We got a new POTUS

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

We got a new POTUS

Post by cars »

POTUS Elect Joe Biden

Just over Half of the people in the USA are jubilant in the streets today! Much healing of the great "divide" of my country is going to be needed to return accord amongst the masses!

In addition, history has been made with our having our first Black Woman VPOTUS!
Cars :)
spot

Re: We got a new POTUS

Post by spot »

You've successfully got rid of the hocus potus. Congratulations. He might never address another press briefing again.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I would not count him out, just yet.
He's got a couple months to foul things up before he goes.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I'm sure he'll completely refuse any help in transitioning, but I don't think he'll demand to be dragged out of the building by armed police.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:05 pm I would not count him out, just yet.
He's got a couple months to foul things up before he goes.
Yeah, I am afraid of that being a possibility, he can cause great greif for us, as he is like a spoiled immature brat!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I've seen unconfirmed news items claiming he is already firing department heads.
That could actually be very helpful.
Save the new admin some time.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

POTUS Elect Joe Biden gave a inspiring, powerful, heartfelt, speech to his American audience, as well as to the world last night! There is hope after all for America to reconcile!
Diplomacy and empathy will be/has returned to the White House!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm interested to see if he will now be open to prosecution for the many crimes he is [allegedly] known to have committed.

As I understand it, he can Pardon himself for Federal Offences, but not for State offences. He will also be open for numerous Civil Offences. Plus, Deutches Bank are threatening to freeze his assets & liquidise them in order to realise the $Millions of debts he has with them. To say nothing of the fact that he was prohibited from taking out Business Loans as an Undischarged Bankrupt.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am not sure that he can pardon himself.
Firstly, a pardon requires him being found guilty and a sentence being declared, I think.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:06 am I am not sure that he can pardon himself.
Firstly, a pardon requires him being found guilty and a sentence being declared, I think.
It seems he can.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house ... oming-soon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:08 am
LarsMac wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:06 am I am not sure that he can pardon himself.
It seems he can.

Well, he can certainly try, I reckon.
It has never been tried. I'm sure that Nixon would have tried it, had he thought he could get away with it.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Well he can do a couple of things in the time he has left . He can't do anything legislative though. Anyway haven't most of the staff left?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well I must say (after I've said Hi to all and sundry - particularly Sundry LOL) that somebody posted a very interesting email to me today.......................
I think it is quite brilliant and well thought out !!!

I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

It seems he can.

He doesn't actually have any federal charges against him yet, does he? I don't see how he can pardon himself of charges that don't exist.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:15 pm Well I must say (after I've said Hi to all and sundry - particularly Sundry LOL) that somebody posted a very interesting email to me today.......................
I think it is quite brilliant and well thought out !!!

Hi Gill, how’s life?
spot

Post by spot »

Hi Gill.

Snooz wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:20 pm He doesn't actually have any federal charges against him yet, does he? I don't see how he can pardon himself of charges that don't exist.
In Britain we have a mechanism called an Act of General Indemnity and Oblivion, after which no charge can be brought against the recipient for anything he may have done before a given date. We use them to coerce traitors, or to forgive very rich colonial administrators when they buy a peerage.

Whether a Presidential Pardon covers that much territory will be in the fine print, but the concept exists.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Snooz wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:20 pm
It seems he can.

He doesn't actually have any federal charges against him yet, does he? I don't see how he can pardon himself of charges that don't exist.
Wouldn't Tax Evasion class as Federal?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:55 am
Snooz wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:20 pm
It seems he can.

Wouldn't Tax Evasion class as Federal?
It is State of New York that is investigating. So far, no Federal Charges have been brought.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Why has my post with the 'Vote him away' song been wiped ?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

This talk is all stupid.

On day one was talk of impeachment! :roll:

Since then the Demoncrats were busy with investigations galore, too many to recall or care to. ;)

Trump is on his way out and some of you talk of convictions and pardons. :?

My only solace is that I have the Harris/Biden tragedy to goof on. 8-)
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:41 pm Why has my post with the 'Vote him away' song been wiped ?
No posts have been wiped or tampered with. It's possible that some formats of youtube frames didn't make it through the import between the old and new database though.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:12 pm
G#Gill wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:41 pm Why has my post with the 'Vote him away' song been wiped ?
No posts have been wiped or tampered with. It's possible that some formats of youtube frames didn't make it through the import between the old and new database though.
Thanks for the info Mr. spot. It seems to have come back now !!!! Strange.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

The video posted appears to be coming through google drive and requires people to ask permission to view it. Until permission is granted it's just a google drive box with a padlock on it.
spot

Post by spot »

I suspect it also requires the viewer to be logged into a Google Drive account as well. I've never seen a Google Drive so I can't tell.

An alternative video host might be https://imgur.com/ which will allow uploads (Maximum video size 200 MB) without registration, gives a viewing link and leaves the video online for ever.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

It seems that there is no new President as far as Allies to America are concerned. The secretary of state is not conceding anything and is stating election fraud. The secretary of state is who foreign entities to America deal with. TV presenters are asking if this situation is becoming delusional now? There has been no administrative transition which would normally happen a week out from the election.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:48 pm It seems that there is no new President as far as Allies to America are concerned. The secretary of state is not conceding anything and is stating election fraud. The secretary of state is who foreign entities to America deal with. TV presenters are asking if this situation is becoming delusional now? There has been no administrative transition which would normally happen a week out from the election.
No worries, we will let Donald have his recounts and wait for the Congress to convene in January, and by then it will be all done.
Then on the 20th of January, if he still refuses to move out, we just boot him out on his ass.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

But how will that work with congress if congress persons refuse to leave?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:06 pm
magentaflame wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:48 pm It seems that there is no new President as far as Allies to America are concerned. The secretary of state is not conceding anything and is stating election fraud. The secretary of state is who foreign entities to America deal with. TV presenters are asking if this situation is becoming delusional now? There has been no administrative transition which would normally happen a week out from the election.
No worries, we will let Donald have his recounts and wait for the Congress to convene in January, and by then it will be all done.
Then on the 20th of January, if he still refuses to move out, we just boot him out on his ass.
That really ties up the transition though. Biden is already trying to get his coronavirus team together but without transition documentation, there's no funding yet.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

hmmm saw that . Refusing to release any money
cars

Post by cars »

The election has yet to be "certified", which means Donald is waiting for every vote to be counted! It is frightening to consider that when all the votes are finally in, somehow Donald came out on top!

Actually, officially, Biden is only the "projected" winner for now, "so far"!
spot

Post by spot »

The fuss today is about the White House declassifying as much embarrassing material as it can, while it can. I quite look forward to any of that, to be honest. America's version of Duterte still has a couple of months to strut.

It appears to be a response to a Trump-son tweet:

DECLASSIFY EVERYTHING!!!
We can’t let the bad actors get away with it.
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) November 8, 2020

Former CIA Director John Brennan warned yesterday on CNN that Trump is like a "cornered cat" and may lash out before he leaves office.

BRENNAN: They're missing what is a very, very worrisome development. It's clear that Mark Esper was removed as Secretary of Defense because he rebuffed Donald Trump's efforts to politicize the U.S. Military. And I think it's quite apparent from reporting that Mark Esper has stood up to Donald Trump repeatedly. Who knows what else he has refused to do?

And the Secretary of Defense position is, I think, the most consequential position in the U.S. government aside from the President of the United States because it is the Secretary of Defense who carries out the orders given by a president for military operations.

And if Mark Esper has been pushed aside because he is not listening to Donald Trump, carry out these orders, who knows what his successor, this Acting Secretary, Chris Miller is going to do if Donald Trump does give some type of order that really is counter to, I think, what our national security interests need to be.

CUOMO: One more rebuttal to a shoulder-shrug. "70 days, you know, he'll be gone in 70 days anyway once the Electoral College meets and we have the Inauguration."

[21:50:00]

BRENNAN: 70 days, you can do a lot of damage in 70 days. He still is the President of the United States.

And is he going to carry out these vendettas against other individuals, as you pointed out, Chris Wray or Gina Haspel or others? It is clear that Donald Trump is trying to exercise the power because he can. And he is going to settle scores.

But I'm very concerned what he might do in his remaining 70 days in office. Is he going to take some type of military action? Is he going to release some type of information that could in fact threaten our national security interests?

So, I think people need to be looking very carefully at what he's doing. And unfortunately, Republicans in Congress continue to give Donald Trump a pass.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... ation.html
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:49 pm The election has yet to be "certified", which means Donald is waiting for every vote to be counted! It is frightening to consider that when all the votes are finally in, somehow Donald came out on top!

Actually, officially, Biden is only the "projected" winner for now, "so far"!
The difference of 5 million? I doubt it. So they'll do a recount, but hasn't anyone been listening? After the recount it's still rigged anyway. Damned if you do damned if you don't. it's just stalling.
cars

Post by cars »

It was said in the background by one of Donald's close friends, that Donald is likely considering running again in 2024! :shock:
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

"Trump is like a "cornered cat" and may lash out before he leaves office."

The expression is "cornered rat". Why mince words this late in the game?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

cars wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:04 pm It was said in the background by one of Donald's close friends, that Donald is likely considering running again in 2024! :shock:
Hopefully he'll be long dead before then.
spot

Post by spot »

cars wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:04 pm It was said in the background by one of Donald's close friends, that Donald is likely considering running again in 2024! :shock:
I cannot imagine the Republican Party allowing him to enter the primaries.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:31 pm
I cannot imagine the Republican Party allowing him to enter the primaries.
Well, I couldn't have imagined them doing that the FIRST time.
And, yet, here we all are.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I keep reading how Trump had planned to start Trump TV when he lost the 2016 election but that plan was put on hold with his surprise win.

He still wants to do that but his recent tweet suggests he has a vendetta against Fox News for not being suitably subservient and he wants to cripple them with his far superior product. Because we all know how successful he is in his business ventures. Isn't that right, Atlantic City?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm really hoping that as soon as his term officially finishes, in January, that the Legal Teams move in on him & get him for all the crimes he's been committing whilst abusing the perk of Presidential Immunity, having given no thought to the fact that his status is only for 8 years, MAX. Nobody should be allowed to get away with that degree of Fraud, Tax Evasion, Obstructing Justice, Interfering with Democratic Elections (defunding Postal Service, Fake Ballot Boxes, Incitement to Violence, etc). The list of potential charges is astounding. To say nothing of the Deutsche Bank already threatening to realise the Personally Guaranteed loans made to him against his many assets (Golf Course & other Real Estate, including Trump Tower) - loans that were also made illegally, being an Undischarged Bankrupt. Then there's all the misdirection of funds raised supposedly for Charities in order to pay his Legal Expenses.

In reality, though, he'll probably get away with it all Scot Free.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:28 am loans that were also made illegally, being an Undischarged Bankrupt.
The President has never filed for bankruptcy, so he has never needed to apply for a discharge. Various of his businesses have used bankruptcy processes, banks have refused to give him loans on occasion, but he's never been in the position you describe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Tr ... nkruptcies has a bit of background. So does https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... kruptcies/
spot

Post by spot »

An article in the paper asks "White men swung to Biden. Trump made gains with black and Latino voters. Why?".

Because the white men who wouldn't vote for a woman president in 2016 would vote for Joe Biden in 2020, that's why.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

"They" (I think it was the NYT) interviewed some of the Latino and male Black voters for Trump and one thing that really impressed them was the signed stimulus check he sent out. They thought it meant that Trump cared about them. Obama did that too but he thought it was "gauche" to sign the checks and figured Americans were smart enough to realize where the money came from.

Pfffft. This country is filled with some of the stupidest people in history.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:53 pm "They" (I think it was the NYT) interviewed some of the Latino and male Black voters for Trump and one thing that really impressed them was the signed stimulus check he sent out. They thought it meant that Trump cared about them. Obama did that too but he thought it was "gauche" to sign the checks and figured Americans were smart enough to realize where the money came from.

Our son and his wife both voted for The Donald.
Son because "Biden will shut down the fracking and oil fields" (He worked for the Fracking outfits for a while, until they stopped working the fields near us, blaming the local gummint for tightening restrictions on emissions and spils - in reality they were finding the output to low to be worth the expense of extracting it.)
DiL - Because Trump says he is bringing back jobs from China.

Grandaughter also voted T rump, because all her friends in the Rodeo did.

Oh, and all three said, because Biden is in favor of abortion. [sigh]
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:53 pm "They" (I think it was the NYT) interviewed some of the Latino and male Black voters for Trump and one thing that really impressed them was the signed stimulus check he sent out. They thought it meant that Trump cared about them. Obama did that too but he thought it was "gauche" to sign the checks and figured Americans were smart enough to realize where the money came from.

I was going to burn the check and film it, and post it on FB, but instead of a check, we got some sort of debit card. The Mrs would not let me touch it. No point, then, since the signature wasn't there.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:10 am

I was going to burn the check and film it, and post it on FB, but instead of a check, we got some sort of debit card. The Mrs would not let me touch it. No point, then, since the signature wasn't there.
Many people like myself, never got an actual check, money due to me was automatically deposited into my bank's checking account.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Our government tried that crap. Hoping people would spend it. They didn't. Most understand if the government is giving out money then things about to hit the fan and it's probably better to save it.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... -protests/

This is bad. It doesn't matter what people believe at this point. The real problem here is the despot who has created this.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:10 am

Mine was direct deposit and I donated it to the local food bank.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

magentaflame wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:55 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... -protests/

This is bad. It doesn't matter what people believe at this point. The real problem here is the despot who has created this.
Trump's reaction:

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Snooz wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:33 pm
magentaflame wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:55 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... -protests/

Trump's reaction:

Holy shit. I think I know where the military and police should be right now. Hauling his sorry arse out the back door of the white house. Is anyone doing anything about him? anything at all? Nobody can say getting rid of him early could cause problems when he's already begun "the problems".

Return to “General Chit Chat”