How would you fix a broken team?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Clint

Post by Clint »

If you were about to start a new job and you were going to have to get an organization with thirty some customer service centers back on track, how would you start? Assume the organization has fallen into a bunch of individual units that are doing their own thing. Also assume that there is a lot of infighting and poor customer service
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
pina

Post by pina »

Sack the lot and start again...... no! just joking :D

I would sort through the staff get rid of the ones that are no good or let them know that if they dont do their jobs properly they will have to go, make sure all the units have good managers or supervisors, have meetings to lay down the law that all units have to work together. Get tough from the begining.

Thats my way, but who am I anyway. Your the man and I'm sure you will do what needs doing to get it all running smoothly.

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I'd start by uniting the heads of each service center under several "district" units each reportable to you. I'd try to instill some incentives - even if it is just free movie passes for now. I'm not really a big organizer so that is all I have to offer. Sorry.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
abbey

Post by abbey »

You got a job working for British telecom!?? :wah:
Clint

Post by Clint »

abbey wrote: You got a job working for British telecom!?? :wah:
Something like that I think. :wah:
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: If you were about to start a new job and you were going to have to get an organization with thirty some customer service centers back on track, how would you start? Assume the organization has fallen into a bunch of individual units that are doing their own thing. Also assume that there is a lot of infighting and poor customer service

If they were united once, it might be an idea to find out why things have 'fallen apart' ....call a meeting, conduct a survey, create a newsletter to generate some interest, find a common goal...sounds as if their motivation has gone 'down the pan'...I wonder why !
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Clint

Post by Clint »

nvalleyvee wrote: I'd start by uniting the heads of each service center under several "district" units each reportable to you. I'd try to instill some incentives - even if it is just free movie passes for now. I'm not really a big organizer so that is all I have to offer. Sorry.
We can assume the district managers are in place. I like the use of incentives. You know...like... you play with the team and you get to keep your job.:wah:

Seriously, incentives in some form sound good.

Thanks
Clint

Post by Clint »

Bez wrote: If they were united once, it might be an idea to find out why things have 'fallen apart' ....call a meeting, conduct a survey, create a newsletter to generate some interest, find a common goal...sounds as if their motivation has gone 'down the pan'...I wonder why !
I think a newsletter would help people understand the common goals. I think we can assume the motivation was lost during the leadership or lack thereof by a retiring administrator.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Clint wrote: We can assume the district managers are in place. I like the use of incentives. You know...like... you play with the team and you get to keep your job.:wah:

Seriously, incentives in some form sound good.

Thanks

:yh_rotfl - Like I said - I've never been there done that -- sounds like you are getting some good advice though.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Lon

Post by Lon »

Clint wrote: If you were about to start a new job and you were going to have to get an organization with thirty some customer service centers back on track, how would you start? Assume the organization has fallen into a bunch of individual units that are doing their own thing. Also assume that there is a lot of infighting and poor customer service

A "Standards of Performance" needs to be communicated to each of the 30 customer service units with the head of each unit held personally responsible for the implementation. The head of each unit would be responisble to report directly to you on a regular basis as to the results. Make adjustments of personnell (fire or promote from within) based on the reporting.
Clint

Post by Clint »

Far Rider wrote: Clint...

Now were talkin my specialty here...

Long time ago, my job was to assess leadership abilities, pull those who possessed a working leadership style and train them, then id group the followers under the natural leaders and train them in small groups.. we'd fosus on leadership skills, communications and then thier individual specialties... in my case it was weapons... and easily learned skill. I left the tactics and strategy up to the leaders...

So heres what I'd do if i were you...

make personal visits, first as a customer with them not knowing who you are. second as a fellow worker same senario, third as their new manager...

look for the leaders, train them well to your standard. teach them to teach the others....

in every group i trained... humans are pretty much the same animal. be honest, be upfront, keep your word, gain their respect...model teamwork at every move.

I know im not telling you anything new...

btu thats what id do...start by assessing the leadership skills they already have.
Solid advice as usual. Thanks Far.
Clint

Post by Clint »

Lon wrote: A "Standards of Performance" needs to be communicated to each of the 30 customer service units with the head of each unit held personally responsible for the implementation. The head of each unit would be responisble to report directly to you on a regular basis as to the results. Make adjustments of personnell (fire or promote from within) based on the reporting.
Reporting and accountability are a must. Thank you Lon.

Return to “Work Employment”