Quitting or leaving a job...and the relief found from doing it.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
magentaflame

Quitting or leaving a job...and the relief found from doing it.

Post by magentaflame »

Have any of you ever left a job and felt better about it the next day?
A sense of relief? Satisfaction for sticking it to the man?
Or just feel better about yourself?
Despite the way you left it? Or how it made you feel at the time?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Re: Quitting or leaving a job...and the relief found from doing it.

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I have actually never regretted leaving a job.
For some, my only regret was that it took me so long to decide to move on.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

There's only a couple of jobs I actually remember leaving, I think mostly I'm focused on fitting into the next one.

Partly that's because I've freelanced most of the time, I only had three proper bits of being employed like on a payroll and the first two of those, four years and three years, was learning how to work.

The one thing I never liked was taking a holiday without having something lined up to come back to, I actively avoided that after it happened the first time.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

When I was young and working in the beginning, I was like a flitting fire fly.

I would take a job (In engineering) and work at it for a period of time, sometimes a year,
sometimes only months. Each time I changed jobs, it was for a respectable much higher salary.

I was impetuous, and couldn't wait for raises to be assertained. When I felt I needed to make more money, if I didn't sizable raise, I changed jobs.

All and all, in 12 years, I had 12 different jobs! Only one of those jobs did I really enjoy leaving due to the engineering mgr, being a real shithead to me.
I came to find out, his brother in-law got fired and needed a job, but the mgr just hired me. So he made life miserable for me, so I would leave on my own,
as he couldn't fire me as I went through eng placement service and he paid them a tidy sum for placing me there. He would get a refund if I left on my own!

Job number 13, turned out to be a lucky number for me, as when I looked around at the other employees there, most were there 30 to 40 years. That's when I realized I could likely make a life long career myself at this company. As it turned out, I made a career there, I became Engineering Dept mgr, and worked there for 35 years until I retired.
The End!
Cars :)
cars

Post by cars »

cars wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:11 pm When I was young and working in the beginning, I was like a flitting fire fly.

I would take a job (In engineering) and work at it for a period of time, sometimes a year,
sometimes only months. Each time I changed jobs, it was for a respectable much higher salary.

I was impetuous, and couldn't wait for raises to be assertained. When I felt I needed to make more money, if I didn't sizable raise, I changed jobs.

All and all, in 12 years, I had 12 different jobs! Only one of those jobs did I really enjoy leaving due to the engineering mgr, being a real shithead to me.
I came to find out, his brother in-law got fired and needed a job, but the mgr just hired me. So he made life miserable for me, so I would leave on my own,
as he couldn't fire me as I went through eng placement service and he paid them a tidy sum for placing me there. He would get a refund if I left on my own!

Job number 13, turned out to be a lucky number for me, as when I looked around at the other employees there, most were there 30 to 40 years. That's when I realized I could likely make a life long career myself at this company. As it turned out, I made a career there, I became Engineering Dept mgr, and worked there for 35 years until I retired.
The End!
Correction, in looking back at my 12 jobs "duration", it was 12 jobs spread over around "6" or less years, as I mixed up 12 jobs with years, like the job listed above lasted less then 2 months! Other jobs lasted 4 to 6 months. :oops:
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I left a job a few weeks ago due to stress. Most toxic workplace I've ever worked in. I feel better now but it's taken a few weeks to get my head around it all. I am now in the enviable position of having two jobs to choose from. Or go back to school. Not sure what to do yet.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:58 pm I left a job a few weeks ago due to stress. Most toxic workplace I've ever worked in. I feel better now but it's taken a few weeks to get my head around it all. I am now in the enviable position of having two jobs to choose from. Or go back to school. Not sure what to do yet.
Do whatever you think the job you choose that you will enjoy! It has been said, if you enjoy your job, you will enjoy going to work, not dreading it!

Going back to school is good too, especially if it can get you the job you really want!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:31 pm
magentaflame wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:58 pm I left a job a few weeks ago due to stress. Most toxic workplace I've ever worked in. I feel better now but it's taken a few weeks to get my head around it all. I am now in the enviable position of having two jobs to choose from. Or go back to school. Not sure what to do yet.
Do whatever you think the job you choose that you will enjoy! It has been said, if you enjoy your job, you will enjoy going to work, not dreading it!

Going back to school is good too, especially if it can get you the job you really want!
If I had my own way I would write and paint 24/7. I think I would enjoy the lower paid job to be honest. A 'job' to me is something that keeps a roof over your head. I don't have the guts to throw all to the wind. But at least they are full time jobs and 8 hour shifts......Gone are the days of casual work and 12 hour shifts. I'm so over that crap.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I have decided to take the lesser paying job. Better for my mental and physical health.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:29 pm I have decided to take the lesser paying job. Better for my mental and physical health.
Respect - I hope it does well by you.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:18 pm
magentaflame wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:29 pm I have decided to take the lesser paying job. Better for my mental and physical health.
Respect - I hope it does well by you.
Lets hope so. :) For a little while I'll be exhausted and a little bit sore because I haven't engaged in any physical activity for awhile.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Well..........that's the end of that little adventure.
All because of one little bout of sacroiliitis 7 or 8 years ago I now can't do manual labour for the rest of my life. Nobody told me it was permanent! I got over this so called infection and bob's your uncle. I've been living very well movement wise. Now all of the sudden it's "flared" up again. I had no other symtoms of discomfort for this whole job. (except for sore feet) And now this comes out of the blue. So after some xrays and a stern talking to by my doctor....I had to quit this evening.

That's not fair I was beginning to enjoy this job! Can't drive a truck anymore or continually go up and down stairs. All the forklift stuff came back to me without much of a hitch. and now I have to ditch it all and become useless.
spot

Post by spot »

That's a blow, it's restricting your options just when things were settling. I hope you find an alternative you enjoy doing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

Wow doesn't that beat all magentaflame, sorry to hear that bad news.

I hope you can still find a job you can perform, while liking it at the same time. Good Luck!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

There's the other job that begins on the 15th. So I still have that.
This morning I joined a woodworkers club to make myself feel better.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I had been farming tobacco for over 30 years. The restrictions from the company my contract was with were getting worse by the minute, my employees were becoming a real pain, so we decided to stop having a tobacco crop. I thought I was going to feel bad about it but then the Covid 19 virus arrived and they started construction on this stupid solar farm that's surrounding us. I've always heard that the Lord works it mysterious ways but it dawned on me one day, there would be no way we could even harvest the crop because we couldn't gather in a group, so we couldn't hire any help. Also with all the trucks and equipment that were constantly blocking the road, we wouldn't be able to haul the tobacco to the barn. Also how would we even know if we could sell it when everything was closed down. So I think giving up the tobacco was a blessing. So I consider myself a retired tobacco farmer but we still have the cows. :D
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Hope6 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:34 pm I had been farming tobacco for over 30 years. The restrictions from the company my contract was with were getting worse by the minute, my employees were becoming a real pain, so we decided to stop having a tobacco crop. I thought I was going to feel bad about it but then the Covid 19 virus arrived and they started construction on this stupid solar farm that's surrounding us. I've always heard that the Lord works it mysterious ways but it dawned on me one day, there would be no way we could even harvest the crop because we couldn't gather in a group, so we couldn't hire any help. Also with all the trucks and equipment that were constantly blocking the road, we wouldn't be able to haul the tobacco to the barn. Also how would we even know if we could sell it when everything was closed down. So I think giving up the tobacco was a blessing. So I consider myself a retired tobacco farmer but we still have the cows. :D
Think of it this way . God has relieved you of the blame of contributing to tobacco related deaths. He works in mysterious ways.
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:17 pm
Hope6 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:34 pm I had been farming tobacco for over 30 years. The restrictions from the company my contract was with were getting worse by the minute, my employees were becoming a real pain, so we decided to stop having a tobacco crop. I thought I was going to feel bad about it but then the Covid 19 virus arrived and they started construction on this stupid solar farm that's surrounding us. I've always heard that the Lord works it mysterious ways but it dawned on me one day, there would be no way we could even harvest the crop because we couldn't gather in a group, so we couldn't hire any help. Also with all the trucks and equipment that were constantly blocking the road, we wouldn't be able to haul the tobacco to the barn. Also how would we even know if we could sell it when everything was closed down. So I think giving up the tobacco was a blessing. So I consider myself a retired tobacco farmer but we still have the cows. :D
Think of it this way . God has relieved you of the blame of contributing to tobacco related deaths. He works in mysterious ways.
True, God does work in mysterious ways, right up until right now I'm still a mystery! :lol:
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:39 am
True, God does work in mysterious ways, right up until right now I'm still a mystery! :lol:
:lol: You too eh?
I've begun my new job. I hope it gets better. I have bags under the eyes and I'm not sure they have ever been this bloodshot. Loss of sleep after being reamed a new arsehole for doing the job I'm employed to do. I basically walked into a shit show but next week should be better and things will have settled down.
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:18 am
I've begun my new job. I hope it gets better. I have bags under the eyes and I'm not sure they have ever been this bloodshot. Loss of sleep after being reamed a new arsehole for doing the job I'm employed to do. I basically walked into a shit show but next week should be better and things will have settled down.
Sorry to hear things are somewhat tough on the job right now. Hopefully it will get better for you as you say, loosing sleep over it is not a good thing!
Good luck, and stay strong!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:11 pm When I was young and working in the beginning, I was like a flitting fire fly.

The End!
In regards to the refund job.. You're sneaky ...I like it.
The number of times I get asked why I haven't stayed in a job more than two years is amazing. It also tells me more about the employer in my industry than it tells them about me. If they don't know why I have an array of different experience that you have to acquire to move on and up, it tells me that their own experience is limited. I know a person who got his licence for a particular job and that's where he has been ever since. If anything happens to that sites employment options he's stuffed.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:21 pm
magentaflame wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:18 am
Sorry to hear things are somewhat tough on the job right now. Hopefully it will get better for you as you say, loosing sleep over it is not a good thing!
Good luck, and stay strong!
Mate? you can count on me. I just hope others think so as well. It just is what it is at the moment. :D

Return to “General Chit Chat”