Breed All About It!

Discussions about your pets!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1458117 wrote: This is the Wiki page about Lurchers. You can see why I thoughts what it was.

Lurcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes the Lurcher dose closely resemble the Vizsla.... it is hard with all the breeds and cross breeds out there to tell...one would have to be an expert of dog breeds....

Thanks for sharing!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Snowfire;1458123 wrote: My next door neighbour had a Hungarian Vizsla. Apparently very easy to train and didnt bark. A little boisterous and afraid of his own shadow but very sociable and friendly.

He looked a little different from the photo though and I agreed with Oscar and though it was a Weimaraner

Snowfire! Glad to see you posting here :)

All I know is what the Owners tell me...I am by no means a 'reader of dog breeds" but once you see breed after breed over many years you come to recognize them.

And I too find the Vizsla very sociable and friendly.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1458122 wrote: That is an Egypt Pharoah Hound. Physically, they look like a cross between a Dobie and a Greyhound, but with thicoppery brown coat. Not unlike your pup from earlier.

Egypt Pharoah Hound heh? New one on me! I think his snout is a little longer but still a real cutie!!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1458121 wrote: Kohdi looks like a Pakistani Mastiff to me but I bet I'm wrong.

Bodi looks like a Bassett Hound

That's cuz he is!!!! You should hear him when he gets running and playing chase! OMG! It sound like War World II sirens! :yh_rotfl
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This dog does not bark! What breed is he. His name is Nome.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Meet Zena who loves to catch Frisbees...that is all she live for! No interaction with other dogs or people.

Funny how some dogs come to the Dpk to play with other dogs, others come to visit with humans (and get lots of hugs and rubs) and others come to chase a tennis ball or Frisbee and want nothing to do with anything else. I tell the park Patrons that dogs are just like people and they each are there own unique individual. Don't try to change it...just let them be in their liking....and enjoy it.

Any takers for her breed?
Peter Lake

Breed All About It!

Post by Peter Lake »

Lady J;1458236 wrote:

This dog does not bark! What breed is he. His name is Nome. I have a feeling this one is a Chinese breed but can't for the life of me, think of it's breed.

All credit to your wonderful photography skill. You have the art of capturing the moment.
Peter Lake

Breed All About It!

Post by Peter Lake »

Lady J;1458237 wrote:

Meet Zena who loves to catch Frisbees...that is all she live for! No interaction with other dogs or people.

Funny how some dogs come to the Dpk to play with other dogs, others come to visit with humans (and get lots of hugs and rubs) and others come to chase a tennis ball or Frisbee and want nothing to do with anything else. I tell the park Patrons that dogs are just like people and they each are there own unique individual. Don't try to change it...just let them be in their liking....and enjoy it.

Any takers for her breed? An English bull terrier?
Snowfire

Breed All About It!

Post by Snowfire »

peter lake;1458250 wrote: an english bull terrier?

bullseye !
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Peter Lake

Breed All About It!

Post by Peter Lake »

Snowfire;1458267 wrote: bullseye ! I beg to differ. I think it's an English bull terrier.
Snowfire

Breed All About It!

Post by Snowfire »

Peter Lake;1458268 wrote: I beg to differ. I think it's an English bull terrier.

Bill Sykes (Oliver Twist ) had an English Bull Terrier called Bullseye
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Peter Lake;1458249 wrote: I have a feeling this one is a Chinese breed but can't for the life of me, think of it's breed.

All credit to your wonderful photography skill. You have the art of capturing the moment.

Actually this breed comes from central Africa! It is a Basenji which is a breed of hunting dog that was bred from stock originating in central Africa.

The Basenji doesn't bark but instead produces an unusual yodel-like sound commonly called a "barroo", due to its unusually shaped larynx. This trait also gives the Basenji the nickname "Barkless Dog". My neighbors had one and I see two of them from time to time at the Dog Park.

And thank you Peter for acknowledging my photography....I'm working on making it better and better!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Peter Lake;1458250 wrote: An English bull terrier?

Snowfire;1458269 wrote: Bill Sykes (Oliver Twist ) had an English Bull Terrier called Bullseye

You both are right on the mark! It is an English Bull Terrier and yes it was claimed that Oliver Twist had an English Bull Terrier.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This is a very popular breed here in the USA. It has roots both in England and America.

Conrad and Jayden who almost took me out today!!

Penny, a high spirited mixed breed spotted me walking the park today and raced toward me and following her were Bodhi ( the Dalmatian looking Great Dane) Thor ( a German Shepherd), Conrad and Jayden and a mixed breed of pit bull. That was about 450 pounds of weight running full speed toward me! One of the Owners called out "Look Out! They are coming for you!" Dogs don't realize their own strength and I immediately moved up against a tree! Coward? ....no experienced. I have been "taken out" by packs of dogs playing and running and it is not fun - they just don't see you. Or if they do they think you want to 'play' too! :wah:

It doesn't help being the Park Attendant cuz they recognized me and know I give them attention.

Last year we called 911 twice for people who were injured in 'dog run in accidents'

So what breed are Conrad and Jayden?
Peter Lake

Breed All About It!

Post by Peter Lake »

Lady J;1458295 wrote: Actually this breed comes from central Africa! It is a Basenji which is a breed of hunting dog that was bred from stock originating in central Africa.

The Basenji doesn't bark but instead produces an unusual yodel-like sound commonly called a "barroo", due to its unusually shaped larynx. This trait also gives the Basenji the nickname "Barkless Dog". My neighbors had one and I see two of them from time to time at the Dog Park.

And thank you Peter for acknowledging my photography....I'm working on making it better and better! Didn't i say i'd be wrong? :wah:

Golden labrador retriever?
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Peter Lake;1458332 wrote:

Golden labrador retriever?

Yep! Conrad and Jayden are Golden Labs!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This is Flynn who often gives his Owners a real challenge when it's time to leave the Dpk as he doesn't want to go! Flynn's breed originated in the Swiss Alps and this breed accompanied the alpine herders and dairymen as a general farm dog.

What breed is Flynn?
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Some more interesting fun dog facts:

Dogs have a fantastic internal clock. They know when it’s time for walks, play, dinner, bed and always, always, when you come home from work — especially if you keep to a regular schedule. In fact, you might want to just start setting your watch to the dog.

A dog’s sense of smell is more than 100,000 times stronger than a humans. While humans have about five million scent receptors in their noses, a bloodhound has up to three hundred million. He knows where you hid that bone!

A dog can locate the source of a sound in 1/600 of a second and can hear sounds four times farther away than a human can.
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

I know that Labradors are the most commonly used breed for Guide Dogs, as they are highly intelligent, easy to train, and have an ideal temperament for domestic life.
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Lady J;1458498 wrote:

This is Flynn who often gives his Owners a real challenge when it's time to leave the Dpk as he doesn't want to go! Flynn's breed originated in the Swiss Alps and this breed accompanied the alpine herders and dairymen as a general farm dog.

What breed is Flynn? King Charles Spaniel
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Latest adventure with Pitstop.

We were on the road all day. Several days, actually. One evening we took an early break and pulled into a hotel near Pittsburgh.

We had an early dinner, and back to the hotel room, where I fed Pitstop.

The wife turned on the TV, and after the news, Jeopardy came on.

Pitstop decided she wanted to go for a walk.

I said, "Oh, no. we can't go while Jeopardy is on. As soon as it is over, we'll go for a walk."

After giving me a dirty look, she went over to her bed and lay down.

No sooner than the final music began to play while the credits rolled, Pitstop got up and came to me, and let out a bark, looked at the TV, then at the door.

And people say they can't understand English.

Pitstop:

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Breed All About It!

Post by Wandrin »

Pitstop is a great name for a dog. I wish I had thought of that. It would be very apropos since I spend so much time out on the road. One of the most difficult (and important) things I had to teach Jackson was "pee here now", where I pick the spot and time. Think of pouring rain and a pit stop beside a highway or back road. The time spent in the normal "search for the right spot - oh, what's that?" routine would mean that he would get thoroughly soaked, and for a Golden Retriever, that's a lot of towels to get him dry enough when he comes back in.

I know what you mean about him knowing when it was time (after your show). When I am thoroughly engaged on my computer and decide that after I finish this piece of code or this paragraph I'll take a break, it is that moment when he gets up and moves toward the door or otherwise indicates that he is ready and should be included in my "break". For him, it is almost as if he senses the moment I think about it, before I actually stand up or stretch or whatever I do.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1458561 wrote: King Charles Spaniel

Perhaps the miniature version....this is a Bernese Mountain Dog! Thank you Oscar for commenting! I just hope this thread helps others to learn more about dogs.

Bernese Mountain Dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1458568 wrote: Latest adventure with Pitstop.

We were on the road all day. Several days, actually. One evening we took an early break and pulled into a hotel near Pittsburgh.

We had an early dinner, and back to the hotel room, where I fed Pitstop.

The wife turned on the TV, and after the news, Jeopardy came on.

Pitstop decided she wanted to go for a walk.

I said, "Oh, no. we can't go while Jeopardy is on. As soon as it is over, we'll go for a walk."

After giving me a dirty look, she went over to her bed and lay down.

No sooner than the final music began to play while the credits rolled, Pitstop got up and came to me, and let out a bark, looked at the TV, then at the door.

And people say they can't understand English.

Pitstop:

LOL! Yes dogs understand more than most people think! did you know that a dog has the learning ability of a two year old. They can know over 250 words and can sense our emotions before we even realize them.

Pitstop is adorable! Looks like a Chihuahua?
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Wandrin;1458588 wrote: Pitstop is a great name for a dog. I wish I had thought of that. It would be very apropos since I spend so much time out on the road. One of the most difficult (and important) things I had to teach Jackson was "pee here now", where I pick the spot and time. Think of pouring rain and a pit stop beside a highway or back road. The time spent in the normal "search for the right spot - oh, what's that?" routine would mean that he would get thoroughly soaked, and for a Golden Retriever, that's a lot of towels to get him dry enough when he comes back in.

I know what you mean about him knowing when it was time (after your show). When I am thoroughly engaged on my computer and decide that after I finish this piece of code or this paragraph I'll take a break, it is that moment when he gets up and moves toward the door or otherwise indicates that he is ready and should be included in my "break". For him, it is almost as if he senses the moment I think about it, before I actually stand up or stretch or whatever I do.

Thanks for sharing Wandrin ! Dogs are an extension of our lives,; they help to make us whole.

Jackson is also a great name! do you have a image to share with us....we would luv to see what Jackson looks like!!!
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Great stories from Lars and Wandrin

Oh yes, dogs know more than we think.

My dogs and cats know damn well they are not permitted to get on the sofa's.... the solution ? Click on pic to enlarge

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1458951 wrote: Great stories from Lars and Wandrin

Oh yes, dogs know more than we think.

My dogs and cats know damn well they are not permitted to get on the sofa's.... the solution ? Click on pic to enlarge

:wah: I don't think there is one! YOU spoil your dogs!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...as a matter of fact they visited the dog park on Saturday after being in the AKC dog show. Chance won select in breed! He is the one with typical marking of white, black and tan.

Attached files
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Slightly off the beaten path...this image is of Misfit, a blind Doberman, born blind at birth.

Misfit comes to the park and plays with all the other dogs. Misfit's Owners held an auction and raised over USD $1800 and donated to the Dpk. With that money and some funds from a local dog park association an A-Fame was installed to compliment the Dpk agility course.

The dogs luv it and it has gotten them into the other agility pieces. Good stuff!

Attached files
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

That pic of Misfit looks positively evil. Instead of Red Eye, he has a bad case of Blue Eye.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1459466 wrote: That pic of Misfit looks positively evil. Instead of Red Eye, he has a bad case of Blue Eye.

Hahaha! FourPart....Misfit is far from evil! He was blind from birth and his 'dog' senses of smell, hearing and touch are magnified thousands of times over that of a normal dog...which outweighs any human sense.

When he visited the Dpk most people don't realize he is blind until he runs into something.

Great dog with awesome Owners!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Here is a breed that I rarely see at the Dpk. But I do have one that visits and his name is Rusty. He is full of energy and mischief play.

You across the pond should recognize this breed.

The Airedale Terrier (often shortened to "Airedale") is a breed of the terrier type that originated in Airedale, a geographic area in Yorkshire, England. It is traditionally called the "King of Terriers" because it is the largest of the terrier breeds. Bred from a Welsh Terrier and an Otterhound, the breed has also been called the Waterside Terrier, because it was bred originally to hunt otters in and around the valleys of the River Aire which runs through Airedale. In the United Kingdom this breed has also been used as a police dog.

Airedale Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thank you wikiped for the nature of this breed.
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

That's the type I mentioned earlier (or at least a bit of a mongrel of the type) which, at first appearance, looks to have a really wiry coat, but when you actually touch it, it's more like a throwover fleece.

He also has a thing about going between my legs whenever I give him any attention - something that Di hadn't even noticed before, but now that it's been pointed out to her she's realised that he does it with everyone.
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Lady J;1459642 wrote:

Here is a breed that I rarely see at the Dpk. But I do have one that visits and his name is Rusty. He is full of energy and mischief play.

You across the pond should recognize this breed.

The Airedale Terrier (often shortened to "Airedale") is a breed of the terrier type that originated in Airedale, a geographic area in Yorkshire, England. It is traditionally called the "King of Terriers" because it is the largest of the terrier breeds. Bred from a Welsh Terrier and an Otterhound, the breed has also been called the Waterside Terrier, because it was bred originally to hunt otters in and around the valleys of the River Aire which runs through Airedale. In the United Kingdom this breed has also been used as a police dog.

Airedale Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thank you wikiped for the nature of this breed. Your photography Is just stunning R... you really have a gift.
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Lady J;1458932 wrote: LOL! Yes dogs understand more than most people think! did you know that a dog has the learning ability of a two year old. They can know over 250 words and can sense our emotions before we even realize them.

Pitstop is adorable! Looks like a Chihuahua?

Yes, she is a Chihuahua. We got her when she was just weaned, from a puppy mill type who was going to "dispose of her" since he could not sell her. (She has a fairly pronounced underbite)

We had stopped where we met him, because grandkid had to "go", Hence the name.

She is a brilliant little critter, and she is very patient with us.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1459801 wrote: Yes, she is a Chihuahua. We got her when she was just weaned, from a puppy mill type who was going to "dispose of her" since he could not sell her. (She has a fairly pronounced underbite)

We had stopped where we met him, because grandkid had to "go", Hence the name.

She is a brilliant little critter, and she is very patient with us.

Sounds like a perfect name for a perfect best friend! So happy for you and yours in having this blessing! Dogs....what a gift!

Lady j
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This is Pepper!

She luves to chase the big trucks when they roll down the road outside of the Dpk.

The Cairn Terrier is one of the oldest of the terrier breeds, originating in the Scottish Highlands and recognized as one of Scotland's earliest working dogs. The breed is commonly used for hunting and burrowing prey among the cairns.

Attached files
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This is Aunt Bee!

Anyone have a guess as to what breed she is?
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Looks like an English Bulldog.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1460618 wrote: Looks like an English Bulldog.

Yes, Lars and English Bulldog! Until I started at the Dpk I didn't realize that there were different types of a Bulldog.

"The modern bulldog breeds descended from these dogs and those re-created through breeding programs include: alapaha blue blood bulldog, american bulldog, aussie bulldog, banter bulldogge, buldogue campeiro, Ca de Bou, catahoula bulldog, Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldog, English Bulldog, French bulldog, Olde English Bulldogge, Olde Boston Bulldogge, Victorian Bulldog, Valley Bulldog. All of these breeds have kept close to the original type and traits of the ancient bulldogs, even when adapting to their local living conditions." quote taken from Bulldog breeds.

These to me seem like Designer Breeds which I mention in a prior post.

I have seen a few of these bulldog breeds but all in all a good dog is a dog.:D
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Designer breeds are popular...pedigree dogs come with issues....what ever happened to the good ole' mutt?

Some times the better breed is no breed at all.

But all in all any dog is a good dog.

They will love you when no one else will.

They will sit by you and justify you.

A dog will make you feel whole.

Photos are Penny....who will follow me around the Dpk in my maintenance walk....and Charlie.

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Right now, there's a cool river with my dogs names on It... hope to get some pics for you... laters !!!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1460686 wrote: Right now, there's a cool river with my dogs names on It... hope to get some pics for you... laters !!!

well...we are waiting! :D
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

I have a dog here that is originally from the Portuguese region of the Algarve, from where the breed expanded to all around Portugal's coast, where they were taught to herd fish into fishermen's nets, to retrieve lost tackle or broken nets, and to act as couriers from ship to ship, or ship to shore.

There are two of them that come to the Dpk. Charlie and Carlos. I can't tell them apart! And the really cool thing is the Owner is from Portuguese as well. So I not only learn about another breed of dog but even more from the Owner!

This dog is a Portuguese Water Dog.

Learn more... https://www.akc.org/breeds/portuguese_w ... /index.cfm

Attached files
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Anyone know what breed this dog is....this is Girl...yep, that is her name.

Attached files
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

Looks like some sort of Beagle to me.
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Looks like a coonhound.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1461790 wrote: Looks like a coonhound.

You are right Lars and she howls like one too!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Here is another...an easy one with very expressive eyes...her name is Clare.

Attached files
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

Lady J;1462467 wrote: Here is another...an easy one with very expressive eyes...her name is Clare.
I was thinking a Red Setter, but while Googling to check, I found a Rhodesian Ridgeback which looks very much like it as well.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”