Interviewing Questions

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Accountable

Interviewing Questions

Post by Accountable »

How long should one wait after a first interview to check in?
Wolverine

Interviewing Questions

Post by Wolverine »

i don't know.

i would say no longer than a week.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Bez

Interviewing Questions

Post by Bez »

Wolverine wrote: i don't know.

i would say no longer than a week.

I agree....it is a 'souless' company that lets an interviewee wait in agony for the results of their interview.

Are you waiting then ACC ? How long for ?
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
robinseggs

Interviewing Questions

Post by robinseggs »

I agree too. But no less than a week either. At the close of the interview one should ask if they may contact the other the following week or at least decide on an estimated time to speak again. For the potential employee it could show they have initiative and are eager to hear a decision. If nothing was decided at close of interview of when they will talk again, then definately wait one week from day of interview.
Nature laughs Last
SOJOURNER

Interviewing Questions

Post by SOJOURNER »

Absolutely you must follow up with a thank you for the interview letter.

Emphasize why you would like the job and what you can add to their company.

Anything that will be a "mind sticker" to them. Then follow up with a phone call inquirying if they have made their selection/when they anticipate having a decison.
Accountable

Interviewing Questions

Post by Accountable »

Bombed the thank you letter. Forgot all about it. The job I really want, I interviewed Friday. We clicked, but the manager, who studies the cutting-edge management literature, wanted to let it marinate over the weekend. He said he would be in touch early this week. It's Wednesday. I want to send an email.

Opinions, please.
BabyRider

Interviewing Questions

Post by BabyRider »

He said "Early this week"?? Definitely call. Email could get looked over, not checked, etc. Call. Now. Shows initiative, determination, a true desire for the job and keeps YOU forefront in the mind of the interviewer. Call!!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

SOJOURNER

Interviewing Questions

Post by SOJOURNER »

YES! CALL!!

Inquire if he's made a decision yet.

Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.
Accountable

Interviewing Questions

Post by Accountable »

Great! Because that's another management technique from some of the older books: set someone else up that you can blame if it gets screwed up. :wah:

I called. Had to leave a voice mail. This is a dream job for me. I definitely don't want to screw this one up.
weeder

Interviewing Questions

Post by weeder »

Accountable wrote: How long should one wait after a first interview to check in?
It depends .to me, on what level of responsibility one has applied for. Management positions, those that fall into the bigger compensation packages, sometimes require more time for a decision. I was interviewed for a position in Virginia on or around September 13th. Returned to Georgia on the 15th. Immediately mailed off my Thank You. They received it around the 20th. The interview was about 2 and one half hours long. I felt very very secure that the job was in the bag. Heard nothing.......... I just received a letter on October 8th.

My second interview is scheduled for October 20th. That equals.... 18 days waiting to hear something. However, dont let them forget about you. As Im sure you know... there is a fine line between over anxious and very interested.

Having as great a command of the English Language as you do.... You can drop them a line, and get across an inquiry with class.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Accountable

Interviewing Questions

Post by Accountable »

Thanks, Weeder. It is a position with the leadership development department of the largest Caterpillar dealership in Texas. The dept. is set up as a susidiary corporation, with profit/loss, outside clients, the works. So, while it is not an executive position per se, it deals with executives at the highest levels as consultant.
weeder

Interviewing Questions

Post by weeder »

Well then.... I definately think they would take a bit of time to make a final decision on a candidate. If whoever is responsible for making the choice... should make the wrong choice... their credibility is on the line. For a position of this level, I think a letter is in order. Better opportunity to express yourself.. Good Luck. I know that waiting is nervewracking.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Clint

Interviewing Questions

Post by Clint »

Sorry I got in on this one late. Calling was the right thing to do. I just went through the same thing. I was told I would be contacted early the next week. I waited until Thursday morning to call and had to leave a message. He called me back to tell me I'm their first choice. Now I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for the offer.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Clint

Interviewing Questions

Post by Clint »

flopstock wrote: Well geezs boys, I don't think it's too late in the year for a celebration barbeque, if things work out here for both of you...:D

I'll bring the corn on the cob....

seriously - fingers and toes crossed for both of you. :-6
Thank you. A celebration barbeque would be a blast.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Interviewing Questions

Post by Accountable »

If this one comes through for me, I might even consider flying a couple of people here for the celebration!

One way, of course. :yh_blush
venus

Interviewing Questions

Post by venus »

I've got my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you both...:wah:

Seriously hope it all comes good for you two..

and as my gran always says, if you don't ask you don't get!!
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
Wildfire

Interviewing Questions

Post by Wildfire »

Accountable wrote: How long should one wait after a first interview to check in?

Be keen - you can follow up the following day - after 24 hours they should have decided. People recruit attitude!
Accountable

Interviewing Questions

Post by Accountable »

I just got a phone call from the dream job. He (the boss not the job) was in Fargo North Dakota all week and had no cell phone service. He actually used the words "I think you would be a good fit for the company." The problem (isn't there always a problem?) is that they want the next person to be located in Dallas.

My beloved & I are going to Dallas for the weekend to look around to consider relocating.

The whole interview process will be at least a month.
venus

Interviewing Questions

Post by venus »

Thats good news Acc, bummer about the relocate though..

Ive still got it all crossed for you:D
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
actionfigurestepho

Interviewing Questions

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Relocating for your dream job would be so worth it! I hope you two can find a place to live in Dallas that will be just as exciting as your new job!
Accountable

Interviewing Questions

Post by Accountable »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Good for you Acc. Just hope that doesnt mean you will spend less time here.I really dont think I could cope
The technical training alone atests to that. :D
Accountable

Interviewing Questions

Post by Accountable »

Thanks Venus & Action. Still premature, though. The good thing is we're still living in an apartment with most of our crap in boxes. The plan was to find a job then find a house close by. That part of the plan is still in place.
SOJOURNER

Interviewing Questions

Post by SOJOURNER »

Accountable wrote: I just got a phone call from the dream job. He (the boss not the job) was in Fargo North Dakota all week and had no cell phone service. He actually used the words "I think you would be a good fit for the company." The problem (isn't there always a problem?) is that they want the next person to be located in Dallas.

My beloved & I are going to Dallas for the weekend to look around to consider relocating.

Congrats to you on whatever you do.

A trip anywhere is usually very nice. Perhaps this is where you are meant to be!

Be open. If it doesn't suit the two of you, you can always thank them for the offer and decline. Who knows, if you don't like Dallas, there may be another location offered to you...............
theia

Interviewing Questions

Post by theia »

Accountable wrote: I just got a phone call from the dream job. He (the boss not the job) was in Fargo North Dakota all week and had no cell phone service. He actually used the words "I think you would be a good fit for the company." The problem (isn't there always a problem?) is that they want the next person to be located in Dallas.

If they knew you like we do at FG there would be no relocation, no month long interview process...they would be the ones waiting around...for your decision!
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Accountable

Interviewing Questions

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: If they knew you like we do at FG there would be no relocation, no month long interview process...they would be the ones waiting around...for your decision!

Yer 2 nice!

Return to “Work Employment”