties.
Thank you Cars
I learnt something interesting that I had know idea about before I heard it on the radio not long after I wrote that post. In some parts of Australia they've never called it Peanut butter....it's always been peanut paste. I'd never heard of peanut paste before. My first encounter with peanut butter was at a farmers market where it was farm butter and peanuts put together in a jar. It was awesome! So creamy and nice. But I hear that peanut butter is not made with butter??????? Interesting. I think I'll make my own with butter from now on .

Return to “General Chit Chat”