My heart skipped a beat

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
nvalleyvee

My heart skipped a beat

Post by nvalleyvee »

I just got a call from Sandia National Labs. They needed someone to head up an area of the lab work at the WIPP site in Carlsbad. They got my resume off the internet - I had posted it before my cancer. I would have jumped at an interview despite my oncologists opinion on working with carcinogens again ...... but the position is 270 miles away. They said they'd keep me in mind for the Lab in Albuquerque. I suddenly realized just how much I miss my career in hazardous waste management and analysis. I miss the science and the math and the use of my brain every day. I used to have an input on how to clean up the environment and how to contain and maintain waste that had a LONG 1/2 life.

I should be grateful for being alive and feel good about being semi-retired. I did pass the job info along to people who would qualify for that job.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
nvalleyvee

My heart skipped a beat

Post by nvalleyvee »

SnoozeControl wrote: Jeez, I'm paranoid about drinking tap water...

Maybe you can get involved with something online, a think tank or whatever else might be available. It would be a shame to waste your knowledge.

I had put my identity in the workplace out of my mind because I was told it would cause me physical harm to get down and dirty with the chemicals. Thanks Snooze.

BTW - your drinking water is good or they wouldn't let you drink it. Actually most government standards on drinking water are far above any levels that would do you harm. OMG - did I just use my brain??? :-5
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Accountable

My heart skipped a beat

Post by Accountable »

Why not become a consultant? Set your own rates, work your own hours, fire the clients you don't want to work with.

You could use your knowledge to walk into a company and point out where they're in violation of federal regs. You'll save them thousands of dollars in fees, improve the environment, use your brain, make some cash, ....

Return to “Work Employment”