Solar Farms; How Do You Fight Them?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

So We have had a situation that we have been fighting for a couple of years. The people who own the property around ours have made a deal with a solar company to put in a solar farm. 960 acres and it will surround us on 3 sides. we live on a gravel road and there is only one way in and out from our house. It will be like living in the middle of an industrial sight.

I spoke at all the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors meetings. I told them about all the research I had done on large solar farms, how they might increase the temperature, and decrease rainfall, some even say it can make people sick as well as ruining our property values. I felt like I was talking to a brick wall, they paid no attention to any of us.

A group of us from the neighborhood took out an injunction and stopped them for a while. But when it came time for the hearing our lawyer totally bombed. Now I can't find another lawyer to take the case.

Recently they came in and did a little work for around a week. I that weeks time they tore down the electric wires and cut off our electricity, drove machinery that has tracks instead of wheels up and down the road and tore up the road, roaring around with large machinery up and down by our house, my husband works at night and has to try and sleep in the daytime. and every time I drove up or down the road I had to stop and wait for them to move machinery or trucks that were sitting in the middle of the road.

and that was for just one week I dread when they get in here full time.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Hope6;1531665 wrote: So We have had a situation that we have been fighting for a couple of years. The people who own the property around ours have made a deal with a solar company to put in a solar farm. 960 acres and it will surround us on 3 sides. we live on a gravel road and there is only one way in and out from our house. It will be like living in the middle of an industrial sight.

I spoke at all the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors meetings. I told them about all the research I had done on large solar farms, how they might increase the temperature, and decrease rainfall, some even say it can make people sick as well as ruining our property values. I felt like I was talking to a brick wall, they paid no attention to any of us.

A group of us from the neighborhood took out an injunction and stopped them for a while. But when it came time for the hearing our lawyer totally bombed. Now I can't find another lawyer to take the case.

Recently they came in and did a little work for around a week. I that weeks time they tore down the electric wires and cut off our electricity, drove machinery that has tracks instead of wheels up and down the road and tore up the road, roaring around with large machinery up and down by our house, my husband works at night and has to try and sleep in the daytime. and every time I drove up or down the road I had to stop and wait for them to move machinery or trucks that were sitting in the middle of the road.

Over here you could go for compensation for loss of property value, if it’s a private road you could go for criminal damage but apart from that all I can see is trying to get the planning permission overturned.
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6;1531665 wrote: Recently they came in and did a little work for around a week.
It sounds like they're trying to force you to sell so they can fill in the missing piece of their scheme.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Bryn Mawr;1531670 wrote: Over here you could go for compensation for loss of property value, if it’s a private road you could go for criminal damage but apart from that all I can see is trying to get the planning permission overturned.

Hi Bryn. Problem is they claim that solar farms don't cause any loss to property value and they claim to have done a study on the matter and the board of supervisors believed every thing they said. Also it's a state road, not a private one.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot;1531676 wrote: It sounds like they're trying to force you to sell so they can fill in the missing piece of their scheme.

Well the people who own the land have been buying up everything in the area that comes up for sale.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Hope6;1531665 wrote: So We have had a situation that we have been fighting for a couple of years. The people who own the property around ours have made a deal with a solar company to put in a solar farm. 960 acres and it will surround us on 3 sides. we live on a gravel road and there is only one way in and out from our house. It will be like living in the middle of an industrial sight.

which union is attached to the company? Ring the union that covers their industry and see what they can do for you . You may not be able to stop the progress of the farm but they can insist on measures to protect your well being and access to your property. but in saying that I'm not sure about your laws .
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1531880 wrote: which union is attached to the company? Ring the union that covers their industry and see what they can do for you . You may not be able to stop the progress of the farm but they can insist on measures to protect your well being and access to your property. but in saying that I'm not sure about your laws .

I wouldn't be surprised if organizing a union is illegal in some States and just gets you killed in others. Joe Hill was American.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1531880 wrote: which union is attached to the company? Ring the union that covers their industry and see what they can do for you . You may not be able to stop the progress of the farm but they can insist on measures to protect your well being and access to your property. but in saying that I'm not sure about your laws .

Most unions have been rendered nearly useless in the US, these days.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Actually I don't know of many places around here these days that have unions.

Return to “General Chit Chat”