Face-ache

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Betty Boop

Face-ache

Post by Betty Boop »

Does anyone think Forums might come back into popularity?

I think Facebook is just starting to irritate, the trouble with having friends and neighbours linked to your account is you have to weather their views and opinions.

You can't debate on there, it's everyone just posting what they think and then being nasty to one another with threats of 'if you don't hold the same view then delete me' or if you don't hold the same view I'll delete you.'

At least within a forum half the people you interact with you don't know personally, you might know one or two and when fall outs happens it happens in an online place. Whereas on Facebook differences of opinion are taking place online and in the street, town, next village/town on.

I've muted so many acquaintances on facebook there's not a lot of updates each day :lol: Which is fine.

It does seem to be becoming the place to attack, to divide people and stir up trouble, both locally and nationally.
theia

Re: Face-ache

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:29 am Does anyone think Forums might come back into popularity?

I think Facebook is just starting to irritate, the trouble with having friends and neighbours linked to your account is you have to weather their views and opinions.

You can't debate on there, it's everyone just posting what they think and then being nasty to one another with threats of 'if you don't hold the same view then delete me' or if you don't hold the same view I'll delete you.'

At least within a forum half the people you interact with you don't know personally, you might know one or two and when fall outs happens it happens in an online place. Whereas on Facebook differences of opinion are taking place online and in the street, town, next village/town on.

I've muted so many acquaintances on facebook there's not a lot of updates each day :lol: Which is fine.

It does seem to be becoming the place to attack, to divide people and stir up trouble, both locally and nationally.
Interesting question. I think forums can feel more comfortable for some people when compared to Facebook and Twitter. But that’s coming from someone who’s an introvert and who doesn’t like large groups. I tend to use Facebook mainly for the private groups and for an occasional glance at the main feed but, like you, Betty, I get few updates on the feed. I can’t bear the “repost” requests (if you really care!) or the posts that beg approval and praise. The latter won’t improve your self esteem in the long term.

I don’t know if forums will become popular again. It’s a shame if they don’t, in my opinion. I think forums can divide opinion and invite attack but this is usually kept within the confines of the forum and are often resolved more easily.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The most vicious hate mail I’ve ever received came from a technical forum where volunteers provided help to users of a software package so you get nutters anywhere and one of the friendliest places I’ve seen is a narrowboater’s group on Facebook (not that I’m a member) but I certainly hope forums make a comeback as they’re a far more comfortable environment.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I agree with the groups, I am sure there are nasty groups too, but some of the best places are the groups I am in such as Celiacs eat out Abroad, Celiacs eat out and a celiac cooking group who encourage you to keep trying when you make the hard crossover to gluten free life.
spot

Post by spot »

There's no reason I can see why a Facebook feed shouldn't be presented in a forum format, with responses ordered in threads and topics being shunted into forum areas. It would allow someone using it to remember the history of a conversation, and respond from that perspective, but nobody else would be interpreting the material in the same way. I'd need to find out whether Facebook has an API for extracting posts but I really don't want to register an account with them. Dreadfully intrusive company.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

Yes Facebook, is a pain, I rarely go on FB, and when I do I usually get PO'd at the way their system works, see something one minute, try to got back to it and it disappeared, so then I get out of there. :x
Cars :)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:56 pm Yes Facebook, is a pain, I rarely go on FB, and when I do I usually get PO'd at the way their system works, see something one minute, try to got back to it and it disappeared, so then I get out of there. :x
That would seriously upset me too
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm a Member of a FB Group "Political SquawkBox" which has members of all Political leanings. Far from being an Echo Chamber it is a place for intense debate. Not only that, but it has strict rules about behaviour which are rigidly enforced. In fact, some of the rules I would say go a little too far, but rules are rules.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:00 pm I'm a Member of a FB Group "Political SquawkBox" which has members of all Political leanings. Far from being an Echo Chamber it is a place for intense debate. Not only that, but it has strict rules about behaviour which are rigidly enforced. In fact, some of the rules I would say go a little too far, but rules are rules.
Well, THAT was rather bizarre. A most fascinating 30 minutes.
In the first couple of pages, I witnessed every one of their rules of engagement not only violated, but stripped, tarred, feathered, and sent scurrying down the street.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

So? there's political squawk box 'page'...political squawk box 'group' ....and political squawk box 'group 2'. <------ apparently these guys don't like "condescending admins" :lol: :lol:
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:29 am
FourPart wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:00 pm I'm a Member of a FB Group "Political SquawkBox" which has members of all Political leanings. Far from being an Echo Chamber it is a place for intense debate. Not only that, but it has strict rules about behaviour which are rigidly enforced. In fact, some of the rules I would say go a little too far, but rules are rules.
In the first couple of pages, I witnessed every one of their rules of engagement not only violated, but stripped, tarred, feathered, and sent scurrying down the street.
It's a Closed Group, so in order to access it you would have had to have Joined it.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:53 am
LarsMac wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:29 am
It's a Closed Group, so in order to access it you would have had to have Joined it.
And, I did
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:29 am Does anyone think Forums might come back into popularity?

The most devastating thing I've seen on facebook is the fallout of friendships of people who I know have been friends for years
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:43 pm The most devastating thing I've seen on facebook is the fallout of friendships of people who I know have been friends for years
On the other hand, it's only through FaceBook that I've been able to keep in touch with (and renew contact with) people from the old Forum & Chat Room Days.
cars

Post by cars »

IMO, Facebook contains way too much personal info on its members! Displaying much of it for all to see. That's why I'm basically a non participating member.

But you know it's there. and it's like passing a serious car crash you're slowly driving by, and it sad, but you just can't help but look at it!
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

In its original years there was a limitation on who could register at Facebook, you had to use a tertiary educational email address. I'm told the ambience was quite different back then with not a harsh word to be seen.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

cars wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:49 pm IMO, Facebook contains way too much personal info on its members! Displaying much of it for all to see. That's why I'm basically a non participating member.

But you know it's there. and it's like passing a serious car crash you're slowly driving by, and it sad, but you just can't help but look at it!
You only put up there what you're happy to put up there, plus you can put the settings as to who can see it.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:03 pm You only put up there what you're happy to put up there, plus you can put the settings as to who can see it.
No, it's rather nastier than that.

If you make an account, Facebook is sufficiently good at making social networks that it will pop your account up with "do you know <x>" invites to everyone you ever tried to avoid since you left school, and several you disliked since. It is better at constructing friend-of-a-friend inferences to narrow down all your previous acquaintances, and most of the sods will be on Facebook, and you can't instruct the damned system not to proffer your account as bait to the entire pack of them.

That, more than anything else, is the intrusive outrage. The lack of an opt-out to being hawked around other people's potential buddies.

And yes, for the first few years "buddies" was what they were called by Facebook.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

When I saw face-ache I thought you were having sinus problems, you know when you have a sinus headache and your whole face hurts? :lol: :lol: As for Facebook not on it and don't want to be.

Return to “General Chit Chat”