How do R.E. Agencies Differ?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Any real estate agents in the Garden?

How does one break in to the business?

Is there a real difference in agencies?

Is it better to start alone or with a larger agency?
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

Accountable wrote: How does one break in to the business?
usually with a crowbar or tire iron, if you're in a hurry. If you're serious about this, i would recommend getting some lock-pick tools. saves the mess of broken glass and 8 out of 10 times, you won't set off any alarms.

Accountable wrote: Is there a real difference in agencies?
DO NOT BE FOOLED!! SD-6 is not the CIA

Accountable wrote: Is it better to start alone or with a larger agency?
go down town to the "KitKat" club. ask to see Fat Tony. tell him Wolverine sent ya.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Thank you. You've been helpful. :-3
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Accountable wrote: Any real estate agents in the Garden? MR. Sunny

How does one break in to the business? he did the 6 week course (180 hours) to get his license and signed on with Century 21

Is there a real difference in agencies? the bigger well known places will have a lot more "action" and then it's down to your personal preferences as to how you like to work, but you can interview with a few companies to find out how they do things. My husband chose not to go with one large company because they were all about the numbers and expected you to have a certain amount in sales every month.

Is it better to start alone or with a larger agency? If you're new to the business I'd say learn your way around with the backing of a company, because you can go out on your own at any time once you feel you are ready. And you have to have a broker's license to go out on your own, I don't remember how many hours that is in addition to the 180 hours to be a real estate agent but you would have the equivalent of a 2 year college degree at the end of it.

Hope I helped a bit!:)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

sunny104 wrote: Hope I helped a bit!:)
Definitely. Thanks, Sunny. Century 21 is advertising here in town. Did the Mr shop around any? It would help me alot if you could tell me who the other large company was.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Accountable wrote: Any real estate agents in the Garden?

How does one break in to the business?

Is there a real difference in agencies?

Is it better to start alone or with a larger agency?

The key thing in making it as a real estate agent, irrespective of the agency, is to go out and beat the bushes for listings, listings, listings. Ring doorbells, cold canvass, hustle, hustle, hustle. Finally, commit yourself FULLTIME to the business and don't try to break into it on a part time basis. No one wants to do business with a part time realtor except maybe a relative or friend.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Lon wrote: The key thing in making it as a real estate agent, irrespective of the agency, is to go out and beat the bushes for listings, listings, listings. Ring doorbells, cold canvass, hustle, hustle, hustle. Finally, commit yourself FULLTIME to the business and don't try to break into it on a part time basis. No one wants to do business with a part time realtor except maybe a relative or friend.
How long does training take? What's a reaslistic starting income?
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I mentioned it took 6 weeks/180 hours to get your license in Texas.

They all say expect 30-50 your first year.

The other company was Re Max, but like I said it's all about how you prefer to do things, my husband just prefered the way Century 21 does things.

My husband didn't really have to do much to get listings, you'll be required to spend a certain amount of time in the office answering phones and you get a lot of customers that way. Both buyers and sellers. That's why it's probably best to go with a bigger, well known company.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Accountable wrote: How long does training take? What's a reaslistic starting income?

There's no actual training after you get your license, you just kinda learn as you go but the broker and other agents will help you along. :)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

sunny104 wrote: There's no actual training after you get your license, you just kinda learn as you go but the broker and other agents will help you along. :)Thanks. You caught my meaning the first 2 times; I was just too blind to catch the first one. :o
Lon

Post by Lon »

Accountable wrote: How long does training take? What's a reaslistic starting income?
Starting Income????? You must be kidding. It's commission selling. No sales, no commission and therefore no income. There are over 7,000 licensed agents in one particular county with a population of 650,000 people. The average income was $1,215 per licensed agent (gross commissions divided by # agents). Like all sales careers. Money is made by the top 15%.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Lon wrote: Starting Income????? You must be kidding. It's commission selling. No sales, no commission and therefore no income. There are over 7,000 licensed agents in one particular county with a population of 650,000 people. The average income was $1,215 per licensed agent. Like all sales careers. Money is made by the top 15%.Per year, month, week?
Lon

Post by Lon »

Accountable wrote: Per year, month, week?

That's per year.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Lon wrote: That's per year.
Okay, I got your message. how long were you in real estate?
Lon

Post by Lon »

Accountable wrote: Okay, I got your message. how long were you in real estate?

Never was in real estate, but I was in commission selling all my adult life and know real estate quite well. Many go into RE with stars in their eyes not realizing that not all survive and far more starve to death than make a decent living. To make it, you must be assertive, agressive and high energy. Also keep six months living expenses always in reserve.
observer1

Post by observer1 »

I've been wanting to get my license. But I don't necessarily trust quitting my full-time job when I first start with real estate. You're telling me there's no way to do this??
Lon

Post by Lon »

observer1 wrote: I've been wanting to get my license. But I don't necessarily trust quitting my full-time job when I first start with real estate. You're telling me there's no way to do this??,

What I am saying is to have at least 6 months income in savings before going into Real Estate sales. I can almost guarantee you that if you try to ease into real estate and hang onto your present job until you establish yourself in the Real Estate business, you will not make it in real estate. Keeping your present job (security blanket) will hamstring your incentive to make it in commission sales. I personally would never do business with a part-timer in anything. I want to do business with those that are committed to what they are doing and many feel the same way. Nothing wrong with studying and getting a real estate liscense while currently working your present job.

Return to “Work Employment”