Smart Car better than Toyota Prius

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
bobmielke

Post by bobmielke »

I bought a 2009 SmartForTwo Pure a few years back knowing that I was about to retire. I'd been looking at the Mercedes Smart cars for years but only got serious about purchasing one when they began manufacturing them in France for sale in the United States. Up until that development cars coming from Europe had to be modified to meet U.S. emission standards, adding $8,000 to the sticker price. When I saw the price drop to $13,500 I was hooked. The car gets between 36-41 mpg depending on driving conditions.

I'm constantly running into Prius drivers that brag that their cars get 50 mpg. What they haven't figured out yet is that their Prius costs them twice the sticker price when purchased new compared to my Smartie. It would take about 18 years of driving their Toyota to equal the savings I got buying my car. And, my car's more fun to drive. :yh_rotfl Check out these YouTube videos!

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Nice car, Bob. My wife and I drove a friend's a few days ago - not bad - a little cramped and the transmission shifting takes some getting used to, but otherwise I'd be all for owning one. I recently totaled the wife's Volvo and advised her to get a Smart, but she shied away due of the size factor. I ended up getting a Ford Transit Connect for my business and she got my Subaru Outback LLBean 3.0.

You're right about the Hybrid comparison though - buying one is a serious joke because the dealerships will not negotiate price. The reduction in price of the Smart will hopefully begin some price competition, maybe not. Hybrid owners are going to be in for a major shock when their cars begin to break down too, I'd guess, because the dealers will be the only repair shop prepared to deal with them and dealerships gouge customers in circumstances such as that.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
bobmielke

Post by bobmielke »

To me buying a hybrid is like being a little bit pregnant. We need to break away from gasoline cars.
gmc

Post by gmc »

You must have straight roads where you live , the handling on those things is crap. I went for an aygo, handles better, four doors and more economical.

Return to “Autos Vehicles”