Marine Biologist (wanna be)

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Freaky Fool

Post by Freaky Fool »

Ok I'll Start by explaning the situation: My younger sister want's to be a marine biologist and so I said I would help her get some contacts and information about that career; and so I was wondering if anyone could post some decent links to other forum sites that would focus more on the topic of biology and it's various specializations. I would also like to talk with anyone on this site that is a marine biologist or are in the making of a marine biologist. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks FF
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I consider myself a marine biologist as well as a variety of other types of biologist. But of course Ive had no training nor acquired a degree in the field. These things only happen in my mind.

Maybe she could try that for starters.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Best bet would be to google. :)
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
grh

Post by grh »

Ya joined in January and your first post is a request for your sister? I have no idea what a marine biologist would do. I expect spot will be along shortly and write an encyclopedia of information for you.. or else something really stupid. To be quite honest with you, it is sometimes hard to tell the difference once the lad gets going..:D

In any case, tell us about you.:-6
Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

:yh_glasse

rambo
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

Well I know for starters she has to have atleast a 4 year degree in marine biology...I know some of that requires going out on a boat for sometime to research and study marine life....hopefully she doesn't get sea sick!
spot

Post by spot »

I don't think I've ever uttered these words on a public forum before but...

How old's your sister?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Freaky Fool

Post by Freaky Fool »

My sister is in her early teens so there is still lots of time for her to change her mind but I promised I would help her any way I can. I am sure how ever that she won't change her mind in the near future so I figured I might as well follow up on my promise and do some of the research for her.

But I was also asked to tell about myself so I'll start by saying that I am young, Male and goe by the name of Freaky Fool on the net. I am a candaian and proud of it. I am hoping to start a business in the next few years and so I may ask questions about various tidbits from time to time.

***Edit: Typo
spot

Post by spot »

Your sister has to get adequate school grades to get onto a good Bachelor's science course, and a degree of high enough standard to be accepted into a research team, and when she has her doctorate and goes to work for somewhere like the Scripps Institute in Florida she can call herself a marine biologist.

The real question is what her degree subject should be and what her research thesis should focus on to make her an interesting marine biologist. Her school science teacher will know enough scientists at the local university to introduce her to them and let her talk it over and get an adequate understanding of the edges of the subject. Interesting marine biologists are multi-disciplinary, they bring expert knowledge into the field rather than know all there is to know about marine biology itself. That's why I think she needs her doctorate before she goes into marine biology, up until then she needs to overlap with the subject from outside.

If I were her I'd get her to print this post out and show it to her science teacher and ask if it's possible.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Work Employment”