The Worst Job EVER

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
actionfigurestepho

The Worst Job EVER

Post by actionfigurestepho »

We've all had bad jobs. Some were tedious, some were shady and some were downright death traps. I know I've had all three! What was the worst job you've ever had?
chonsigirl

The Worst Job EVER

Post by chonsigirl »

My worst job was working in a glass factory when I was 16. I worked during the summer to save up money to buy a car. It was long, hard work at minimum wage, $1.35/hour. It was so hot in there, no air conditioning back then, and long work hours. I was very grateful when summer was over and could go back to school, but I thought of the workers who I had left behind, because that was their lives, to work in that factory every day.
ProfessionalMoron

The Worst Job EVER

Post by ProfessionalMoron »

I would love to share, but, Far Rider made me feel so insecure that I am not sure I can continue.
BabyRider

The Worst Job EVER

Post by BabyRider »

actionfigurestepho wrote: We've all had bad jobs. Some were tedious, some were shady and some were downright death traps. I know I've had all three! What was the worst job you've ever had?
Miller Brewing Co. has a recycling plant here in Detroit. I got a job there that I would not go back to if they paid me $20 an hour. Monotonous, filthy, hot, cockroaches hiding in your clothes at the end of the day....horrible, rotten job. The entire scope of my job consisted of sorting clear bottles from dark bottles into cases and stacking them on pallettes. 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. :-5
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

valerie

The Worst Job EVER

Post by valerie »

Knocking almonds! Dad would pull up the tractor with the trailer next to the

tree, you'd roll out these HUGE and very HEAVY tarps out under the tree,

being sure to fold them very tightly around the trunk, and then you'd knock

with long, HEAVY wooden poles until you got all the almonds off. The whole

time you are knocking, little bits of leaf, bark, almond dust, whatever, is

falling down and getting stuck in your hair and the sweat around your neck

and down your shirt. Then you roll up these huge tarps with their HEAVY

load of almonds and dump them in the trailer. Dad drives the tractor 20 feet

to the next tree, and you start the process all over again. This all in 100

degree Sacramento valley late summer heat. You'd go to bed at night with

your arms frozen in position over your head and hurting like mad. Lovely.

:yh_sweat

It's all mechanized, now.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

actionfigurestepho

The Worst Job EVER

I worked at a "warehouse" that was really a shipping business based in an old barn/garage. The company was BARELY legal. There were holes in the wall so that the floor turned completely to ice in the winter...in the summer I had to work in the back of a truck packing and weighing boxes...over 100 degrees. Plus there was wildlife EVERYWHERE, and no the good kind. We had hornets and poisonous spiders and all sorts of things the boss refused to bug bomb for...he didn't want to take a day off of work to make it safe. Furthermore, I was the only employee working in the "warehouse." He didn't want to pay for anyone else to come work. If I couldn't lift a box he'd give me a lecture on hard work, and when I hurt myself lifting a 70+ pound box he lectured me on hurting myself and said he wouldn't be paying workers' comp. I remember a ladder falling over one day and hitting me on the head, knocking me out. He didn't let me go home early.

I found out he had a history of only hiring girls because "they worked harder."

I tried to get OSHA in there to shut it down but apparently you have to have a certain number of employees to be forced to meet OSHA requirements.

I finally quit one day when the receptionist told my boss that I was trying to "take over her job" and that I liked to rub my typing skills in her face. Later, the guy contacted me because he needed me to do his catalog...I did, but I charged him twice what he was paying me before to haul boxes around!
capt_buzzard

The Worst Job EVER

Post by capt_buzzard »

My worst job was, as a student of 17 years, I worked in a city morgue for the summer holiday's:thinking:
lady cop

The Worst Job EVER

Post by lady cop »

capt_buzzard wrote: My worst job was, as a student of 17 years, I worked in a city morgue for the summer holiday's:thinking:at least your clients didn't talk back! :wah:
actionfigurestepho

The Worst Job EVER

capt_buzzard wrote: My worst job was, as a student of 17 years, I worked in a city morgue for the summer holiday's:thinking:

Any funny stories?
capt_buzzard

The Worst Job EVER

Post by capt_buzzard »

Funny Stories eh. I needed a stiff drink
Lon

The Worst Job EVER

Post by Lon »

The worst job that I ever had was scraping blood, bone & brain fragments from the walls and ceiling of a room where a gentleman had put a double barreled shotgun under his chin and fired . Fortunatlely it was not a full time job.
capt_buzzard

The Worst Job EVER

Post by capt_buzzard »

Lon wrote: The worst job that I ever had was scraping blood, bone & brain fragments from the walls and ceiling of a room where a gentleman had put a double barreled shotgun under his chin and fired . Fortunatlely it was not a full time job.you poor thing.Awful
lady cop

The Worst Job EVER

Post by lady cop »

capt_buzzard wrote: Funny Stories eh. I needed a stiff drinkor the stiff needed a drink? LOL
capt_buzzard

The Worst Job EVER

Post by capt_buzzard »

ArnoldLayne wrote: There was once a job in medieval Britain that was highly regarded by many in those days. One of high office for those who were lucky enough to be awarded the post.

It was The Groom of the Stool, one had the privilige of wiping the royal bum with a napkin. Given the high Atkins like diet (plenty of red meat ) and the size of Henry VIII bottom, this must be one of the worst jobs in history by any standards:wah: :wah: :wah: Your Arse is now clean me Lord
K.Snyder

The Worst Job EVER

Post by K.Snyder »

All of them

Im a gambler now
Clint

The Worst Job EVER

Post by Clint »

ArnoldLayne wrote: There was once a job in medieval Britain that was highly regarded by many in those days. One of high office for those who were lucky enough to be awarded the post.

It was The Groom of the Stool, one had the privilige of wiping the royal bum with a napkin. Given the high Atkins like diet (plenty of red meat ) and the size of Henry VIII bottom, this must be one of the worst jobs in history by any standards
I'm feeling much better about unemployment now.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
ghost ship in a storm

The Worst Job EVER

Post by ghost ship in a storm »

Can't compare with performing daily royal stoolectomies, but one Summer holiday in my fast retreating Uni days I got a job working telesales for a certain home security company who later had the "honour" of appearing on the BBC's "Rogue Traders" programme. To my knowledge the firm is still going (I visited my parents recently: they run ads for staff apparently every week in the local paper: the kind of ad that doesn't actually specify what the job is...) so much as it would please me to name and shame the company I've no wish to run the potential risk of alerting "m'learned friends".

The job: phone up lists which contained phone numbers mainly belonging to old people, try to appear "official", talk about rising crime rates and attempt to persuade them to have a "completely free risk assessment" from our "local qualified consultant". I don't think I need explain what that involved and within the firm there was no pretence that it meant anything else. The way the whole operation was ran sang loud and clear "Boiler Room".

I worked four days before I quit (probably at least three days too long in hindsight) and got a Summer job working in a pub. I just don't have it in me to take advantage of vulnerable people in that way.
nvalleyvee

The Worst Job EVER

Post by nvalleyvee »

The man at th e I talked to them last week about what was needed to register a vehicle from Utah in NM. I had to go back 2 times today and that little man with shriveled up testicles made me mad 3 times. On my return trip - yes 2 times today - he said I still didn't have the proper paperwork. Then he said something very derogatory about my marriage. It was all I could do not to go over the counter and rip the last remaining 10 hairs off his head. Luckily I got a lovely lady at the counter - I thanked her many times - and we got a temp registration.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
LottomagicZ4941

The Worst Job EVER

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

One day the temp service asks if I can be in Greeley in 10 minutes.

I tell them it is a 30 minute drive minimum even if I find the place right away.

They instruct me to be at such and such as soon as possible.

So I go and the guy is all upset that I'm late and he tells me to just go back to the temp service.

So I go back. They tell me to go back. And I actually get a write up in my file for being late.

The job was tossing old eather soked rags through a machiene that counted them.

Some people seemed to enjoy doing that but it gave me a major headache.

Lotto

Hates job searching

MagicZ4941A
Accountable

The Worst Job EVER

Post by Accountable »

Well I guess next time you'll do like you're supposed to! :D

1979, Ruston, LA. Just a few miles from glorious Grambling State University, alma mater of more black NFL players than any other university. I got a job at Payless Shoe store, supposedly as a stock boy/cashier. What I was used for was shoplifting watchdog. The manager would point out a person, inevitably a black person, usually a woman. My job was to stand and watch to make sure there was no theft. I was not to assist the "customer" (I put it in quotes because of course they were only there to steal). Their asking for help was only a ploy to distract me while they stuffed the high-quality plastic Payless shoes down their pants. I lasted almost 2 weeks before I walked out in embarassment and anger.
lady cop

The Worst Job EVER

Post by lady cop »

ACC...may i ask you why? was it because of the bigotry? i did undercover shoplifter work for years and never 'profiled'. were you told to profile? shoplifting is no joke, i made 1500. dollar busts. not plastic shoes or candy bars.
Accountable

The Worst Job EVER

Post by Accountable »

Most definitely bigotry. Good customer service is as good a deterent, but he preferred intimidation, and used me to do it. *shudder*

Return to “Work Employment”