6 toes on every foot...

Discussions about your pets!
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Had a brief conversation with my husband last night when he got home where I told him we were taking In a 10 week old kitten and oh, by the way, It's deformed.

I've been doing some research and found this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyl_cat

Going to collect her later tonight and I'll take some pics and pics of her feet.

I have had cats like this In the past and often the external deformities are the tip of the Iceberg and there's more problems Internally which lead them to have short lives.

She was due to be dumped In the Kill Shelter so how could I say No ?

Names.... anyone got any Idea's ? I like Caspar, Peter likes Charlie but we're stumped... any suggestions ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tude dog

6 toes on every foot...

Post by tude dog »

Toby
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

tude dog;1435696 wrote: Toby :wah:

Clever
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

6 toes on every foot...

Post by Snooz »

Polydactyls are super common over here and I've never heard they had shorter lifespans but then it's never come up. Ernest Hemingway's cat bred a mess of polydactyls that are all over Key West Florida now, they're kind of a trademark there.

Polydactyl Cats: The Charm of Big Feet | Mental Floss

Super cute, I can't wait to see yours.
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

SnoozeAgain;1435705 wrote: Polydactyls are super common over here and I've never heard they had shorter lifespans but then it's never come up. Ernest Hemingway's cat bred a mess of polydactyls that are all over Key West Florida now, they're kind of a trademark there.

Polydactyl Cats: The Charm of Big Feet | Mental Floss

Super cute, I can't wait to see yours. Just been reading they made their way to England as ships cats and apparently, most are descended from Maine C.oons which ties In as they are American cats.
flopstock

6 toes on every foot...

Post by flopstock »

That my cat ellie. Very smart cat. Very friendly cat.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

flopstock;1435722 wrote: That my cat ellie. Very smart cat. Very friendly cat.

I've just got her home.... Like Ellie, she's very friendly and appears sharp as they come.

She's been treated by a Vet because she had weeping sores on all feet. This was due to where she was born, being In a urine soaked cage for the first part of her life. She's still going to need the ointment for a few weeks on her pads where the urine has burnt them.

There's one front paw that Is quite deformed and It seems to Impede her slightly but the others although huge seem to not bother her.

While I get dinner, she's being left alone with Oscar my Persian to get aquainted In peace and quiet. No spitting or hissing as yet so It's looking good.

We'll keep her like that for a couple of days and then gradually Introduce her to the dogs.

Peter will get pics after dinner.

Oh and we've named her.... Q

Short for Quevega
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

Here she Is.... and her front feet...

Attached files
Snooz

6 toes on every foot...

Post by Snooz »

She looks very sweet and calm. I love tuxedo cats.
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

SnoozeAgain;1435729 wrote: She looks very sweet and calm. I love tuxedo cats. She has a cracking pair of whiskers...

She's curled up on my bed now fast asleep so that's a sign she feels relaxed and comfortable.
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

She settled really well last night. I let her sleep on our bed where she purred away all night. She's had lots of cuddles and face rubbings. It's looking good.
tabby

6 toes on every foot...

Post by tabby »

She's lovely! :-4
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

tabby;1435766 wrote: She's lovely! :-4 Thanks Tabby.... we are just getting to know her but she's just soooo calm and lies In your arms like a baby. An absolute sweetie nature.... We couldn't have asked for better.... We adore her already.
flopstock

6 toes on every foot...

Post by flopstock »

oscar;1435726 wrote: Here she Is.... and her front feet...

She's beautiful!
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tabby

6 toes on every foot...

Post by tabby »

oscar;1435810 wrote: Thanks Tabby.... we are just getting to know her but she's just soooo calm and lies In your arms like a baby. An absolute sweetie nature.... We couldn't have asked for better.... We adore her already.

She probably thinks she's died and gone to heaven!
Snooz

6 toes on every foot...

Post by Snooz »

Are you just fostering for a short time or are you thinking of making it permanent?
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

SnoozeAgain;1435820 wrote: Are you just fostering for a short time or are you thinking of making it permanent?

When I heard she was about to be dumped at the shelter, It was always the Intention of giving her a Forever home. She's part of the family now.:-4
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

The main reason for taking In ' Q ' was to save her going to the animal shelter and an uncertain future but we also hoped she'd bring Oscar out of himself.

Every cat needs a companion and Oscar has been lonely since his companion died a few years ago from old age.

This evening has been an absolute joy to see Oscar scumpering around the house again playing with ' Q ' In chase me chase me games...
Snooz

6 toes on every foot...

Post by Snooz »

We need a lot more photos, please.
Oscar Namechange

6 toes on every foot...

Update.....

Quevega or Q for short ( yes I named her after one of Willy Mullin's race horses ) continue's to thrive. She's really brought our older cat Oscar out of himself. She loves exploring the garden especially the bit we deliberately let over grow for the birds and spends quite some time sitting on the bird table watching.... waiting.

She's an absolute sweetie and a real cuddle cat who follows us to bed at night to settle between our pillows.

It's always the way that rescue gives us the very best. 2nd pic.... just look at the size of that paw !!!!!

Attached files
Snooz

6 toes on every foot...

Post by Snooz »

She's adorable. I've always been partial to tuxedo cats.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”