Recipe Request

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
chrisb84uk

Recipe Request

Post by chrisb84uk »

I've never even heard of Bakers toast Koo. I'm guessing it' s just a kind of toast, is that right or is it something different??
chrisb84uk

Recipe Request

Post by chrisb84uk »

Oh like honeycomb, I never would of guessed that from the name, I wonder why they called it that?? :-2
observer1

Recipe Request

Post by observer1 »

Sorry Koo, I've never heard of it either. I was thinking along the lines of French toast. DANG! Now I'm REALLY hungry!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
chocoholic

Recipe Request

Post by chocoholic »

:confused: Are you thinking of what I call Cinder Toffee (it's what the inside of Crunchie Bars are like)

If so PM me, I can give you 2 websites but I can't post them here because I haven't done enough postings and the system won't let me quote them!
JayDee

Recipe Request

Post by JayDee »

Where did you hear of it or try it?

One tiny thought- it's not a wind up, as they say over here?
donna

Recipe Request

Post by donna »

koochikoo wrote: Can someone help me please, I'm looking for a recipe for Bakers Toast. I've looked everywhere and I can't even find one on the net!

:-6
hi there koochikoo I remember my mum cooking bakers toast when I was a kid :wah: I have found it on the web under a different name I have just made it for my kids they loved it .its :) called hokey pokey web site recipezarr
donna

Recipe Request

Post by donna »

[QUOTE=donna]hi there koochikoo I remember my mum cooking bakers toast when I was a kid :wah: I have found it on the web under a different name I have just made it for my kids they loved it I will be makeing some more of it I am sure but remember it goes hard very quick its called hokey pokey and the web site is recipezarr I have never heard It called that in australia we have always called it bakers toast hope you enjoy it donna
donna

Recipe Request

Post by donna »

koochikoo wrote: Can someone help me please, I'm looking for a recipe for Bakers Toast. I've looked everywhere and I can't even find one on the net!

:-6try hokey pokey
donna

Recipe Request

Post by donna »

:-4 [QUOTE=donna]try hokey pokey[/I have tryed a web site called recipezarr
Tazmanicus

Recipe Request

Post by Tazmanicus »

I am about to check out Donna's suggested site for "Hokey Pokey" as I am a HUGE fan of bakers toast... as is my mother who i hope to make it for this easter...

For as long as i can remember here in Tasmania the honeycomb like sweet has been called bakers toast... but as i am still young (29) I went to the fount of most knowledge my great grandmother... who said that as long as she can remember it has been called bakers toast and she is turning 90 this year!!

so... if this is a successfull recipee i will let you all know!
Rosebud

Recipe Request

Post by Rosebud »

Sometimes I wonder about the theory of Synchronicity! I google Bakers Toast to see if a recipe exists for my childhood fave treat, and find another Tasmanian hot on the trail already. My memory is that we followed a standard toffee recipe (sugar, water and a dab of vinegar boiled to golden) then whacked in a spoon full of baking powder. Then you screamed and jumped around as it fizzed up and frothed all over the saucepan and the cooker and your forearms. Then you tried to scrape it onto some greaseproof paper in a lamington traY BEFORE IT SET LIKE CONCRETE FOREVER. Seem to remember Mum going beresk over the state of her saucepan and the kitchen.

Also remember that it broke your teeth if it set really hard. I wonder if it was the amount of baking powder or the consistency of the toffee when you banged thetwo together, but sometimes it came out fluffy and crisp and melt in your mouth, and other times it was the hardest stuff imaginable.

My first post - better have a look around the rest of the forum to see if you are my kind of people.

Tata
fizzwizz

Recipe Request

Post by fizzwizz »

It has to be a Tasmanian thing.

I'm sitting here thinking of Bakers Toast and thought I'd try and google a recipe for it, and its all Tasmanian's that have been here looking for it!!!

I remember it at country church fairs, thats all people would go to the fair for, the Bakers Toast. (not made by bakers, but usually women from the CWA!!!)

I think the consistency/success of the recipe would be the accurate amounts of the ingredients. I personally liked the crispy flaky kind that wasnt too hard on the teeth, the chewy sticky kind was the tastiest too.

I'll keep checking to see if anyone comes up with a proper recipe.

Wonder if its called something else outside of Tasmania? its not honeycomb, thats for sure

I can nearly smell it from here..

mmmm
nvalleyvee

Recipe Request

Post by nvalleyvee »

koochikoo;302086 wrote: Can someone help me please, I'm looking for a recipe for Bakers Toast. I've looked everywhere and I can't even find one on the net!

Bakers toast iswhat we call Texas toast ....it's thick bread... twice as thick as regular bread, If you want it really rich ... make it with cream instead of milk
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Inifin

Recipe Request

Post by Inifin »

Koochikoo,

Salvation at last! even though i'm sure you have found the recipe by now... it has been posted under here as "hokey-pokey" as it is known in New Zealand.

This treat was made for me by my mum in Tasmania where it is commonly known as "Bakers' Toast". I wanted to make it for my wife, as she had jogged my memory about it when discussing child-hood treats one time. I had googled it and couldn't find the recipe but came upon this post a few months ago, after a little searching by my family, they came upon a recipe in a book back home.

(funnily enough as my mother was reading this recipe out to me over the phone this morning, my wife asked me what exactly was "bakers toast" and when i told her she said it sounds like "hokey pokey" lmao)

Any way here's the recipe (not the one we always used, as it was larger quantities. But a good one all the same)

Extract from "THE WYVERN COOKBOOK"

4 TBspn Sugar

2 TBspn Golden Syrup

1 tspn Carbonate soda

Put sugar and golden syrup into a pan and boil hard for 7 min, stirring frequently

Add the Carbonate of Soda and stir vigorously, pour quickly into buttered dish

there you have it.. good old bakers toast!

interestingly this is also called peanut brittle in the US as they add peanuts into the mix when adding the Soda
Lon

Recipe Request

Post by Lon »

koochikoo;302086 wrote: Can someone help me please, I'm looking for a recipe for Bakers Toast. I've looked everywhere and I can't even find one on the net!

Quality Bakers Toast Bread White Calorie, Fat, Carb, and Protein Information at Sparkpeople.com
kerynns

Recipe Request

Post by kerynns »

I too was looking for the recipe on the net and found your request so got my old book out.

Bakers Toast - Like honeycomb

4 Tablespoons sugar

2 Tablespoons golden syrup

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Place sugar and golden syrup in a large saucepan and bring to boil. Boil hard 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add soda. Stir quickly and pour into buttered dish.:)
Maj

Recipe Request

Post by Maj »

I'm looking for a recipe for Bakers Toast too. It is like a honey comb , some of the ingredients are Golden Syrup and Bi Carb of Soda. I use to love it when I was a kid. Nothing to do with bread though.
Maj

Recipe Request

Post by Maj »

Oh thank you didnt see this post before.

Return to “The Kitchen”